HELP! Stupid rear axle won't go back in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfuzz

Reaction score
I had a b*tch of a time getting the axle out when I took the wheel off. It tool a lot of cursing, a wood dowel and a BFH to pound it out the first time. Once it cleared the final drive, it slipped right out. No rust or other corrosion to explain.

Now, I'm trying to re-install the rear wheel and I'm having the same problem, just in reverse. Axle slips right through the wheel and when it hits the spacer sleeve, it stops. I've tried slightly changing the position of the wheel everywhich way trying to get it to slip in just right but no dice.

It's almost like the spacer sleeve that slips in the final drive side has an I.D. that's .000001 inch too small or something. I don't really want to pound it back into place because I don't want to f-up the threads and it shouldn't be this hard.

REALLY, REALLY frustrated right now.

I'm hoping there are some sage words of advice out there.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it's not back together, take the wheel / tire back out and check everything well. Assemble the axle with the spacer and all components and see where it hangs up. Although you said there's no corrosion on the spacer, look it over closely. I'll bet you'll find internal corrosion that needs to be cleaned up.

Lightly grease the rear axle on re-assembly to minimize any future problems.

--G

Edit -- HRZ has a point...you did loosen the pinch bolt -- right?

And make sure the washer/spacer is in the correct position on the disc brake/ABS sensor side. I once had that on the wrong side of another piece that went in there. It visually looked okay, but the axle wouldn't go in easily.

All components are in the right place and order. I took the wheel off. Inserted the axel without the wheel in place and it slid through, no problem.

Removed the axel and tried to slide it through the wheel...no dice. It's feels like it's hanging up on the drive-side of the sleeve between the two bearings.

What now? Don't want to disassemble the wheel and sure don't want to pay someone else to do it either....Grrrrrr

Shine a light through there. See if you can see anything amiss. What about the removable 'collar' Where is that? It's in the correct position isn't it?

This is very odd. It's got to be something simple.

I looked in there, I can't see anything that would indicate a problem.

I used a rubber mallet and whack, whack, whacked it through.

Nerve-wracking. or maybe nerve-whacking. :angry2:

Anyone who is knowledgable care to venture an opinion on whether I could have screwed up my bearings with all this whacking?

Chances are you just needed to support the weight of the wheel to make it as neutral as possible. With everything aligned, and weight of the wheel relieved on a fulcrum or other support, whacking is not needed.

Have a look here , there are lots of 'things' to hang up on. Having to pound your axle through could well have damaged your bearing set closest to the drive splines, if the centre part of the bearing was unsupported.

The full parts list can be found clicky here

Hope some of that helps

Don

It sounds like one of the spacers is just a little off center. Slide the axle in and see which spacer it stops on. Then remove the axle and use a long screwdriver or similar to put in and try to move the spacer to center. It may be hard to see, but it is only off a little.The spacers are pinched between the brgs so they may be hard to move.

Several here are "on to it" that fecking spacer between the inner and outer hub is a PITA!

You need to support the wheel as if it tilt's just a little the bolt hang on the edge of it.

Just put my rear wheel back on yesterday and only fought with it one time before I remembered that Inner bugger.

I put the washer between the sensor hub and the caliper bracket once. What a pita it was getting the axle out once I realized the mistake.

IIRC the caliper bracket tweaked and had to me smacked a few times to get it to loosen up. Don't ask how I know this. Shit I'm busted.

Sit behind the rear tire and stick you feet under it. While moving the tire up/down with your feet. Gently tap the axle into the rear drive. You'll find that wiggling the tire/wheel will eventually aligh all the holes with the axle as you tap with a hammer. It should not take much hammering force to get the axle to slide all the way through the drive assembley.

Sit behind the rear tire and stick you feet under it. While moving the tire up/down with your feet. Gently tap the axle into the rear drive. You'll find that wiggling the tire/wheel will eventually aligh all the holes with the axle as you tap with a hammer. It should not take much hammering force to get the axle to slide all the way through the drive assembley.

I also take a 3/8" drive extension and put it in from the opposite side to help move the spacer around so it aligns. It sure sounds like you have a bearing spacer that is moving slightly. Another way is to slowly rotate the wheel while gently pushing the axle in.

And as escapefjrtist said grease the axle and the threads before you put the nut on. You will thank him the next time you take the wheel off.

Thanks for all the replies!

The problem is solved for now.

Look for my next related thread in about 5000 miles: "HELP! Stupid rear axle won't come out."

All good advice on how to get it back together properly, but I am curious about what caused it to come out that hard.

All good advice on how to get it back together properly, but I am curious about what caused it to come out that hard.
I would also like to know. The wheel is back on but the problem is just waiting there for my next tire change