Installing BarkBuster Storm handguards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
I have BarkBuster hand guards and Oxford heated grips on my V-Strom and love 'em, so I decided to put the same on my new (to me) FJR.

The BarkBuster site recommends the S7 kit and says you simply have to remove the bar end weights - end of story. Well, not quite.

When you remove the right hand weight it leaves the attachment sticking out well beyond the grip. This will not work.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

My solution was to remove the expansion fitting and cut off the piece that was too long and attach it the other end.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

This made the fitting more or less flush with the bar end.

07.jpg

08.jpg

The left side was a lot easier. The protruding piece was cut off flush.

09.jpg

10.jpg

The guard do contact my CeeBailey screen on full lock, but I'm very happy with the result and looking forward to trying them out.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Hope this helps anyone considering these guards.

If this has already been covered somewhere on the forum I apologize - I couldn't find it!

Very MacGyver like....those look pretty good.

Thanks for posting the pictures,

Jon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job,

I am curious how they look from the front. If you have time could you post a pick of them from the front of the bike.

Dave

Agggghhh!!! I've just discovered that these are not stock bar-end weights. I guess I had a throttlemeister and didn't know it :rolleyes:

That explains a lot! Thanks superfuzz

"This FJR learning curve is steeper than I thought."

Those look great!!

And now if you clip a tree while you are off-roading the Feejer, you won't bash your knuckles!! :p

PS - I was gonna tell you about the throttlemeister, but someone else (apparently) beat me to it.

Too bad, you could have sold that off for ~$50 to help pay for your new guards.

Those look great!!

And now if you clip a tree while you are off-roading the Feejer, you won't bash your knuckles!! :p

PS - I was gonna tell you about the throttlemeister, but someone else (apparently) beat me to it.

Too bad, you could have sold that off for ~$50 to help pay for your new guards.
Thanks Fred.

I feel a little stupid that I destroyed the Throttlemeister. Oh well, the salvaged parts are going to a deserving forum member :)

I'm keeping my V-Strom 650 for off-roading.

Thanks for the closeup pictures from the front.....looks good.

I checked them out on Bark Busters web site and it appears they only attach at the bar ends instead of two locations like they do on your V-Strom.

Do you they feel as solid as they do on your V-Strom?

Do you notice more or less bar vibration with these on?

Thanks,

Jon...

I checked them out on Bark Busters web site and it appears they only attach at the bar ends instead of two locations like they do on your V-Strom.

Thanks,

Jon...
Thanks Jon.

You are correct... the Storms only attach at the bar end, so they can never be as solid as the ones on my V-Strom. I mainly installed them, with the heated grips, for comfort.

I only put them on yesterday + the bike won't be 'on the road' for another month - I'm slowly getting it ready for a cross-Canada ride. So, not sure about vibration.

Thanks Jon.

You are correct... the Storms only attach at the bar end, so they can never be as solid as the ones on my V-Strom. I mainly installed them, with the heated grips, for comfort.

I only put them on yesterday + the bike won't be 'on the road' for another month - I'm slowly getting it ready for a cross-Canada ride. So, not sure about vibration.
Oh, interesting. I didn't pick up on that, and just figured they were like regular bark busters. Still, since you are only really using them as storm guards (for wind and rain) these brackets appear they will be plenty stout enough to support the hand guards. This seems like it will be a pretty elegant alternative to the V-strom type hand guards.

What was the total cost?

Oh, interesting. I didn't pick up on that, and just figured they were like regular bark busters. Still, since you are only really using them as storm guards (for wind and rain) these brackets appear they will be plenty stout enough to support the hand guards. This seems like it will be a pretty elegant alternative to the V-strom type hand guards.

What was the total cost?
I paid 105CAD + tax + shipping in Canada. Twisted Throttle distributes them in the US for 110USD + shipping https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5145/114/

I don't consider them expensive as they are very well made and imported from Australia.

Cheers.

Thanks,

Jon...
I helped out a local guy install these on his FJR, and we couldn't get the bar-end side tight enough to solidly hold the bark buster in place (well, if I wanted to break off the head of the screw, maybe I could've). At speed, it would rotate up (or down), causing a distraction, not to mention being totally worthless. He ended up taking them off, and I think getting the V-Strom kit.

I helped out a local guy install these on his FJR, and we couldn't get the bar-end side tight enough to solidly hold the bark buster in place (well, if I wanted to break off the head of the screw, maybe I could've). At speed, it would rotate up (or down), causing a distraction, not to mention being totally worthless. He ended up taking them off, and I think getting the V-Strom kit.
I can see that could be a problem. However, I can only move these by grabbing them with both hands.

I didn't mention in my original post that I drilled and tapped the clutch side to 8mm (from 6mm) to match the throttle side.

Guess I won't really know until I go on a test ride - can't wait.

Latest posts