How old is you 'Stitch/Other gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
I got to thinking about this from another thread in the "for sale" section where the guy was wondering how long the 'Stitch for sale would last.

Here's mine after 16 years and more than 160,000 miles including 19F to 118F, snow, hail, rain, sand storm and everything inbetween. Including four years of commuting in London winter salt and one minor crash. I'm on the right, Eric is wearing a new suit on the left.

P9260010rev01.jpg

I've had the zippers replaced once, the armour replaced (my mistake, I washed it with the armour in it), and most of the Velcro replaced too. I think it cost me $900 back in '96 so I'm averaging about $56/year. I spend more than that on dress shirts per year for work. It is also the only item in my closet, by a country mile, of this age that I wear on a daily basis.

No, I don't work for Rider Warehouse but I'm always pretty enthusiastic when I find something that actually works as advertised.

How old is you stuff? Post a picture. Anything more that 16 years old?

My KBC VR1 helmet is 8 years old looking a little worn around the collar but otherwise ok and still feels better/quieter than the new stuff. My gloves are AGV's and are 6 years old and have worn a small tiny rip/hole near my thumb pad but otherwise are in good shape despite some sun fading. It's tough to find good fitting gloves so I am holding onto them. Just bought some new AGV gloves and they are too big despite same size.

My Joe Rocket Blaster leather jacket is about 20,000 miles and looks and feels like new other than being very comfortable and broken in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't touch 16 years...

Favorite boots are still going strong after 12 years, Tourmaster Cortech Lite jacket is 11 years old and still love it. My jackets tend to not last too long as there always seems to be something better coming along that I gotta have! :)

--G

My ex-father in law was a dry cleaner. New York State law actually said dry cleaners couldn't launder and return handkerchiefs they found in a pocket. Sounded like something the dry cleaners got through so they wouldn't have to keep track of who's was whose. Anyway, he gave me a stack when I got back from overseas--a big stack. I've never bought one since, have one in my pocket every day, including when I ride. So, yes, I have quite a few 43-year old handkerchiefs (and they were used when I got 'em) that I ride with daily. Beat that. :p

I have a pair of Bates Leather custom leather pants that are 37 years old. They definitely don't look it. Only problem is their too tight to wear now.

Did not know leather shrinks with old age.... ;)

I have a 5-year-old Cortech HRX jacket that needs a new zipper, but is otherwise OK. It was a 200-dollar closeout when I got it.It's been scraped, having been on me during two low-side accidents, one of which required some stitching repair in a seam. The traveller on the zipper broke so I'm wearing my GX Air now as my daily jacket, for about 3 months now. The GX was a ONE hundred dollar closeout, and only slightly less tough than the HRX.

I had some Tour Master Solution boots that were still good on the outside, but the inside liner wore a hole that catches my heel and prevents my foot from going all the way into the boot. Lasted 4 years of daily use, including one of the aforementioned crashes, not bad for 95 bucks! Replaced them with another set that's coming up on a year now, showing no wear at all.

Pants I've not been so lucky with. The side zippers just seem to come apart, despite being careful with them. Tour master Venture aire overpants.

My lid is about 5 now, so it's coming up on time for a new one. I hate that, because it's perfectly sized and shaped, and I'll never find another one that fits like this. (Probably.)

My 2 piece stitch is rapidly approaching 7 years old and has approximately 50K on it. Still looks like new and has seen me through temps from about 20 degrees F to the "neighborhood" of 115-120 F in AZ. Best investment in riding gear I've made and thankfully the only issue was a near tip over from a snagged zipper pull.Zipper scare

I am a Harley guy, so I ride with none of that 'Power Ranger' superfluous shit.

Wanna see a pix of my au la natural riding gear? :blink: :lol:

Right, I guess what I meant with this thread is what do you guys/gals have and how long have you used it? I meant to put this in the LDR forum but jelled and it ended up here. Oh well, mods put it where it should be.

Helmets are another thing entirely. I generally replace mine every five years because of UV attack and advancements in the technology. But that's a subject for another thread.

I guess what I was getting at was what kind of longevity are you getting from your best every day gear? What's "Da Bomb" for investing in ATGATT? Gear that will go the distance without problems. We've all got stuff in the closet from the '80's (hell, I think I still have a set of leathers I bought from Bruce Hammer) but that's not what I'm on about.

And I hope this doesnt end up in NEPRT because I've never seen a gear longevity/durability/IBA thread before. It's usally a "my gear is XXXXX" without constraints about longevity/duribility/value for money

Maybe a poll? Helmet life/suit life/boot life/brand??? Without getting into gear details too much?

I bought my 2 piece 'Stich in early 2008 and since then it's the suit I go to the most. I've had some Joe Rocket gear that I bought before the 'Stich, but they just never felt as comfortable.

I've washed it once, had the wrist zippers replaced last year, but other than that it's done me through sun and rain, hot and cold. Brilliant piece of gear in my opinion - worth every penny I spent on it.

Here is a picture of the suit in August 2011 ...

6049133917_db63c55b15_z_d.jpg

I expect it to last a good number of years more. In fact I'll probably "outgrow" it before it wears out.

Ian

I bought my 'stich in Feb 1998 - so 14 yrs and still going strong. I had a small alteration made a few years ago, other than that no issues/repairs/etc.

I've probably got +/- 100,000 miles on it by now (I think?), daily commutes in and around LA when it was new, been across the continent west to east and back 3 times, and from Canada to Mexican border and back 3 times as well. And its still waterproof :)

Only thing is, the fabric seems to shrink with age...

Griff

Nothing I wore 16 years ago would fit me today. I'm working on that though.

