Going Flat Black, piece by piece

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quixote

Reaction score
P1010264.jpg
P1010259.jpg

Just finished painting a few pieces Flat Black on my 06 AE, now I'm waiting for the pipes, thinking I'll paint them flat black too, with the trooper mod, what do you think? i figure it will end up black all over eventually.

P1010264.jpg

Just finished painting a few pieces Flat Black on my 06 AE, now I'm waiting for the pipes, thinking I'll paint them flat black too, with the trooper mod, what do you think? i figure it will end up black all over eventually.
I am thinking you should Glassbeed the pipes to give that nice dull grey look. Better match and won't peel off.

Dave

Just out of curiosity, what possessed you to paint up perfectly good panels? I've painted two bikes but it's really hard to make myself paint up perfectly good panels.

Hrm...I do suppose if I found a sweet deal on one of those ugly brown 07's I wouldn't have any problem spraying it up....but the rest...no.

Looks good, what are you using for paint? Are you doing any kind of top coat to keep it from buffing smooth? Can't wait to see it finished.

i've always had Black bikes, just seems right to go in that direction. I wasn't thinking I'ld topcoat it but I'll see how it wears. It's really not a big deal to repaint, a can of rustoleum and and afternoon of sanding and spraying. The tank I'm thinking of getting down by a pro, maybe a black/grey skull theme, but that can wait. i am thinking there the pipes should be done well, I know there are a few options, anyone heard of patina for stainless,, can it take the heat? I saw something on youtube but maybe glass bead is the way to go. i think there are couple of guys that have done thier pipes black here. I bought the pipes that were posted here, a little damaged so I still will have the stock pipes if I ever sell or really don't like them. Does anyone know the best way to make the pipes black without it burning off, scratching off, etc...?

The look reminds me of a Plastidip job. You know, the same stuff they dip pliar handles in. I did this to the rims, grill, and fender flares on my Toyota Tundra and it looks awesome. The beauty of it is that if you don't like it, you simply peel it off. If you don't like the flat black look, they make a gloss top coat also.

Ceramic coat is the way to go for the pipes if you have the money. I have done 4 our 5 harleys with the flat black look and that is the way to go. You could use VHT paint on the pipes, but you will always be touching it up.

Or I was thinking of spraying with truck bedliner spray from Home Depot, tough and won't scratch.

The look reminds me of a Plastidip job. You know, the same stuff they dip pliar handles in. I did this to the rims, grill, and fender flares on my Toyota Tundra and it looks awesome. The beauty of it is that if you don't like it, you simply peel it off. If you don't like the flat black look, they make a gloss top coat also.
This is what has been done to my MINI chrome trim. I like it but I'd rather have it painted. It comes off too easy and will need fixed too often.

Or I was thinking of spraying with truck bedliner spray from Home Depot, tough and won't scratch.
I've seen this before and its a fantastic looking flat black. Would be good on a Super Tenere as it's tough.

I think the panels will look good with the flat black you're doing but I think exhaust will look like crap if you paint it black. I'd do the whole bike flat black and leave the exhaust as is, the chrome exhaust should look great with it.

Looking good,I have some black round Pipewerx cans which will be going on my ride once the warranty runs out, love the flat black scheme, thinking of doing the same to my other toy,

I have always wondered how bad the flat paint would mark from a scuff, or a boot smack when throwing a leg over (us shortasses do that, a lot)

Lots of bikes can come stock in a matte....looks interesting, just not sure how practical.

the side panels look cool blacked out tho Murray, way cool :)