SS 1000 Question...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBilldo

Reaction score
Can I have people sponsor my ride and then give all the proceeds to charity? I want to dedicate my upcoming ride to a dearly departed old friend. He was my fathers best friend and was like a second dad to me. Him and my dad both had bikes and used to ride together all the time. They once took off on a week long trip, just the two of them, sleeping bags strapped to the seats, etc. They went through Jackson Wyoming, Montana, up across Canada and back home. I was probably 16 or 17 at the time and was hugely envious.

Anyways Ray was riding to work one morning when the infamous left turn asshole got him. Ray had epilepsy. It was controllable through medication. He survived the crash but the head injuries from the crash caused constant seizures for the rest of his shortened life. He passed in 2009. One of the saddest days of my life. Needless to say the whole family acquired a sour taste for motorcycles. My dad never lost his love for them but he sold his and never rode again. He himself is not the best shape right now but if he was able I know he would certainly get back on. Every time I show up on my FJR I can see it in his face. He always says, "God that's a beautiful bike. I wish I could still ride". And when I leave I see him watching me all the way down the street.

So if it's possible I want to dedicate my upcoming SS1000 to Ray Elmer Thompson 1938 - 2009. And I want to donate the sponsorship $ to the Epilepsy Foundation. If anyone knows if this is okay to do, please let me know.

Thanks all,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you can do your ride in honor of your friend. That is really neat and noble of you. I am curious; when you say "sponsor", what exactly do you mean? Are you going to solicit money for your ride? Or do you mean have people donate toward your expenses such as fuel (biggie). Doing a charity ride is a good way to get money for an orgaization. Especially if you had ten or twenty show up and do it with you. Good luck in your venture, and please let us know how it turns out.

I'm not Ira but here's what I've seen over the years:

There are no rules regarding fundraising for a SS1K, but you should be careful about how you position the Iron Butt Association in your marketing. Be clear that it's not an "IBA ride" or that the IBA is involved in any way other than giving you a certificate afterward. You are riding a SS1K in honor of your friend (sorry for your loss, by the way) and want to raise some money for a charity in his honor. There have been plenty of charity SS1Ks, sometimes by groups and sometimes by individuals.

You might want to word it so that it's clear that all funds are going for the charity, not for your gas and other expenses. The word "sponsor" might imply that your expenses come off the top. "Fundraiser" might be better.

Good luck, and have fun!

I hope you can do your ride in honor of your friend. That is really neat and noble of you. I am curious; when you say "sponsor", what exactly do you mean? Are you going to solicit money for your ride? Or do you mean have people donate toward your expenses such as fuel (biggie). Doing a charity ride is a good way to get money for an orgaization. Especially if you had ten or twenty show up and do it with you. Good luck in your venture, and please let us know how it turns out.
I won't take any $ from anyone for anything to do with my ride. (I would be doing the ride anyways.) All $ will go directly to the Epilepsy Foundation. I am actually trying to clear this all with them now. Also I work at STAPLES Center and have asked if the STAPLES Center Foundation will assist as well.

I'm not Ira but here's what I've seen over the years:

There are no rules regarding fundraising for a SS1K, but you should be careful about how you position the Iron Butt Association in your marketing. Be clear that it's not an "IBA ride" or that the IBA is involved in any way other than giving you a certificate afterward. You are riding a SS1K in honor of your friend (sorry for your loss, by the way) and want to raise some money for a charity in his honor. There have been plenty of charity SS1Ks, sometimes by groups and sometimes by individuals.

You might want to word it so that it's clear that all funds are going for the charity, not for your gas and other expenses. The word "sponsor" might imply that your expenses come off the top. "Fundraiser" might be better.

Good luck, and have fun!
Roger that. Ira got back to me - very quickly btw - and said no problem.

I'm sorry about your friend's passing as well.

If someone asks me for a donation, I know that I am usually more amenable if I agree with the charity AND I have a way of donating directly to the charity.

I know that you are not one of these types of people...but there are some bastards out there that give charity fund raising a bad name by embezzling donated funds. I just feel safer donating my funds directly to the charity organization itself...but that's just me.

Good luck with your ride...and a great way to honor your friend.

Sounds like what you're trying to do is reasonable, I'd just take care to note the IBA isn't involved in any way with your ride from a legal perspective.

Have fun on the SS1K - all that helmet time will hopefully ease the pain of loss.

Latest posts