My first armored gear came after I bought my FJR in 2007. Tourmaster pants and a Tourmaster Transition 2. Both have held up really well through lots of good and bad weather.

I have a newer Tourmaster Mesh jacket that I don't wear as often as the T2, but it will last a long time. Oh...And my Wilson Leather leather jacket that my wife bought me in 2004 when I had my VTX. I LOVE that jacket.

FWIW, I have a roping saddle that my dad got from his uncle, before I was born. I've ridden every horse we've ever owned with it, and roped more cattle than I can count. The seat cover needed replaced due to mice once, but not one rivet has ever failed. It is over 40 years old and will easily last another 40 years.

FWIW, I have a roping saddle that my dad got from his uncle, before I was born. I've ridden every horse we've ever owned with it, and roped more cattle than I can count. The seat cover needed replaced due to mice once, but not one rivet has ever failed. It is over 40 years old and will easily last another 40 years.
Got a picture of that mounted on yer FJR? :lol:

Bought my RC early in 2005 when I purchased an FZ6 and it's been my main riding gear since then (I do occasionally wear a Fieldsheer set). I had to replace the main zipper pull last year (it just flat wore out), but other than that, it's been rock solid. Seems like it's shrunk over these past couple of years (lol), so I'm thinking I'll send it in to Aerostich and have them upgrade the main zippers to the waterproof version, replace the worn out velcro, and also add in a mid gusset. Yes, it was very expensive when I first bought it, but it's probably saved me hundreds of dollars over the years as it's eliminated the need for other gear (owned my Fieldsheer set and a Joe Rocket jacket before getting the RC). I'd say the RC, in conjunction with LDComfort stuff underneath, make for the perfect riding combination.

kerr-dam-3.jpg

From a couple of years ago...

Not a stitch, but I have a Dainese jacket my wife got for me about 12 years ago. I'm not the type to replace gear every year just because I want new and shiny. When I get something broken in and comfortable there has to be a good reason for me to replace it. I hate hate hate new gear. Hate new helmets, new gloves. Takes too long to get my own funk in there and get em shaped right.

This jacket has almost been retired though. It is starting to show wear, but more importantly because I've moved and am moving to more versatile gear. However, this jacket served as my jacket for whenever I was on the bike. I wore it commuting for several years when I didn't have a car, I've worn it on trips and all over the place. It's been worn in the rain, in the cold and in the scorching Texas summer sun. I still love it and it's now my "Nice weather" jacket, which means it doesn't get quite the wear it used to as we in Texas don't have "Nice weather" except for what seems like two weeks in the fall and two weeks in the spring.

Pic of me in the yellow and black Dainese jacket on my itsy bitsy bandit.

fairfieldbandit.jpg

Oh and yea, it's awesome when you divide out the cost over the years. I could buy a cheapo $100 jacket every year and it'd be much worse than I did with this jacket.

Right, I guess what I meant with this thread is what do you guys/gals have and how long have you used it? I meant to put this in the LDR forum but jelled and it ended up here. Oh well, mods put it where it should be.

Helmets are another thing entirely. I generally replace mine every five years because of UV attack and advancements in the technology. But that's a subject for another thread.

I guess what I was getting at was what kind of longevity are you getting from your best every day gear? What's "Da Bomb" for investing in ATGATT? Gear that will go the distance without problems. We've all got stuff in the closet from the '80's (hell, I think I still have a set of leathers I bought from Bruce Hammer) but that's not what I'm on about.

And I hope this doesnt end up in NEPRT because I've never seen a gear longevity/durability/IBA thread before. It's usally a "my gear is XXXXX" without constraints about longevity/duribility/value for money

Maybe a poll? Helmet life/suit life/boot life/brand??? Without getting into gear details too much?
OK... in context per Bwana's post...

Helmet = gets replaced every few years just because... Currently a Shoei and a Nolan.

Suit = Roadcrafter 1 piece, 14+ years, (almost) every ride since 1998, practically indestructible, best value gear I've ever bought

Boots = Altimate (Canadian company) leather sport-touring (no goretex) - 5 yrs, replacing them this year with another Altimate product

Griff

My blue Aerostich, one piece Roadcrafter was just over 13 years old when it was called upon to sacrifice itself for me. It did the job well. It was getting quite faded but I had just bought new armor and was planning on keeping to 15 years. Did very hot to quite cold and almost 120,000 miles with it. I still think they are one of the bike investments. Of course I bought a new one just like the old one.

:yahoo:

After I got back into riding after a many year layoff, I did a bunch of research about the various materials for motorcyle wear. After doing that research, I concluded that for me and the type of riding I was going to be doing, a Roadcrafter was the way to go. I talked with the folks at Rider Warehouse and they sent me out a suit to try for size know that I would be sending it back for re-fitment. Well, I went to the factory to get fitted rather than try doing over the phone or email/mail. What a great experience. Plant tour, better fitment and just an eye opener on ALL that goes into their products. My 'Stich(2pc) is now 13+ years old and I still tell folks that it was the BEST investment in motorcycle gear I have made to this point. Trouble now is that I am unable to wear it year 'round as I would like. It is just too doggone hot/humid here in central Florida in the summmer months, but the rest of the time, it is my main gear. Probably it has over 150,000 miles on it. If I ever test it's crashworthiness, it will be replaced in a heartbeat. Maybe with a Darien, but something from Aerostich. Wish I could keep bikes that long!!! LOL! It has been through my '88 Connie, a KLR, a VStrom 1000 a BMW K1200 and 2 1200 Voyagers and now the FJR. Protection, all day comfort and storage! What more do we need?