Having Vibration Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Ryder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did some searches on this but came up empty. In short, I'm (I believe) feeling more vibrations from my FJR than I would expect, and vibrations in the handlebars on long rides (at least for me) translates to numb hands. I'd like some thoughts if I'm imagining this or what things to look for.

Some background:

- 2006 FJR1300AE

- Had it for almost 4 years, about 17k miles on it

- Stock except (mechanically) for a Power Commander (useless_pickles map - works great)

I recently had the bike in the shop because of an unknown power drain. Per recall they replaced the electrical harness. Since getting it back, it 'feels' like I'm getting more vibes than before, but cannot imagine how swapping out a harness could possibly cause that.

What I feel is a greater sense of vibrations in both my feet as well as my hands, primarily at acceleration / deceleration / or certain tach speeds. I can 'feel' it when it gets to 2k on the tach, then it decreases from 2 to just shy of 4k, then at 4k upwards it is very noticeable to me. I can tell where my tach is now no longer by sound but by feel, and I don't remember having those vibes to that degree prior

Is it possible something in that recall fix got loose? Is it some maintenance that needs to be done for my bike around this mileage? Are there 'dampers' to decrease these vibes if these vibrations are 'normal' (and I'm on the crack pipe thinking they weren't there before)?

Thanks for the help,

Darin

Never would have thought of that being a potential vibration source but it makes sense. I do have them, and will check those tonight.

Make sure that while they were under the tank to do the recall that nothing got disconnected. Especially check vacuum lines and the throttle body synch caps.

ross

+1 on HRZ's comments; it's a typical culprit with increasing vibes. Torque left then right IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the sliders are still solid, ordered a carbtune / plugs and will do that next week (as well as chking for loose vacuum tubes / TB caps). Any other ideas / recommendations I can check before next week please feel free to pass them on. Thanks for the help so far.

I recently had the bike in the shop because of an unknown power drain. Per recall they replaced the electrical harness. Since getting it back, it 'feels' like I'm getting more vibes than before, but cannot imagine how swapping out a harness could possibly cause that.
The work they did might not be the cause.

My experience is that it tends to be the wheels. Its not unknown for the weights to fall off and maybe it just happened around the same time the harness was fixed.

I had one set of tires a couple years ago that were horrid. Finally spurned me to get one of the Marc Parnell tire balancers and do it myself. Haven't regretted it for a second and the interesting thing is what I found about the job the shop does when they balance. I always take the wheels into the shop and have them mount the tire AND balance the wheel. And everytime I have gotten the wheel back the tire has been slightly to totally out of balance. But thats fine, I use the balancer and do it myself anyways before I install them on the bike. And the bike runs smoother than ever!

Might not be the problem your having but something to consider.

- Colin

Also a good thought - is this the one you were referring to? https://www.marcparnes.com/Yamaha_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

I'll have to look into that further should the TBS not address the problem, looks like I would need the balancer, weights, and something to support the front forks to be able to remove the front tire.

Thanks for the tip, didn't know there was a balancer that small and portable, very nice....

Hi. Read your post with interest as I'm having the same issue with my '07 AE with 9000 miles. Have owned it just over a month and have found what seems to be common issues with abrupt throttle action, heavy return spring(s?)and like you, a tingling vibration at the grips giving me 'pins and needles' mainly in my right hand.

I suspect this is made worse by, for me, the grip diameter being too small as I have long fingers and I'm sure this compounds the issue.

I'm really keen to do a TBS and reduce the spring tension and also fit larger diameter grips. A kind forum member has described to me how to reprofile the cable cam in the grip but have you tried doing a TBS and did you notice any reduction in vibes?

I also fitted sliders myself so will have to check the torque settings.

Can anyone advise on fitting larger grips to factory heated originals, reducing the spring tension and also where I can obtain a TBS tool?

Sorry to have a shedload of queries but they are the only issues I have with this great bike and would like to get them sorted.

Thanks

have you tried doing a TBS and did you notice any reduction in vibes?

.....where I can obtain a TBS tool?
I have not as yet, my Carbtune will take a couple weeks to get here. I'm having to wait until then :(

From reading threads here there a couple routes you can go. One is the Morgan Carbtune from the UK. Another is the Motion Pro one. Some members appear to have built their own from Home Depot materials. You can check the Bin O Facts post on this site to see the various options then Google each to see the differences. For me the Carbtune makes sense as I need something small profile that I can move around without worrying about the liquid. For others the Motion Pro seems to work better for their needs.

Will post up when done, am hoping that does fix my issues.

I built the homemade manometer and it worked perfectly...makes for a nice "Norm Abrams-esque" diversion for a couple of hours. It's not the most portable of units, but it stows nicely in a corner of the garage.

Things I have done to fix the vibe issue (some partially to fix, partially for other reasons):

• PCIII
  • Grip Puppies
  • Sliders
  • Helibar risers
  • Throttlemeister
  • modified throttle tube

I have not done the spring unwind or swapped the grips out yet. Results? Not much. The numb right hand is the #1 thing I don't like about my Feejer, and it's a big one. :angry03:

Interesting, you've done a lot of steps and still feel the issues.... And it sounds like others have that issue fairly frequently as well. Wonder if this is a design issue on the Feej?....

On my Wrangler they have a decent number of rubber bushings for vibration isolation. Maybe they make something like that for the handlebars or steering column? To at least isolate that area from vibes? I can deal with numb hindquarters, but I'd like to feel my hands on long cruises.... :)

Things I have done to fix the vibe issue (some partially to fix, partially for other reasons):

• PCIII
  • Grip Puppies
  • Sliders
  • Helibar risers
  • Throttlemeister
  • modified throttle tube

I have not done the spring unwind or swapped the grips out yet. Results? Not much. The numb right hand is the #1 thing I don't like about my Feejer, and it's a big one. :angry03:
I have the MCL risers, gel grips, and grip puppies and have also done the throttle spring unwind. The numb throttle hand still makes an appearance from time to time, but it has gotten a lot better. In my case, I think a lot of it has to do with getting lazy on my posture after awhile and putting too much pressure on my wrists. I damaged my right wrist in the Corps (it can only go back about 1/2 as much as the left), so I suppose it's more susceptible to pressure. Doesn't help that the '07's are known for a stiff throttle either I guess. ;)

Edit: The throttle spring unwind made the biggest difference...

I have the MCL risers, gel grips, and grip puppies and have also done the throttle spring unwind. The numb throttle hand still makes an appearance from time to time, but it has gotten a lot better. In my case, I think a lot of it has to do with getting lazy on my posture after awhile and putting too much pressure on my wrists. I damaged my right wrist in the Corps (it can only go back about 1/2 as much as the left), so I suppose it's more susceptible to pressure. Doesn't help that the '07's are known for a stiff throttle either I guess. ;)
What grips are you using?

What grips are you using?
IIRC, they are ProGrip 724's or very similar. I guess they're not completely gel, but a dual compound.

Thanks muchly for the hints and tips everybody. To start with I've ordered a set of Grip Buddies that were highly recommended elsewhere in the forum. Next up I'll see about obtaining a TBS gauge.

Does anyone have detailed steps for taking some tension out of the return spring?

Hopefully I will see improvements after that little lot and will keep you all posted as to the results I get.

Thanks once again.

Latest posts