As close to windshield nirvana as I am going to get

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Squirrel

Reaction score
In my search for windshield nirvana I have been through some windshields. When I bought my bike it came with a cut down stock shield and a Cee Bailey flip. The shorty is great for riding here in SE Virginia during the summer but does not provide any protection when it cools down or in bad weather. The Cee Baily caused a lot of buffeting for me. For reference, I am 5'9" tall with a 32" inseam. I have a set of MCL risers on the bike that raise your handle bars up 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" closer to the rider.

I saw a thread where Rifle windshields were getting really good reviews, so I called the folks at Rifle and ordered a +3" windshield. That thing is a barn door! Even with the tuning block I was getting back pressure and significant buffeting in the up position. When I brought it all the way to the down position I did get smooth air over my helmet, but again that was not good for cold or inclimate weather.

Next came a California Scientific windshield. I called them and they sent me a Cal. Sci. medium. The Cal. Sci. removed the back pressure, but there was still buffeting either with or without the Rifle tuning block. The buffeting was reduced from the Rifle shield. The shield also has a hum that occurs right around 60 MPH on my bike. While I don't hold 60 a lot of the time, there are times that I do. The hum is annoying even with ear plugs in. Hmmmm.... Overall better than the Rifle but not the "nirvana" so many others speak of. The search would continue.

I found a thread where someone had installed a Gold Wing vent in their shield and though it was the mutz nutz. I found a vent online, ordered it up, and put it on the Rifle to see if it would solve the problems I had with the Rifle. While the Rifle is still a barn door the vent vastly improved my situation. The back pressure was gone and the buffeting was significantly reduced. However, all things considered, the Cal. Sci. did about the same job while using much less real estate. Still not the "nirvana" so many others speak of. The search would continue.

I had seen and asked about the MRA VarioScreen that Twisted Throttle has on their site (Note: I have no affiliation with Twisted Throttle other than being a consumer of their products from time to time). No one on this forum really knew much about them. I finally decided to bite the bullet and order one. It arrived a couple of weeks back. Last weekend I got around to putting it together and putting it on the bike. It isn't the coolest looking windshield I have ever saw, but it isn't too bad looking. With this shield I find there is no back pressure and very little buffeting in the full up position. In the down position (using the Yamaha adjustment, not the shield adjustment) I get clean air over my helmet. If I want more air I can lower the top portion of the shield using the Vario adjustment. Come summer I plan on removing the top shield and using the bottom as a shorty. Not only is the air flow clean around my head but my hands are in a dead zone when I hold them to the inside of my grips and are in clean air when I hold them to the outside of my grips.

After going through all of these shields I have come to the conclusion that there will be no such thing as windshield nirvana for me with the way I have this bike set up. That being said, the Vario is as close as I am going to get. For me this shield is a keeper.

A picture of the shorty:

Yamaha-3.JPG

The Cee Baily:

CeeBaily-1.JPG

I don't have a picture of the bike with the Rifle on it, but here is one of the windshield with the vent installed propped up against my garage door:

Rifle%20Windshield%20with%20vent.jpg

The Vario windshield:

Vario%20Winshield.jpg

Man...your a windscreen Whore!!! :D

The +2 Cee Bailey's works just fine for me (5'-10")

However over the years with different bikes I realize that what one person calls "helmet buffeting" another person calls a nice breeze. Your not ever going to sit in a perfect pocket of still air on a motorcycle. If you want that you need to drive your car with the windows up. lol

How do you adjust that Vario Screen? Just manually push the upper portion up or down? I notice a few notches in the top portion. Do you have to stop and take a minute to readjust it into one of the other mounting locations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting concept. It seems to take the principles of the Laminar Lip and apply them to a V-Stream shaped shield. I'd love to try one out, but the price of admission is not cheap at $220.

5114-425x350.jpg

Man...your a windscreen Whore!!! :D

The +2 Cee Bailey's works just fine for me (5'-10")

However over the years with different bikes I realize that what one person calls "helmet buffeting" another person calls a nice breeze. Your not ever going to sit in a perfect pocket of still air on a motorcycle. If you want that you need to drive your car with the windows up. lol

How do you adjust that Vario Screen? Just manually push the upper portion up or down? I notice a few notches in the top portion. Do you have to stop and take a minute to readjust it into one of the other mounting locations?
Yes, I have had more than my share of shields! :lol:

You can adjust it in two ways. You can adjust the shield itself by loosening two knobs that hold the upper shield to the lower shield and slide it up or down to some preset notches, or you can use the the FJRs motor to raise/lower the entire shield. I currently have the upper shield set all the way to the top position and am using the FJR to raise or lower the whole shield for varying conditions.

I've got a vario screen on all 3 of my FJRs. Tried several screens over the years and this is the best screen for me. You can make it even better by adding a couple of small tuning blocks under the front mount to angle the top of the screen back a little more towards the rider.

