Earphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leprechaun

Reaction score
I'm looking for earbuds to use with my Galaxy S. When travelling by train I use Sennheiser CX-300,which are excellent,

but can't be used under my helmet(Arai Viper).One recommendation was Skull Candy Ink'd, which give good isolation,but

when I put on the Arai,it pulls them out of my ears. Another recommendation is Etymotic mc5s,which seem to stick out

a bit too far from the ear. I need a low-profile earbud which won't pull out when I put on the helmet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Nothing useful to offer, but I can't pass up a chance to bitch about something. I was looking recently for some new earplugs or buds or whatever they're called--some types won't stay tight in my apparently oddly-shaped ear holes. But how can you know what you're looking at or buying when they're hermetically sealed into a tamper-proof space-age plastic package that needs specialized tools to get open to even get your hands on them?? :angry2:

OK, I'm done. Feeling much better now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what you want...

click here for the s-plug ear phones

The key thing about these, for us motorcyclists, is that they are make to be inserted all the way into the ear canal. They don't stick out. The attaching wire is *made* to be used to pull them out. It's very strong.

The other important aspect is that they do as good or even better of a job of deadening noise than do foam ear plugs. This way the music can be off and it's just like wearing regular ear plugs.

I've tried Ety's, custom plugs, etc, but these have been the best for me so far. I broke mine in by plugging in the mp3 player and turning volume up a little more then 3/4 and let them play for 7 or 8 hours (not on my head of course :) They sound great.

I had a pair of Etymotic ER6i. They hurt my ears after two hours in my Arai Quantum II helmet. They died after 2 years or less. Now I use the Skull Candy buds because they are cheap and don't hurt as much - they don't isolate as well or sound as good at the Etymotic ER6i. Lately though the sounds of silence have graced my head - being unplugged and disconnected is relaxing.

I must admit though there are times when I want my tunes. Here is a review on sub $100 earbuds.

As the OP was saying guys...

Some ear phones can't deal very well with a tight fitting helmet. Some of us have tight fitting helmets, many of us don't.

There's a big difference when you talk about what will work vs what won't when you have a tight fitting helmet.

This is not a knock on any product mentioned, they are all very good products. But there's a difference between a product that fits "in the ear" and one that fits "in the ear canal".

Even though it may be "in the ear", it can still stick out from the ear canal (that's how they are pulled out, by what's outside of the ear canal). This is where a tight fitting helmet and this type of plug is a problem. The tight fitting helmet is very tight against your ear. When you take the helmet off the lining may catch the part outside of the canal and cause a lot of pain.

Again, no knock on any product mentioned, they are all good and some sound excellent. But only the s-plug goes completely in the ear canal, completely. It's the only one that if your helmet is really really snug, you can get it on and off with little to no discomfort.

Hey I don't own stock in that company, just the experience of someone with a really snug helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing useful to offer, but I can't pass up a chance to bitch about something. I was looking recently for some new earplugs or buds or whatever they're called--some types won't stay tight in my apparently oddly-shaped ear holes. But how can you know what you're looking at or buying when they're hermetically sealed into a tamper-proof space-age plastic package that needs specialized tools to get open to even get your hands on them?? :angry2:

OK, I'm done. Feeling much better now.
Just an FYI check out Bose earbuds. I have a MIE2, this model has a mic for my cell phone. In the package it came with a three different sizes ear molds and they sound very good for their size. Very expensive, $120. You may have to open the wallet a little more to get a better fit. I haven't tried but I can tell when I put on my helmet they will get pulled out. (Arai RX-Q)

Wish there were a pair that had some noise cancelling that fit inside the ear with a mic so I can use my smartphone with voice commands. Am I asking for too much??

+1 on the the Westones UM's. I have UM1's and UM2's. The UM1's are a better bang for the buck ($110 vs $270). I wouldn't buy another pair of UM2's. That's more of a testament to the UM1's than being critical of the $$ big brother...

I've used the Ety's for several seasons with varying levels of comfort and success, due mostly to the odd shape of my ear canal. But now I'm rockin' the Westone CR1's.

Best pair I have found is $20 Sony at Walmart. They are comfortable for all day wearing and don't interfere (much) putting on my helmet.

the trick for ear buds not pulling out of your ears on a tight fitting helmet is to get a set that you can't pull out that way. kind of like These

the trick for ear buds not pulling out of your ears on a tight fitting helmet is to get a set that you can't pull out that way. kind of like These
Those would be even worse. The helmet would catch that top piece and pull it down. The trick is practice. Learn how to put the bud in your ear, and learn how to put the helmet on so that it reduces the pull you're gonna get.

With my Skull Candy buds, I run the cord up my left side, and run the wire for my righ ear behind my neck. It reduces the way the buds drag and get pulled into my jacket. Then I split my helmet as much as I can by pulling the straps wide. Most times, the helmet goes on just fine, but if I do it wrong, I have to take it off and do it again.

Once you get it, you'll understand. I say try a few more times before giving up.

Those would be even worse. The helmet would catch that top piece and pull it down....
not those exact ones. those were a hidious example, sorry. i had a set of Sony's that had the behind-the-ear clip that worked great. any pull on the wire, just pulled on the clip. but that's just my humble oppinion. YMMV...

P.