KrZy8 Engine Swap Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good idea or not?

• Yes - Yamaha screwed the pooch on this design

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No - Yamaha did it that way for a reason!

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Who cares about dirty TBA plates, you're the CBA prez!

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

dcarver

Reaction score
All righty then!

Fairlaner should be on the road by now.

FjRay is sleeping peacefully, preparing for a big day. :p

I'm too wound up to sleep! ;)

FjRay arrived yesterday afternoon, we got the lift outta the truck, the patient prepped, and got some wrenching done too! Removed rear tire and final drive, shifting assembly, got the front end loosened up for later removal.

Had dinner, solved world problems, (really, what could be worse than having a sick FJR? :huh: ) and now the new day starts.

PM'd a couple of peeps, it does appear the airbox has to be pulled to access the top motor mounts.

1.jpg

Will be streaming video of the fiasco, er, fun n' games at https://www.ustream.tv/channel/krzy8 in a couple of hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviewing RadioHowie's engine removal thread, Radio claims the reason for dirty butterfly valves is the crankcase ventilation hose feeds the airbox direct to the TBA plates.

day_01e.jpg

I'm seriously thinking of capping the air box and letting the crankcase vent via a K&N filter that's accessible for maintenance yet clear of water should I ride in rain. That should keep the TBA plates cleaner longer.

Not only will the airbox need to come out, I'd bet real money that you can't disconnect the starter cable without removing the throttle bodies.

I admire those that have the ability and or courage to do mechanical work like this. I wish you gentlemen the best of success for I don't believe in luck. Luck is when careful preparation meets opportunity.

In the event your luck runs dry on this engine swap perhaps you could persuade this fellow to help.

I know what RH thinks, and there has been a lot of speculation, but I don't think the Crankcase Breather hose is what causes the dirty TB plates.

And yes, remove the airbox.

Good luck mi amigo. Wish I could have been there.

Wish you could be there?? Why? So you could get all dolled up and strike another fancy pose?

398651_3022722137417_239306483_n.jpg

You would be banned from tech days here for that shit.

:finger:

Hope all goes well and Mr Murphy leave you alone. I don't hear any cussing yet so all must be good so far.

All righty then!

Will be streaming video of the fiasco, er, fun n' games at https://www.ustream.tv/channel/krzy8 in a couple of hours.
Cool! This is like remote control surgery. "Hey, you're not doing it right, cut here!"

Reviewing RadioHowie's engine removal thread, Radio claims the reason for dirty butterfly valves is the crankcase ventilation hose feeds the airbox direct to the TBA plates.

I'm seriously thinking of capping the air box and letting the crankcase vent via a K&N filter that's accessible for maintenance yet clear of water should I ride in rain. That should keep the TBA plates cleaner longer.
Thought you needed crankcase to be vented through intake as part of PCV function? Keep low pressure in case, burn bad fumes off through engine. Is that just emission stuff?

It should get better soon.. Right now too much work happening for them to answer anyone.. Richard will be along to get shit going.

:lol:

Man, Don's polishing his fairing mounts and Ray's drinking coffee. Both have clean hands.

This can't end well, at least until Fairlainer shows up and starts belting out his rendition of Man of Lamancha.

Well, I see Richard and Ray working dilligently at 0907 NM time. No sign of Carver. Must be making Mimosas or someting.

I think it's cool, but if I were one of those guys, I don't know that with this crowd, I would want to fuck something up on live TV.

Hey, tell those birds to quiet down.

So far I see Richard and Ray doing surgery. Wish I could be there, the birds are saying it's a nice day. :yahoo:

EDIT: aw crap, that noise was from a window that Ustream opened. Now all I hear is Richard looking for a fag. :angry2:

Latest posts