Valve adjustment good

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
Got done with my valve check - all was good but it took an extra tool run to Sears. The worst part of this job is getting to them. As long as I was doing the valves, I removed all the PAIR stuff - I've had a set of covers - bought here - that have been sitting on the bench for a yr or so. AND, brand new irridium plugs!

I could not find the right feeler gages anywhere in my shop, so went and bought a new set. Of course, all they had were standard .001" increments - which converts to metric - and close enough for now, but I am going to try and source a good set of metric in .01mm steps - .001" = .0254mm

The tightest exhaust valves were the right #3 valve @ tight .008"/.203mm and left #4 @loose .008"/.203mm. On the intake coincidentally were the right #3, and both #4's, and they all came in @ a "loose" .006"/.152mm.

After several attempts at getting the cover back on with the gasket falling everytime, I put some glue to keep it in place; I'll retry tomorrow.

Now on to the TBI sync - I purchased a carbtune so "itching" to try it out. First time doing this too so I'll just take my time and double check my work along the way.

And as long as I was doing the valves, I removed all the PAIR stuff; I've had a set of covers bought here that have been sitting on the bench for a yr or so. AND, brand new irridium plugs!

I still have a long list but making progress on my maintenance plus old farkle tweaks and new additions. My rear tire still has good tread but will need to be replaced before I do a long run, so maybe after I get it back together I'll do an overnight Key West run or similar to use it up in a fun way! Well, that or I could do a burnout or three...

It is true that the most difficult part of a valve check is getting the valve cover back on without the gasket falling off! I slabbed a lot of moly lube on it and that helped. Did you put new o-rings on your coolant tubes?

I agree, keeping the gasket in place was the hardest part of the job. The biggest time saver was gluing the gasket in place and disconnecting the throttle cable from the grip to get extra room to install the cover.

I'll do an overnight Key West run or similar to use it up in a fun way! Well, that or I could do a burnout or three...
Jim,

Good Job! Now forget about the burnout and stop by on your way to Key West.

Last week I found a "05 on Craigslist with 5,185 miles on it. I called on it to go down

to Sunrise, FL to check it out- It had already sold. Now I am going on the "New Members"

section to look for the PRICK that stole my bike. When I find them, you can help me go

kick their ass... That was supposed to be MINE.

Seriously though, come down and you can check out the ST1300 and the Yamaha dealer

just got in a "12 FJR. I am in negotiations for it now. So far it is costing me BIG time. The

negotiations are with the wife.

I'll do an overnight Key West run or similar to use it up in a fun way! Well, that or I could do a burnout or three...
Jim,

Last week I found a "05 on Craigslist with 5,185 miles on it. I called on it to go down

to Sunrise, FL to check it out- It had already sold. Now I am going on the "New Members"

section to look for the PRICK that stole my bike. When I find them, you can help me go

Seriously though, come down and you can check out the ST1300 and the Yamaha dealer

just got in a "12 FJR. I am in negotiations for it now. So far it is costing me BIG time. The

Ugh! A Gen II? Are you LOCO?!?!?!

Why would you want one of those POS's?!?! And many of your farkles won't fit!

Don't make me ride to Florida to whoop your ass!

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

Ugh! A Gen II? Are you LOCO?!?!?!

Why would you want one of those POS's?!?! And many of your farkles won't fit!

Don't make me ride to Florida to whoop your ass!

:p
Pay no attention to the Gen 1 bigots; get a Gen 2 - come on over, accept change!

I'll let you know if I head down your way and yes, I would like to go to that dealership. You still wanting to do some more maintenance to your FJR?

The biggest time saver was gluing the gasket in place and disconnecting the throttle cable from the grip to get extra room to install the cover.
Ditto here. I tried several times to get the cover back on with grease - no luck. A little bit of stickum in the cover groove kept the gasket in place just fine... ;)

Disconnecting the cables was a very big help also.

Both times that I have done it the cover gasket stayed stuck onto the cover. Realizing that I would need it there for the re-install, I never unstuck it. Gluing it onto the one side semi-permanently seems like a good idea. :thumbsup:

The first time I did the job I removed the throttle tube from the handle bar and created a big loop of slack in the cables down near the engine. The second time i just pulled as much cable as I could get down into that area without removing the throttle. It can be done either way, at least on a 1st gen.

It is much easier installing the PAIR blockoff plates while the head cover is on your work bench. :thumbsupsmiley:

And replacing the plugs at the same time, while you are already all the way in there, is a no brainer good idea. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I agree, keeping the gasket in place was the hardest part of the job. The biggest time saver was gluing the gasket in place and disconnecting the throttle cable from the grip to get extra room to install the cover.
I used a strip of duct tap to hold the gasket in place. I pulled the tape off after the cover was on. I also found it easier to remove the throttle tube to get more room to work.

When you get enough miles on the bike think about changing the chain tensioner. The original equipment can be weak and have been known to fail. The new ones are stronger.