Okay....help me out here. Three forks logo?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexford

Reaction score
I was out in the garage the other day putting on my frame sliders and grip puppies and my wife is standing over me (actually bringing me a cold Killians) and asked me...."what do the three forks mean on the Yamaha badge"? I thought hell I don't know...This is the first Yamaha I've ever owned and have ridden nothing but HD's and BMW's...so I casually replied (lied out my ass) it means that this bike is so fun to ride, that you wouldn't mind missing the three meals you would use those forks on ie: Breakfast, lunch and dinner. So I know her and behind my back she will look this up....damn google! So what does the 3 forks stand for?

Hopeless in Dallas,

Rexford

Last edited by a moderator:
Ten bucks says she looked it up before she brought the Killians and wanted to see what you'd haul out of your ass. Test failed sir.

Yup, it's the musical part of the company that brings the logo.

Interesting to note...I saw a special on Yamaha and they actually have combined manufacturing facilities to save costs. Musical instrument parts and cruiser parts all get chromed in the same facility, they use the same cable manufacturing process for clutch cables, throttle cables, drum cables. Apparently there's lots of other places they've found crossovers between bikes and instruments to save costs.

They are tuning forks...Related to their music business. My mom has a Yamaha baby-grand piano that cost more than my FJR. The sound is beautiful and the piano is almost a work of art.

Yamaha receivers and stereo equipment are some of the best available.

So, you don't eat with those forks. You hit them and then tickle your ear with them.

... So what does the 3 forks stand for?
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.....

Really it is here:

"The three tuning forks of the Yamaha logo mark represent the cooperative relationship that links the three pillars of our business -- technology, production, and sales."
Whadda buncha . . . . I liked the three meals you missed one better.

I see the devil's work here... :D

3140.jpg

As a former regional rep and current LGM of a multi-marque dealership that deals in Yamahas I am going to chime in here. The three fork design, like a previous poster had stated, comes from the origin of the company. In 1887 Yamaha started out making pianos and pipe organs. Over the years they branched out into other parts of the musical instrument industry and in 1955 they built their first motor. Today Yamaha is one of the largest conglomerates in the world. Their expertise covers many different industries. In fact Ford even uses their motors in their small cars and truck today (i.e. Ford Taurus SHO). The company has stated in dealer marketing tools that the three fork logo is a representation of quality, workmanship and precision in all faucets of their company. Also like a previous poster had stated they recently condensed a major part of their manufacturing business to cut down on costs and assembly times. In Japan after WWII the US brought over the industrial philosophy of on-demand-supply or 5S. Basically what that means is the manufacturing facilities work on a lean production schedule and only have the materials available as they need them. Cuts down on all in cost, speeds up manufacturing time and reduces the amount of production run defects for a specific product line. The condensing of several "unrelated" parts of their production into a single facility is part of a Japanese custom of Kaizan, or making improvements to increase productivity. So like the previous poster had said, instead of having several different plating facilities you have one large one that can handle all aspects of plating for the entire product line. It was incredible to witness these facilities when I worked for the company. I spent about seven months over there walking the production floors and talking to the workers building the products I was presenting to my clients back home in the States.

It represents the 3 forks in the road every serious rider must face:

Pirates, Puffery, or Perfection.

You tried the first 2 now you have the 3rd.

As a former regional rep and current LGM of a multi-marque dealership that deals in Yamahas I am going to chime in here. The three fork design, like a previous poster had stated, comes from the origin of the company. In 1887 Yamaha started out making pianos and pipe organs. Over the years they branched out into other parts of the musical instrument industry and in 1955 they built their first motor. Today Yamaha is one of the largest conglomerates in the world. Their expertise covers many different industries. In fact Ford even uses their motors in their small cars and truck today (i.e. Ford Taurus SHO). The company has stated in dealer marketing tools that the three fork logo is a representation of quality, workmanship and precision in all faucets of their company. Also like a previous poster had stated they recently condensed a major part of their manufacturing business to cut down on costs and assembly times. In Japan after WWII the US brought over the industrial philosophy of on-demand-supply or 5S. Basically what that means is the manufacturing facilities work on a lean production schedule and only have the materials available as they need them. Cuts down on all in cost, speeds up manufacturing time and reduces the amount of production run defects for a specific product line. The condensing of several "unrelated" parts of their production into a single facility is part of a Japanese custom of Kaizan, or making improvements to increase productivity. So like the previous poster had said, instead of having several different plating facilities you have one large one that can handle all aspects of plating for the entire product line. It was incredible to witness these facilities when I worked for the company. I spent about seven months over there walking the production floors and talking to the workers building the products I was presenting to my clients back home in the States.

Good post.

Thank you for the hands on information.

Sure...this has the sniff of truth about it, but most lies of the debel do. Think 3 pitchforks (notice how the debel disguised them as tuning forks!) and you're on the right track! Beware of the She debel! :blink:

<just in case you don't know me, this post is entirely in jest...ie the debel made me do it>