Who Needs FZ-1 Mirrors?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Here comes a storm of controversy. I realize this goes against the prevailing viewpoint around here and a great wailing and gnashing of teeth will result, but I tried some FZ-1 "knockoffs" a while ago, and despite the fact that they were crap (uneven surface, wouldn't pivot right, etc.) the size, shape, dimensions and positioning of them was EXACTLY like genuine FZ-1 mirrors. But in my opinion, they were no better for seeing where the traffic behind me was than the "stubby" little OEM mirrors on my '05 are.

Everybody complains that they can only see their elbows with OEMs. But what are you trying to see, the space directly behind you? A motorcycle in your own wheeltracks two lengths back? I have my mirrors angled out so I barely see my arms (just enough to give you a reference and know where they're aimed), and then the lanes behind and to the side. A little move of my head gives a wider sweep than that. I do find that the FJR's mirrors, whether OEM or any aftermarket pair I've seen, are too FAR AWAY from the rider to give a wide enough field of view. Other bikes I've had, with the mirrors on posts by the grips, had a field twice as wide or more than the FJR's, just because they were closer to my eyes.

Bottom line is, I don't think you can depend on any mirrors for complete information. You still have to turn and look, you have to move your head from side to side, sometimes even lean forward and closer to the mirrors to increase your field of view. In my opinion, having them stick out farther really doesn't help all that much.

As a separate issue, I do have a pair of convex mirrors mounted below my OEMs. I found them here on the forum some time ago, and I really love them. They really show that blind spot just behind and to the side where a passing car can hide. But I still turn my head before making a lane change. These help, but it is my neck after all. Also, these spot mirrors are every bit as useful mounted on the OEMs where I have them as they'd be on FZ-1 stems farther out. They look like this:

th_100_1452.jpg
th_100_1451.jpg

It's been a long time, so I don't know if the old address I had for the guy is still good, but I just tried an email. I'll post if I hear back. Best part of these is you get the wide field but don't sacrifice any of your limited mirror space by sticking another mirror over part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, being the cheap bastard I am I held off on FZ-1 mirrors for years. My second FJR came with them.

I gotta disagree with you Mike. I don't even think about looking around or under whatever,,,,the mirrors are out so far that I see everything...right now.

I obviously check over my shoulder before a normal lane change, but if an emergency lane change is required to avoid an accident with the vehicle in front of me...If you are saying you'd rather have stock mirrors...then I don't think I know who you are anymore Mikey.

:D

I thought MM2 was the sheitstirrenzupper anywayz.

I must admit, I have never understood all the complaints about the stock mirrors. I have a 2006 FJR and I have never had

rear visibility problems on mine. I wonder if the reason for so many complaints about the stock mirrors stems from folks

with risers mounted. It is not Mama Yama's fault if you moved your grip position higher and closer to your body and then

whine about seeing nothing but hands and elbows in the mirrors. I have no risers and I will never put those cheap FZ1

mirrors on my FJR. There, I said it and I feel so much better. :yahoo:

Gary Green

I must admit, I have never understood all the complaints about the stock mirrors. I have a 2006 FJR and I have never had

rear visibility problems on mine. I wonder if the reason for so many complaints about the stock mirrors stems from folks

with risers mounted. It is not Mama Yama's fault if you moved your grip position higher and closer to your body and then

whine about seeing nothing but hands and elbows in the mirrors. I have no risers and I will never put those cheap FZ1

Gary Green
Hummmm... is that the difference... risers? I don't have risers either and have issue at all with the stock mirrors. Don't think it's a GEN1/GEN2 thing, as I found a posts that some GEN2 owners like the FZ1 mirrors also.

If you have never tried them you'd never know. My first experience with the FZ1 mirrors was sitting on Madmike2's bike. First he stood about 20 feet in back of my Gen1. He was completely invisible to me. My line of vision to the rear did not converge behind me with the OEM mirrors, it got wider as distance increased.

I sat on his bike with the FZ1 mirrors and I could see him and had good peripheral vision on both sides. SOLD. My only complaint is that I split lanes...a lot. The mirrors are very susceptible to touching the mirrors of vehicles I pass. The excuse that they are feelers and the same width as the bags does not hold true because mirrors of cars stick out farther than the body panels and the FZ1 mirrors become more restrictive in width than the bike, especially with the bags removed.

