Made some mods tonight...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglej

Reaction score
After watching videos on youtube and pondering, I finally did the trooper mod to my 08 tonight. Also needed to do the filter service as it was overdue. I have had a PC3 for about 2 seasons now, and have been running (I think) the Wally map. I pretty much loaded that map and never tinkered with it again. It fixed most of my low speed surging and off-on throttle issues- but was never really perfect. After pulling the air filter out, I noticed that the molded rib in the backside of the airbox is almost exactly 1.5" in diameter on the inside... Given that I already had the 1.5 chucked up to do the trooper mod, I sawed two holes over/under in that area and cleaned up the area between with a little saw.

I am pretty happy. I think opening that up really perked up the throttle response. I was pretty surprised to see how small that air intake opening is. Pretty small for 1300cc- barely bigger than one of the intake horns on the inside of the box... I want to run a paper filter because I am not diligent enough to keep a K&N oiled all the time, and I know the paper does a good job. So basically, this mod doubles the area of the air intake. I really noticed on mid-corner roll-ons that the throttle picks up nicer. Not as well as the bandit 1200 with holeshot carb mods I used to have, but close.

Need to do a throttle body sync and get my bike up to St. Paul to have a custom map done. After seeing how well the bike responded to this, I am fairly confident I will soon have a perfect throttle. Then add some driving lights, then ,then, then, it never ends. :yahoo:

Also- am happy with the sound of the trooper mod. Adds a little snarl that was missing, but isn't obnoxious. Would like to drop the two metric tons that the pipes weigh, but don't want to spend the $$ on that.

I love this bike.

J

Need photos! No praise or ridicule without it.

On a side note, I think we may have shared the same dentist at some stage.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you did part of the CDog air-box mod. The other part of it is trimming that huge plastic piece, that sticks out from the cover, way down.

There's a huge thread on it somewhere. Google search "CDog airbox mod; site: FJRForum" I bet you find it.

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered some Hella FF50's today, and was walking around the bike tonight thinking about a good way to mount them. I had FF50's on my old bandit, and bent up a "wing" mount that mounted under the rear view mirror on that bike. I am sort of intrigued by the bolt that ties the main mirror stalk to the base mount on the FJR (the part it swivels on). I was imagining machining up a real simple stubby mount that could tie in here. Or- replace the stock nut with a piece of hex stock that is partially threaded in the top, and has provisions to attach the mount to. Closer to the bike and stiffer than the sheetmetal under slung style. The old mount I made looked nice, but the beam length was pretty long and it bounced a bit on bigger bumps. There are lots of ways to do everything- but lights are always better up high. When you mount them low, they point to Jesus half the time. Also- I like having the ability to aim them when I am riding.

Speaking of machining, I need to get going on some pair block off plates. Got a bit of idle aluminum lying around, and an even more idle Bridgeport. Question: Do most people run some RTV around the sealing area of the plate, or is another product superior?

J

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered some Hella FF50's today, and was walking around the bike tonight thinking about a good way to mount them. I had FF50's on my old bandit, and bent up a "wing" mount that mounted under the rear view mirror on that bike. I am sort of intrigued by the bolt that ties the main mirror stalk to the base mount on the FJR (the part it swivels on). I was imagining machining up a real simple stubby mount that could tie in here. Or- replace the stock nut with a piece of hex stock that is partially threaded in the top, and has provisions to attach the mount to. Closer to the bike and stiffer than the sheetmetal under slung style. The old mount I made looked nice, but the beam length was pretty long and it bounced a bit on bigger bumps. There are lots of ways to do everything- but lights are always better up high. When you mount them low, they point to Jesus half the time. Also- I like having the ability to aim them when I am riding.

Speaking of machining, I need to get going on some pair block off plates. Got a bit of idle aluminum lying around, and an even more idle Bridgeport. Question: Do most people run some RTV around the sealing area of the plate, or is another product superior?

J
I would just say buy the Pair plates that are offered here. Not that expensive, and fit like a glove, not sure how long it will take you to machine those yourself, but no offense, I cant see them being better in any way then the ones offered here.

I would just say buy the Pair plates that are offered here. Not that expensive, and fit like a glove, not sure how long it will take you to machine those yourself, but no offense, I cant see them being better in any way then the ones offered here.

No offense taken. Sort of misses the point though. People don't buy machine tools to have other people machine parts for them. :D

J

No offense taken. Sort of misses the point though. People don't buy machine tools to have other people machine parts for them. :D

J
I can certainly understand that. I worked in a tool and die shop for years and took pride in all the stuff I made during that time. Still have a couple things, like my handy dandy precision grinding vise that I made, though I sold just about everything else when I got out of the shop and became a teacher. Start making some chips dude, and enjoy...

Gary

darksider #44

ps... still trying to figure out just what you did inside that air box. Wish you'd posted a picture.

Hi all.Well I thought I had an original idea but here's what I did yesterday. My back round is industrial heating/cooling and we do all sorts of air, water and oil filtration. Have been reading about the air box and I have to ride 1 mile on dirt roads between the house and the highway so I thought I'd check my filter. Held the filter up to the sun and saw that most of the dirt was on the back end of the filter with the near side being mostly clean. Naturally the culprit is the intake tube, cause air will take the path of least resistance. Also with the throttle tubes stack on top of one another it seems the far side 2 will gulp most of the air during throttle response over the 2 near side tubes. Here's some pic links. Sorry haven't figured out how to get them into the post yet:

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/armandetti/P1010138.jpg

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/armandetti/P1010143.jpg

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/armandetti/P1010140.jpg

used a 7/8 hole saw and then just the auger bit for the smaller holes. Here's what it looks like installed:

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/armandetti/P1010147.jpg

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/armandetti/P1010146.jpg

I also drilled some smaller holes in the outer cover to allow more air in:

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/armandetti/P1010149.jpg

BTW- while I was in here I used the dremel to notch out the plastic and route that pesky wiring outta the way:

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/armandetti/P1010144.jpg

https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/armandetti/P1010145.jpg

After reassembling and starting I notice my idle is now up from 1200rpm to 1600 rpm. Went for a short ride (wind gust up to 50mph) but notice throttle response is better. Use to have a small lag. It's gone. Weather is gonna be lousy and chance to do 100 mile trip to work and back will B Wednesday. I'll post again if I notice any other changes. Be safe all.

Not knocking CDogs mod but I'd be concerned with rain water getting in since it's just a big hole with no covering. Total time to do what I did was 15 minutes after removing covers and reinstalling. But to each their own.