Engine Disassembly Pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rPGoatBoy

Reaction score
I've got some decent engine disassembly pictures as I've got some parts on order for a 2nd gear issue with my '06 FJR. When I tried to post the Photobucket links, I was given an error message that I can't post as many Photobucket links as I had. Is there a limit to how many pictures I can post? If so, what is the limit?

I'd like to add these pictures to our "record" should any forum members run into the same issues I've run into with my bike.

Thanks,

Ryan

There's a limit built in to the forum software, like 40 or 50 per post or something like that. if you actually have more than that, then just post under the limit, then reply and continue posting.

There's a limit built in to the forum software, like 40 or 50 per post or something like that. if you actually have more than that, then just post under the limit, then reply and continue posting.
I wanted to post 12 pictures and got shot down. Is that unreasonable?

No...Something is prolly wrong with your link name. If there is a set of numbers at the end of the link name, delete them...See what happens.

Sorry I don't know all the official terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not have been an error about how many, but about the type of link. Be sure you're using the right line of code from Photobucket.

Looking at the album page (not the individual pictures, but the whole album) hover over the picture you want to post. A menu opens up. Click on the 4th line of geek code. Go to your post, click where you want the picture to appear, and press CTRL-V to paste in the geek code. Hit ENTER a couple of times to place for the next pic, and go to the Photobucket page and repeat.

It's the 4th line of code you want.

Ok the error message I got was "Sorry, but you have posted more media files than you are allowed to"

But, here's another attempt:

Here are some pictures of my '06 FJR's motor split in half as I wait for some transmission parts and gaskets to arrive:

SAM_0620.jpg

SAM_0622.jpg

SAM_0624.jpg

SAM_0626.jpg

Didn't need to remove the oil cooler, here's a shot of my finger underneath the head of the bolt. The bolt is captured underneath the oil cooler, but the threads are completely disengaged from the upper half of the motor case.

SAM_0628.jpg

Same with the middle gear shaft. No reason to remove, the bolt is captured beneath the gear shaft, but completely disengaged from the upper half of the motor case.

SAM_0632.jpg

Here's a shot with the oil pump removed:

SAM_0633.jpg

And here's a shot with the lower half of the crankcase removed. From the top of the picture, you can see the front counterbalance shaft, the crankshaft and rods, the input shaft of the transmission coming off of the clutch (the two gears on the right of this shaft, which affect 2nd gear, are the ones that were the problem, along with the accompanying shift fork) See below.

SAM_0636.jpg

A shot of the crankcase halves separated:

SAM_0638.jpg

The culprit (part 1)

SAM_0645.jpg

The culprit (part 2)

SAM_0652.jpg

The culprit (part 3)

SAM_0649.jpg

Disassembly was fairly straightforward if you're mechanically inclined; I didn't encounter any surprises. Thanks to FJRforum member Pete from Amsterdam, NY for selling me a trans from a '10 bike for next to nothing.

rp..

Thanks for those great pictures.

I see you are using the Samsumg WB600 camera, can you use it's 1024 x 768 for image size format.

(The Current Size Pictures are 2216 x 1662)

This size is more Web Friendly and we don't have to Scroll your great shots on the Website.

Wishing you a Great Install with your Transmission..

Fantastic pictures, very informative :yahoo: thanks for going to the trouble and having the perseverance to get them posted :clapping:

Don

rp..

Thanks for those great pictures.

I see you are using the Samsumg WB600 camera, can you use it's 1024 x 768 for image size format.

(The Current Size Pictures are 2216 x 1662)

This size is more Web Friendly and we don't have to Scroll your great shots on the Website.

Wishing you a Great Install with your Transmission..
Here is possibly the easiest to use photo resizer out there, and it's free.

https://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

Simply name the exe file appropriately with the maximum dimension you want (PhotoResize1024.exe for 1024) and then drag and drop your images onto it. Or there's a lot of command line options as well, but you can use it in it's simplest forms as above.

Thanks for taking time to post the tranny pics.

When you upload to PB, just click the option to have them automatically resized to 640 X 480. Simple!

Good luck with repairs!

--G

Thanks for the pics.

I can see the wear on shift fork as well as wear on lugs and corresponding engagement holes, but any idea what caused failure?

Thanks for the pics.

I can see the wear on shift fork as well as wear on lugs and corresponding engagement holes, but any idea what caused failure?
No idea. I'm the 2nd owner of the bike, I bought it when it had 19,500 on the clock. Now it's got ~28k, and I think the only thing I can be accused of is making clunky shifts. The clutch on my '06 lets out waaay early compared to my '96 Royal Star, so it took a little getting used to. That's about all the abuse I've done to it, I don't have any specific memory of missing a shift. One day it just started popping out of 2nd gear for a fraction of a second, and got progressively worse over a period of about six months.

I was hoping Yammy had updated the gear and fork design on the bad parts, but they're still the same.

I was hoping Yammy had updated the gear and fork design on the bad parts, but they're still the same.
Was that last gear with the gear dogs updated? I coulda swore I read somewhere that they had added two more dogs so there are 5 instead of 3. Was that the case, or did you replace with identical parts?

In '08 (I think) they updated the gear dogs on 3rd and 4th gear (I think) by adding more gear dogs and pockets. I'm at work right now, and my home computer has got a link to the thread where that was mentioned. I've verified that on the '10 trans that I bought from a forum member, they are different (parts 2, 6, & 9 on the fiche). Unfortunately, it doesn't affect 2nd gear (parts 27 & 30) on the fiche.

I'll try to take more pictures before I install.

This is what caused me to do an engine strip on my 02 FJR. Gearbox was making a horrible noise but it still changed gear.
Fudgejerkin, your shift fork looks easily twice as trashed as mine, but your 2nd gear wheel (the one with the pockets) looks like it's in considerably better shape. When you replaced parts, did you replace with a whole new transmission from another year FJR or did you just buy new?

How many miles have you put on since the rebuild?

This is what caused me to do an engine strip on my 02 FJR. Gearbox was making a horrible noise but it still changed gear.
Fudgejerkin, your shift fork looks easily twice as trashed as mine, but your 2nd gear wheel (the one with the pockets) looks like it's in considerably better shape. When you replaced parts, did you replace with a whole new transmission from another year FJR or did you just buy new?

How many miles have you put on since the rebuild?

I put a complete second hand gearbox in, it worked out cheaper than buying all the new bits needed and I didn't really want to mix new with used parts in a gearbox. I've two other FJRs which get ridden more regularly so I've only put about 10,000 miles on it since the rebuild.

The dog slots/ports in that large gear appear beat up on both sides of the slot -- leading edge and trailing edge. Seems a bit odd.
Downshifting? <shrug> I think I'm going to bring it into work and do a hardness test. Maybe they're soft. Pretty sure they're powdered metal forgings.

Latest posts