If someone wants to make a buck, it would be really valuable to me to have a telescoping mirror that ranged from the width of the OEM to that of the FZ1. and still folded back. Well, we can dream. :lol:

Gary Green
You raise a good point Gary. I do have risers (for my arthritic shoulders).

I could live with the stock mirrors, but I have been spoiled by my V-Strom.

I don't have risers, and thought my OEM mirrors were just fine. I had my little blind spot deals on them and was happy. What sucked though was having to move my elbows to see behind me.

I realized I'd had enough when I was on my mountain bike and tried to move my elbow before looking behind me to see my daughter. I got Yamaha FZ1 mirrors and was amazed at the difference.

I built spacers for them so they sit flush against the fairings, they don't look cheap, and they don't vibrate like the POS FJR OEM mirrors do. On top of that, I can see everything going on behind me.

Think what you want, but until you try them, you have no idea what you're missing.

I use the fisheye type sticky mirrors on both mirrors and mount them to the part of the mirror where I see mostly my elbow anyway.

I can see pretty well around me and don't have to do a head check to change lanes. But I do actually do a head check to let folks around me know that I see them or am looking for them.

2800cb1b-1.jpg

Dennis

. . . they don't look cheap, and they don't vibrate like the POS Gen II FJR OEM mirrors do.

Think what you want, but until you try them, you have no idea what you're missing.
Fixed it for you.

Anyway, I did try them and found the improvement to be very minor, at least for me. And I have risers. Double stacked, in fact. Still fine with the OEMs.

. . . they don't look cheap, and they don't vibrate like the POS Gen II FJR OEM mirrors do.

Fixed it for you.

Anyway, I did try them and found the improvement to be very minor, at least for me. And I have risers. Double stacked, in fact. Still fine with the OEMs.
Yeah, you're right. I forgot the GenII mirrors are different. I have no experience with GenI mirrors, so my observations are strictly GenII.

I use the fisheye type sticky mirrors on both mirrors and mount them to the part of the mirror where I see mostly my elbow anyway.

I can see pretty well around me and don't have to do a head check to change lanes. But I do actually do a head check to let folks around me know that I see them or am looking for them.

2800cb1b-1.jpg

Dennis
I have those sticky fish eyes and I always turn my head to look too. You can have the best mirrors in the world. Nothing beats a one second glance! :clapping:

It gets every bodies attention around you on what you're about to do! :)

I've had FZ1 mirrors on both gen1 amd my current gen2. Wouldn't be without them. For me the difference was quite a lot on both bikes. Much safer to see better behind you. Just my 2 cents. ;)

GP

I think some of it may have to do with how tall you are and how wide at the shoulders you may be. I know with the stock mirrors on my Gen II, it was nothing but shoulder view for me; FZ1 mirrors made all the difference in the world. I have a clear view behind the bike. Head checks are second nature, even with the great view.

Each to their own I guess.

I like being able to see my top case and the road behind me with no movement other then to look in them, rather then scrunching my shoulders up to look behind me.

I don't get the reasoning but not my bike or money, but FZ1 mirrors rock for me, it is a safety thing for me. I have limited range of motion in C1 and C2 so I need to be able to see behind with no effort, check the Sang spot mirrors, take a look over my shoulder best I can, and change lanes.

Personal choice but nobody can convince me the OEM mirrors are anything compared to FZ1, that is just a mind fuck someone is playing on themselves for whatever reason.

...but nobody can convince me the OEM mirrors are anything compared to FZ1, that is just a mind fuck someone is playing on themselves for whatever reason.
Excellent choice of words.

Like I said, I was happy with stock mirrors for 5 years...then my second bike CAME with the FZ-1 mirrors. No comparison...and I'm not even a wide body anymore.

I have OEM mirrors on my gen II.

I never had an issue with them.

I just added Helibar unit and I still don't have any issues.

I as well as many others still do a head check when changing lanes.

What works for some may not work for others.

Life is great, it's all about choices. ;)