I know of one rider from Scotland that modified his Vario screen by replacing the smaller top part of the screen with a standard Yamaha screen drilled to fit the MRA sliding mount, he loves his modified screen and uses it year round . I've also tried the mod, its great for bad weather but I found it too big and ugly for general use.

To all the guys with a vario,

Hey guys I'm 6'4" and currently using a +5 rifle.. Barn door is right! The Vario just might be the nirvana for me. Question, what is the maximum height of the windshield? The twisted throttle site says 21.7 while Blind squirrel says 19.5.. Those 2 inches can make a big difference. Where are you guys measuring? I'm hoping the vario is as tall as my rifle. If it is,, I'm in...Lastly, what's the height of the bottom section.. Wondering if it is smaller than the Yamaha stock. Thanks for your help...Dan

As long as this thread is back, I have an update. I have a Cee Bailey 21.5" (no flip). I recently added a Laminar Lip purchased used on the forum. This setup is a lot like the 2-piece Vario windshield.

Problem solved. This setup allows a better angle of attack while smoothing out all buffeting and lifting the airstream over the top of my helmet without the backdraft. In a lower position, it channels a smooth airstream at my helmet with minimal noise. The Laminar Lip smooths the air and spoils the turbulence that used to spill off the top of the shield. This was pretty economical and I'm sticking with this.

To all the guys with a vario,

Hey guys I'm 6'4" and currently using a +5 rifle.. Barn door is right! The Vario just might be the nirvana for me. Question, what is the maximum height of the windshield? The twisted throttle site says 21.7 while Blind squirrel says 19.5.. Those 2 inches can make a big difference. Where are you guys measuring? I'm hoping the vario is as tall as my rifle. If it is,, I'm in...Lastly, what's the height of the bottom section.. Wondering if it is smaller than the Yamaha stock. Thanks for your help...Dan
I'll measure and post pics shortly.

I don't have a stock shield to compare it to. My +3" Rifle measures 24" from the center bottom to the center top of the shield.

Okay, from the center bottom to the center top of the shield with the top part extended all the way up, I get 19 5/8". Here is a picture of the shield, with top all the way up and the extended all the way up:

FJR%20With%20Vario.jpg

I am 5'9" tall with a 32" inseam. Here is an eye level shot with the shield all the way up:

Vario%20Up.jpg

It *might* be possible to get another 1/2-3/4" or so out of the shield if you are brave enough to extend the channel that the upper portion runs in. Take a look:

Vario%20Attachments.jpg

In addition to this shield, MRA also makes an adjustable bolt on spoiler that I would consider looking at if I were a taller person with something like a stock shield.

I don't have a stock shield to compare it to. My +3" Rifle measures 24" from the center bottom to the center top of the shield.

Okay, from the center bottom to the center top of the shield with the top part extended all the way up, I get 19 5/8". Here is a picture of the shield, with top all the way up and the extended all the way up:

FJR%20With%20Vario.jpg

I am 5'9" tall with a 32" inseam. Here is an eye level shot with the shield all the way up:

Vario%20Up.jpg

It *might* be possible to get another 1/2-3/4" or so out of the shield if you are brave enough to extend the channel that the upper portion runs in. Take a look:

Vario%20Attachments.jpg

In addition to this shield, MRA also makes an adjustable bolt on spoiler that I would consider looking at if I were a taller person with something like a stock shield.
Thank you for bringing this to the forums attention and mine in particular.

In the fit of PA weather of 70's in March I took my +5 Rifle off an put the stock on for the first time since I owned the bike. Forget about it! It is turbulence city in any position at all for me. And that is wearing a C3!

So have a Vario coming. Must have been a mad rush for them as it will not deliver until the end of April. I look forward to using it and hope it works as well for me as it works for you.

Must have been a mad rush for them as it will not deliver until the end of April. I look forward to using it and hope it works as well for me as it works for you.
Actually I think they order them up from their supplier when they get an order in. I ordered mine in early Jan. Got a notice saying it would ship late March. It arrived early March.

I'll be interested to read about your findings.

I had an oppurtunity today to do a 100+ MPH run (light traffic, loooooooong straight multi lane bridge, no cops). I got to 105 MPH as indicated on GPS and 110 indicated on my speedo. The air around me was smoooooooth. :yahoo:

I had an oppurtunity today to do a 100+ MPH run (light traffic, loooooooong straight multi lane bridge, no cops). I got to 105 MPH as indicated on GPS and 110 indicated on my speedo. The air around me was smoooooooth. :yahoo:
Well there you go. Just ride 100+mph all the time and your problem is solved!!! :D

It was about 85 degrees yesterday and I rode with the shield all the way down all afternoon to get maximum airflow to my face. Felt real good to have the air on me...kind of the opposite of your still air nirvana your going for. lol Had a few more bugs to wipe off my helmet but it was worth it!!!