So who is heading from Ontario for NAFO in BC this June?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red07FJR

Reaction score
Was looking over the attendee list and I am on the fence about making the trip out. Who is heading out to BC for the June event? When and where are you leaving from? Is there an Ontario caravan of sorts riding together?

Was looking over the attendee list and I am on the fence about making the trip out. Who is heading out to BC for the June event? When and where are you leaving from? Is there an Ontario caravan of sorts riding together?
RaYzerman19 & I are going to be trailering from Ontario (Bowmanville) to Calgary since both Ray & I have ridden across the flat bits before and found it not to our liking. Unfortunately my enclosed trailer is pretty full with two FJR's. I know Geezer is riding out and he is from NY State and is almost straight south of you. There is a group from the east (MEM & others) that you should be able to hook up with.

You can also check with Bungie, Huron 52 & FJRob1300 (all Ontario riders) to see what their plans are.

You can also check with Bungie, Huron 52 & FJRob1300 (all Ontario riders) to see what their plans are.
Bungie isn't making the trip :angry:

Though I am working hard at telling a certain somebody to go fuck themselves and working hard at moving to Kamloops sometime this summer. Still shooting for June.

EDIT: Anybody passing through Sudbury on they're way to or from is welcome to conk for the night here. Spare bed, couch & beers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm riding out with my daughter in tow. We are likely taking the long way around. Or up and over if you will.

Rob

Well, I am going from the east, but I am taking a southern route accross the US. You are welcome to come along though!

Well I'm (We are)going OR is it coming.... not sure....Any who , I(We) will be bringing two bikes and a fairly large trailer.

I'm kind of with Ray and Bill about the flat parts.... they are just flat....

Thanks everyone for the replies. So Rob what "up and over" or long way round route are you planning? I also like taking the road less travelled especially if its scenic and twisty! :)

Thanks everyone for the replies. So Rob what "up and over" or long way round route are you planning? I also like taking the road less travelled especially if its scenic and twisty! :)
I was thinking of trailering out to Calgary, but with gas prices what they are my F150 would break the budget. Riding is the cheapest (and most fun)way to go so most likely do that via the northern US. Did that last year on the way back from California and it's a much more interesting ride than the Canadian prairies.

Well, I am going from the east, but I am taking a southern route accross the US. You are welcome to come along though!
If I can squeeze the time off work, I am also going with a Southern US route to see some stuff I haven't seen before. Down the Eastern Seaboard, across the Florida Panhandle (coastal), across Texas, New Mexico up into Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada to the California coast, Oregon, Washington (Cascades), up into British Columbia. I intend to catch some of Wyoming as well. Haven't ironed out the route completely (especially the return trip), but its looking like 13,000 miles, or so by the time I get back to New Brunswick. Overall average of 500+ miles per day.

Ross

Overall average of 500+ miles per day.
Running 500 a day for a week or so is doable. After that, not such a good idea. You end up living on the bike and only really experiencing the trip after thanks to a camera lens. Not to mention fatigue can really bite your ass.

If you're well past your prime, and worn down from years of heavy drinking and battling STDs, (and from wandering in circles

and arguing with your GPS), well, ....then running 500 a day for a week or so is doable. After that, not such a good idea. ... fatigue can really bite your ass.
Geez, Bungie. Your honesty is disarming.

Overall average of 500+ miles per day.
Running 500 a day for a week or so is doable. After that, not such a good idea. You end up living on the bike and only really experiencing the trip after thanks to a camera lens. Not to mention fatigue can really bite your ass.
I agree that you have to be careful to avoid excessive fatigue and it is necessary to have a little down time along the way. The 500 miles is an average. I will do more when trying to get from one place to another and considerably less when there's stuff to see and do. I figure maybe two thirds the distance but less than a third of the time on major (fast) highways. For me, I really enjoy the riding and don't seem to have a problem with consecutive long days. Having said that, I will have a contingency plan where I can save some parts for another trip if I think I am pushing the envelope a little too much. Obviously, weather will play a part in all of this as well. I'm not doing this as an endurance test but there's so much stuff I want to see. Looking to take four weeks if I can get that much time off work. For the most part, this will be a solo trip and I would rather be riding than hanging around a campground or motel room while there are still hours of daylight left.

Thinking of heading north once we hit Winnipeg. The top of the provinces. No time table except to be in Castlegar for the 21st. Hope to leave Lindsay around the 10th or so.

I have done the Northern US route before going to BC by car and it was pretty nice. Did the crossing at Sarnia then Chicago, Minneapolis-StPaul then straight west to Montana crossing back at Lethbridge. Wanted to see more of the Yellowstone area and there's soo much to see along that route.

I set my ownn schedule so I may be able to make a several week trip of it so I guess you could say I'm starting to lean over the fence towards doing it! Sounds like a blast!

I think the route that the three amoeba's did was about the best way. Only one real day of prairie (MN, SD). The Black Hills are like an oasis, 2hr after that it gets pretty nice (Black Hills, Devils Tower, Big Horn Mtns, Cody, Chief Joseph Hwy, Beartooth Pass or Yellowstone).

But that one day sucks. Unless you have a car tire and amuse yourself by seeing how far you can ride no hands.

Beat 22 miles!

If you're well past your prime, and worn down from years of heavy drinking and battling STDs, (and from wandering in circles

and arguing with your GPS), well, ....then running 500 a day for a week or so is doable. After that, not such a good idea. ... fatigue can really bite your ass.
Geez, Bungie. Your honesty is disarming.
Yup, and I'd do it again.

Latest posts