At last - my first FJR ride.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
Had to wait until after lunch but the temp climbed (staggered) above zero and the sun came out. I could wait no longer!

As this bike is 'new to me', and there is still a lot of gravel on the roads, I took it very carefully - at first. Now I'm home and can't stop grinning.

Learnings from this ride:

1) It only has five gears! Can't believe I didn't know that - kept searching for sixth :blush:

2) I'm going to have to get mirror extenders or check this forum for replacements. I was mainly seeing my BarkBusters.

3) This is a LOT more machine than my 650 V-Strom!

I'm lovin' it.

1) It only has five gears! Can't believe I didn't know that - kept searching for sixth :blush:

2) I'm going to have to get mirror extenders or check this forum for replacements. I was mainly seeing my BarkBusters.

I've had mine or a week now and after riding it to work everyday I'm absolutely in love. I too wish there was a 6th gear, but after riding an ST100 for several years I can say that the ST needs a 6th gear a lot more than the FJR. As for the mirrors, I'm content with the mirrors I have. I understand the views expressed all over the FJR world, but coming off my 3rd Ducati I can say these mirrors rock! Duc mirrors are famous for shoulder and elbow viewing. I've always removed the stock mirrors and run bar-end mirrors. After that, the FJR mirrors are light years ahead which leaves me more money to spend elsewhere!

Had to wait until after lunch but the temp climbed (staggered) above zero and the sun came out. I could wait no longer!

As this bike is 'new to me', and there is still a lot of gravel on the roads, I took it very carefully - at first. Now I'm home and can't stop grinning.

I'm lovin' it.
Sorry about your temps Kamal! I just got home from the last weekend at Daytona Bikeweek. It was 80F. Enjoy the bike and Welcome to the Best Forum EVER!! :D

It's greatness isn't it? Look on the plus side...I have good weather and a new FJR sitting in my garage, and yet, I'm headed out of town for work. It's going to kill me.

It's greatness isn't it? Look on the plus side...I have good weather and a new FJR sitting in my garage, and yet, I'm headed out of town for work. It's going to kill me.
I've been retired a month now. I'd be happy to fly to Texas and 'walk' your FJR for you. :D

Hey congrats! If you ever get down to Creston/ Bonners Ferry give me a holler. We could meet up in Creston at the Tim Hortons. I will buy you a cup of coffee. There are some great roads between us. If you ever want a riding partner....give me a shout! The weather down here has been total crap too. It finally melted off all our snow with five solid days of rain. But we are supposed to get snow again for the next two. I am itching for a good long ride.

Here are the farkles on my 2009 including the part number to get the mirrors fixed. The mirror part numbers for the Gen 1 maybe different.

I am happy with 5 gears as I don't have to shift down during roll ons. The Gen 1 is geared a bit different than the Gen 2 - the RPMs are higher in 5th gear.

I still have a DL 1000 Vstrom and it pretty much just sits in the garage these days. I am looking to sell it.

Enjoy your FJR they are a blast.

Hey congrats! If you ever get down to Creston/ Bonners Ferry give me a holler. We could meet up in Creston at the Tim Hortons. I will buy you a cup of coffee. There are some great roads between us. If you ever want a riding partner....give me a shout! The weather down here has been total crap too. It finally melted off all our snow with five solid days of rain. But we are supposed to get snow again for the next two. I am itching for a good long ride.
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I was down your way last fall (on my 650 V-Strom), hope to be down there again this year.

BTW I don't see your name on the NAFO list for Castlegar, are you going?

Al

Here are the farkles on my 2009 including the part number to get the mirrors fixed. The mirror part numbers for the Gen 1 maybe different.

I am happy with 5 gears as I don't have to shift down during roll ons. The Gen 1 is geared a bit different than the Gen 2 - the RPMs are higher in 5th gear.

I still have a DL 1000 Vstrom and it pretty much just sits in the garage these days. I am looking to sell it.

Enjoy your FJR they are a blast.
Thanks Jim. You have some great stuff there.

Just sold my '05 650 V-Strom on Friday. Sad to see it go but I want to do more long distance riding (while I still can).

Al

The FJR will run happily all day at pretty much anywhere in the rev band. After awhile you'll forget to shift UP from fourth!! :lol:

The FJR will run happily all day at pretty much anywhere in the rev band. After awhile you'll forget to shift UP from fourth!! :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only that forgot to shift up from 4th.

Hey Kamal, the more you ride your FJR the more you will become addicted to it and this Forum.

Good Luck and Ride Safe.

Also have an '04.

One of first changes here was to buy/mount Yamaha FZ1 mirrors that have a longer stem.

Direct bolt on. Somewhere here I'll find a photo showing them and post it up.

2AvatarFJR395.jpg

FZ1 mirrors were from the years that were FZ1 carbureted; don't know if the newer FZ1 w/ FI has same mirrors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also have an '04.

One of first changes here was to buy/mount Yamaha FZ1 mirrors that have a longer stem.

Direct bolt on. Somewhere here I'll find a photo showing them and post it up.

FZ1 mirrors were from the years that were FZ1 carbureted; don't know if the newer FZ1 w/ FI has same mirrors.
They are not the same. You have to get mirrors from GenI FZ1s. 2005 or older. I think most just search parts places for 2005 FZ1 mirrors. Do not buy eBay knockoffs, or "like OEM" mirrors. Everyone else that has has ended up hating them. Buy the genuine Yamaha mirrors, spend just a few bucks more and be happy. If you search around, there are deals to be had.

Here's my "antlers":

img_1224.jpg

These are the OEM Yamaha Part Numbers (looking at my Zanotti order email from last year):

5LV-26290-00-00

5LV-26280-00-00

They were $45.42 apiece when I got mine. They are Gen I FZ1 mirrors (2005).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am familiar with that smile as well. :) Give yourself a few thousand mile learning curve. Only had mine in my garage for about two weeks and I could tell after the 2nd ride I have a lot to learn what this bike can do and I'm holding it back. My comfort zone and this bikes ability are not on the same page, but when it is it will be even more fun. ;)

Welcome to the clue!!