Clicking/Tapping Sound (Not valve tick i think)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iiXioM

Reaction score
So i got my bike less than a month ago, and already got over 1000 miles on my blue bomber of the 2006 year. Loving it! One thing has been bother me though.

When I'm moving, in gear obviously, i hear a faint ticking or clicking sound. I can only say it sounds like someone hyped up on caffeine clicking a mouse very very fast. Its not loud by any means, but i can hear it. When i pull the clutch lever in, weird sound goes away. When i'm in neutral, its gone. I hear the sound in all gears as long as the bike is moving a bit over 20 i think. ill have to check exact speed.

Anyone have any clue what it may be? I did get the Y.E.S. warranty transferred to my name. I need to bring it in for that and a leaky fork seal, but i'm curious to know what the heck that annoying sound is! Any ideas? :ph34r:

So, only when the engine is under load? I wonder if you have a valve out of spec. Maybe that or a loose cam-chain, but the chain would make that racket, regardless of in or out of gear. How many miles? Is it due for the 26,500 valve check??

So, only when the engine is under load? I wonder if you have a valve out of spec. Maybe that or a loose cam-chain, but the chain would make that racket, regardless of in or out of gear. How many miles? Is it due for the 26,500 valve check??

Yeah, only when i'm moving. in neutral/clutch level pulled in, i can rev it all i want, it won't make the sound. It sounds like the sound is coming directly under me. theres no specific side but i guess i'll pay more attention to it tonight.

Bike is an 06 with a bit over 14k. bought it earlier this month from a dealership who said it was ready to roll and had no issues. Obviously they didn't pay enough attention. Would the CCT/Valve/Whatever be covered under the YES plan?

Hard to tell what it is from your description. But it may be nothing to worry about. Sometimes these things are just a bit noisy.

Most likely reed valve or maybe even a noisy injector.

Ear plugs are cheap.

Yeah, only when i'm moving. in neutral/clutch level pulled in, i can rev it all i want, it won't make the sound. It sounds like the sound is coming directly under me. theres no specific side but i guess i'll pay more attention to it tonight.

Bike is an 06 with a bit over 14k. bought it earlier this month from a dealership who said it was ready to roll and had no issues. Obviously they didn't pay enough attention. Would the CCT/Valve/Whatever be covered under the YES plan?
I doubt an out of spec valve would be covered, but I'd be really surprised if a valve was out of spec at 14k. Does the clicking sound get faster as your RPMs go up? At 14k on an '06, I'd also be surprised if it was a CCT, but that MAY be covered. Guess that would depend on if your service dept. could sell the problem to Yamaha.

However, Skooter may be right. Sometimes they just make noise, and it may be nothing to worry about. I'd mention it to the dealer since it'll be there anyway. If they say it is ok, just ride it and don't worry about it. Just make sure you save your paperwork, "just in case." Haha...

Most likely reed valve or maybe even a noisy injector.

Ear plugs are cheap.

Perhaps so. Ear plugs are much cheaper than migraine medicine anyway. lol

I doubt an out of spec valve would be covered, but I'd be really surprised if a valve was out of spec at 14k. Does the clicking sound get faster as your RPMs go up? At 14k on an '06, I'd also be surprised if it was a CCT, but that MAY be covered. Guess that would depend on if your service dept. could sell the problem to Yamaha.

However, Skooter may be right. Sometimes they just make noise, and it may be nothing to worry about. I'd mention it to the dealer since it'll be there anyway. If they say it is ok, just ride it and don't worry about it. Just make sure you save your paperwork, "just in case." Haha...

I thought about the ticking getting faster, but in actuality it does not. it stays the same, may just slightly louder, but definitely not faster. At first i thought it was a wobbly windshield, but alas, tis not.

And you may be right...it could be all in my head :dribble:

Latest posts