Oil light came on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyriverbanks

Reaction score
Breaking in my new 2011. Was leaving home and noticed the oil light had came on. Was maybe a half mile from home. Still in neighborhood so was moving slow. Nothing wrong. Oil level normal. Started back up. No issue. Is this anything to be concerned about? has about 50 miles on it.

It's a level light not a pressure light and is known to come on some times. as long as the level is up no worries.

The oil level light on my old FZ1 would come on if the oil level was a millionth of millimeter below the full line. Does the light on the FJR tend to be similarly sensitive?

The oil level light on my old FZ1 would come on if the oil level was a millionth of millimeter below the full line. Does the light on the FJR tend to be similarly sensitive?
Haven't noticed the light to be overly sensitive. I only use a gallon per change and have never had the light come on. Level always ends up right in the middle of the bulls-eye.

YMMV

--G

Breaking in my new 2011. Was leaving home and noticed the oil light had came on. Was maybe a half mile from home. Still in neighborhood so was moving slow. Nothing wrong. Oil level normal. Started back up. No issue. Is this anything to be concerned about? has about 50 miles on it.
Mine has had the same issue, and annoyed me so much I've had the level sensor replaced under warranty.

The light would come on after a few minutes of riding, and go back off after another 5 minutes or so.

I had this done at the end of the riding season last year, and haven't had the bike out since to see if that solved it :unsure:

Conjecture that cool oil being pumped to the upper part of the engine is slow to return to the crankcase and trips some oil sensors that are slightly misaligned and are perhaps a bit too sensitive.

I had the same problem with my 08 when new. Scared the heck out of me because I wasn't sure how long it had been on when I noticed it? Stopped and centre stand check and the oil level was fine. Dealer replaced sender unit on warranty and it has been fine for the next 70,000 kms.