Southwestern Canada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmead72

Reaction score
Planning a ride through southern Canada this summer where my friend and I will be coming into Canada via Montana, and will rid across to the coast before shooting down to California to go to the MotGP race at Laguna. Any suggestions for roads along the US-Canadian boarder?

Planning a ride through southern Canada this summer where my friend and I will be coming into Canada via Montana, and will rid across to the coast before shooting down to California to go to the MotGP race at Laguna. Any suggestions for roads along the US-Canadian boarder?
BJ

As part of the 2012 NAFO discussions, this post came up - may be of interest to you. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=144099

If you are passing near/through Kamloops, stop by for a coffee/beer. I'm on the 'help list'.

Kamal has it right. All good stuff in that thread.

Depending on how much time you have this route has some world class scenery and is worth the time, however, summer months will be busy and may require some planning for hotels and such.

That's the first time I've ever seen a reference to "southern" Canada by anyone who isn't Inuit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the first time I've ever seen a reference to "southern" Canada by anyone who isn't Inuit :)
Lmao. If you wanna try something funny, ask some of us geographically retarded Americans where Saskatchewan is. My wife is from there. Used to be a teacher. Some of the kids here asked if she ever ate polar bear. And they were dead serious!

Lmao. If you wanna try something funny, ask some of us geographically retarded Americans where Saskatchewan is. My wife is from there. Used to be a teacher. Some of the kids here asked if she ever ate polar bear. And they were dead serious!
There is a "Southern" Ontario but after that the rest of Canada is up there. Point Pelee is actually further south than the northern border of California. An excellent drinking game with our American friends for NAFO is name all the Canadian Provincial Capitals. Sadly even a number of Canadians get the capital of Saskatchwan wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFEIVkSHaJU

Even the Guess Who guessed wrong. ;)

There is a "Southern" Ontario but after that the rest of Canada is up there. Point Pelee is actually further south than the northern border of California. An excellent drinking game with our American friends for NAFO is name all the Canadian Provincial Capitals. Sadly even a number of Canadians get the capital of Saskatchwan wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFEIVkSHaJU

Even the Guess Who guessed wrong. ;)
:unsure:

I could probably get half of them.

I won a bet with my wife shortly after we met...knew the words to Oh Canada. (I work at a hockey arena.) Heard it about a zillion times. But then she won a bet. She claimed to personally know Kelly Buchberger. Went to high school with him in Langenburg. I didn't believe her and figured I would call her bluff. Brought her down to the locker room (outside of course) at STAPLES Center. Out comes Kelly. He sees my wife and immediately says. "Hey Shauna, how are you? What are you doing here?" They caught up for about 10 minutes while I stood aside feeling pretty much like a heel. Learned a lesson that day.

BTW, the wife went to college - or university as she calls it - in Saskatoon.

Thanks for all the input folks! I'm really looking forward to tihs trip and everyone has given me some great possibilities! Anything else???

BJ

Sorry if this is a little off topic. I just realized that I couldn't place Arkansas on a US map :blush:

I can now. It's kinda tucked away down there. The only time it gets a mention on TV seems to be if there is a presidential election or a disaster happening!

I think I feel a ride south, through the central US states, coming on.

Anybody done this recently?

One thing to think about while planning, it's the 100th anniversary of the Stampede here in Calgary this year (July 6-15) so if you think you are going to be in town for any of the the first three weeks in July and you will need a hotel you better book it now. If you still can. It is supposed to be crazy busy this year and I have heard that some hotels in town are booked solid already. Also, if you are headed out to Banff in this same period you should also think about booking as it's always busy out there anyway and if Calgary is busy lots of those people will head to Banff as well.

I strongly suggest you try the ride outlined by str8, making a stop at the Longview Jerky shop before you head out towards Hiway 40.

https://www.longviewjerkyshop.com/

I have been buying from them for over 25 years and it is the best Jerky I have ever tasted. It also gives me an excuse to go for a ride out of calgary west on one, south on 40 and that turns in to 541 which takes you in to longview. The shop is on the sou

Another good ride is this:https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=calgary+ab&daddr=50.35526,-113.78198+to:50.20838,-114.13539+to:Longview,++AB+to:Banff,+AB+to:49.89175,-115.73074+to:49.24365,-117.56726+to:49.01736,-118.35006+to:Invermere,+BC+to:Creston,+BC+to:Hope,++BC&hl=en&sll=48.980217,-120.009155&sspn=1.661989,3.532104&geocode=FYjiCgMd-p8z-SnVP4SfA3BxUzE6tlK2sTttJg%3BFTxcAAMdJNM3-Sk5xYlkVdxxUzFvfVtJDy4IZA%3BFXwe_gIdom4y-Sn3yGjyztRxUzHOZxJXDwUXpA%3BFUjqDAMdGIMc-Sn9SgyRRcpwUzFjlKzavq6vyg%3BFUjqDAMdGIMc-Sn9SgyRRcpwUzFjlKzavq6vyg%3BFaZJ-QIdzBYa-Sl7QwDl8856UzEcN9i5RwCZMg%3BFQJm7wId5BD--Cm_gGAxmS5jUzHzmtB6FVgRdw%3BFRDy6wIdFB_y-CmTiOcQqrFiUzG1VOXp-YHWZQ%3BFfeN8QIdPPPC-Cl1E-hEzPWDVDFFNZ1Ck9NkMA%3BFaEs7QIdvS0O-SmNoBKm4WJjUzHGhxdWb6sHdQ%3BFWeO8QIdf_TC-CnXx4MZyvWDVDHDK8naBnF5Bw&oq=creston&mra=ls&via=1,2,5,6,7&t=m&z=6

It is about a 12-14 hour ride from Calgary to Vancouver via 93 and 3. There are sometimes lots of RCMP, so it is a good idea to have a detector if you like to ride in a spirited fashion.

Latest posts