PR2 Install Lament

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old Pilot

Reaction score
I've been running PR2s for several years and like them. I have a new pair ready to be installed.

The old dirt floor independent shop that has previously done my installs for $10-$20 per tire has a new policy- they will only install tires bought from them (and they will bill full MSRP+).

So, I checked around and yesterday went to another independent shop. They had quoted $50 to install both tires. When I got there they said they could not install 'low profile' tires.

Got on the phone, called another independent shop. No, they won't mount tubeless tires. WTF?

Finally bit the bullet and called a Yamaha dealership. Yes, they will install my tires. At shop rates, so the cost will be over $100 for the pair. To top it off, they don't have a balancer so cannot balance the install. WTF is with that? The service manager also told me it would take extra time to remove the side cases. Yeah, right. He went on to say that the exhaust might have to be removed. I set him straight on those issues, but really, it's a Yamaha dealership. Don't they know anything?

I know the PR2s typically require almost no balancing, and I've already got weights on the wheels from the $10-$20 shop that did balance the tires, so maybe it will be okay?

Kind of concerned about the no balancing install. What's the consensus?

Sounds like you need to get out of the Ozarks. :) I get 20.00 a wheel if they bring me the wheels or if I R&R the wheels it runs 60-80 bucks to mount and balance. I do charge extra for tubes and rim locks. Getting your own set up is the way to go

On my own stuff if the balance isn't far off I don't bother. I don't know that I have experienced a tire out of balance enough to feel it. YMMV

I'm with Ray. Two years ago I walked into a local independant and asked about PR2's. They wanted to charge me $420 for the set and another $140 to mount and balance. Oh yea, it was gonna cost extra cause I rode "a bagger".

I immediately found a Harbor Freight store, ponied up the $110 for a changer and scoured the internet for mounting and dismounting instructions. I also found a cheap balancer on ebay. For about $200 i learned to pull my wheels, dismount tires, remount tires and balance the suckers. To date I've probably done four or five sets of tires on numerous bikes. Figure I saved $1000 on tires and installation. Im not great at it, but it works. You might wanna consider the same.

Baz

PS: grab two jackstands, put the tires on the axle between the stands. Rotate. You'll get some resistance, (it's better if you have some roller bearings), but give balancing a try. I've read that if your close it's generally good enough. I've got a balancer and sometimes I'm not sure I'm right. I'm close though, no vibration or wobble, at least to 120mph. Never went faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL that's a whole slew of pathetic stories you got stuck with there. LOL remove the side cases and charge extra for it - turn the key and lift!!???? Exhaust???? Who the hell would design a bike requiring that?

I just mounted a PR2 rear myself tonight using a cycle hill tire changer I just bought. It was a bitch getting the top bead in with only the supplied bar. I was about to quit but I got it. Using their vehicle ramp base is kind of a pain as you can't walk around the unit. I bent the fulcrum bar too a bit so will look for a larger diameter one that fits the FJR. Only their smallest bar fits inside the rear wheel.

It was my first time ever mounting any type of tire so the fact I got it on at all makes me happy despite the struggle.

Time to get your own set up. At those prices, 3-4 sets of tires and its paid for itself. I have the NoMar jr pro. Works great. You can get cheaper stuff out there.

I definitely think you need to balance. Problem I have with PR2's is I've never seen a set with the ligth or heavy spot marked. I ended up with a fair amount of weight for the rear.

Google dynabeads, they are an option for tire balancing. However I and others here have reported a shimmy once you get 90+ MPH.

Not sure where you are in the ozarks, but one option is to strap the tires to the back of feej and come on over some weekend and I'll give you hand. Beeen changing and balancing my own for a couple of years.

That's a sad commentary to the customer service of today. I'm all for supporting local dealers, but when they pull this garbage makes you want to scream...

Any members near you that have a changer? If not, keep searching for a shop willing to mount for a reasonable price or bite the bullet and get yourself a set-up. My HF / Mojo / Marc Parnes equipment has paid for itself many times.

Good luck!

--G

Had similar issues. Local independent shop charged $25/wheel to mount and balance. Then it went to $35/wheel unless you bought the tire thru him. Which wasn't bad as he would meet any advertised price. Then he decided to move his shop about two hours away. He didn't survive the move. And I learned how to change tires with irons and spoons and eventually got a Cycle Hill changer and a Marc Parnes balancer. With the rates they're charging you, it quickly pays for itself.

Over at the other sandbox, there's a thread titled "Tire changing network." Thanks to that thread, forum member tstaff has had the glorious pleasure of changing a few sets of tires on my bike, and I'm due for new rubber before the riding season gets in full swing.

Who the hell would design a bike requiring that?
BMW?

:lol:

Found a Flea-Bay tire changer for $82.00 ebay link

I have heard good things about the Marc Parns wheel balancer. Marc Parnes link

At those prices I think I will be picking them both up next time I need new tires.

Just so that you realize, that eBay link goes to a bead breaker, not a tire changer. Once you break the bead with that tool, you'll still either need a set of tire irons or one of those long whammy bars (Mojo , No Mar, No scuff lever) to get the tire off and then new one on. To use one of the long levers you need a center fulcrum to lever against, and that stand doesn't seem to have one.

Definitely the way to go, changing your own. Makes tire replacements a no-anxiety situation. You get to just do it whenever it is convenient for you.

This all well and good, but how does this help the OP with his current tire change?

So...OldPilot, do you have a CycleGear anywhere close? They mount tires if you take the wheels off the bike, usually for around $35 each. I woulda recommended a dealer, but sounds like the guys around you are tools. Maybe take it to another dealer and see if they'll do it.

Can you take your wheels off your own bike, or are you dependent on the dealer to do it for you? My first couple tire changes, I paid way too much because I didn't know how to take the wheels off. If you don't know how, go to FJRTech and look over the tire removal install instructions. I have those printed out and still keep them with my tools for reference and torque specs.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice and the offer of assistance!

Yes, I have taken the wheels off before so that's not a problem. I've changed my own bike tires back in the '60s, '70s, and '80s so I'm no virgin, but (and some of you know this) I have a fubared back and changing my own tires now is a risk I'm not going to take.

The good news is I've found another independent shop about 40 miles away that may just be the ticket. I'll be going to the shop tomorrow morning to talk with the guy, and let him actually see the FJR. Hopefully there are no snafus and I can make an appointment and get this done.

Will update when I know more.

Been doing my own for years, Harbor Freight changer w/Mojo blocks and a Handy balancer, didn't find the PR2s to be any more difficult than all the other H,V, and Z rated tires I've done. Doing my own is the only way I can afford to keep 4 bikes on the road. I agree with the previous post about no balance marks on PR2s; the last 2 sets of Avons I bought didn't have balance marks either, and required more than the usual amount of weight. I wrote it off to another cost cutting measure. Just got a set of Metzler 880s for the old Madura; they came with balance marks. Unless you're lucky enough to have a good independent shop close to you, changing your own is the only way to go, IMHO, unless you enjoy getting raped.

Yeah, I'm not getting this Ii'm too old to change my own tires" thing. (sorry, but that is lame) <_<

If you are young enough to ride a rip snortin' 1300cc murdercycle, you're probably also young enuff to change a few tahrs. It ISN'T that hard. Just take your damn time and do it slow and easy... not fast.

Yeah, I'm not getting this Ii'm too old to change my own tires" thing. (sorry, but that is lame) <_<

If you are young enough to ride a rip snortin' 1300cc murdercycle, you're probably also young enuff to change a few tahrs. It ISN'T that hard. Just take your damn time and do it slow and easy... not fast.
Dude. Be an ass if you like. Maybe when you have 3 blown discs, arthritis, and bone spurs, you might get a clue. FWIW, doc's orders are to lift no more than 40#. Hell, just reaching down to pick something off the floor can be an adventure. I'm trying to put off fusion for a few more years. A back attack will effectively render me 'lame' for weeks if not months.

motorcycle superstore has a "ship to installer" program. I'm sure any of those shops would also accept walk-ins. It also lists install prices. It might be worth checking to see if there's a shop nearby that you're missing.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/819/MNGR/Preferred-Installer-Locator-a-Preferred-Installer.aspx

For the record, I'm a cycle hill owner and it's almost paid for itself after 5 changes.
The independent shop that told me they could not mount low profile tires is a listed installer on MC Superstore's site. :angry2:

Latest posts