U-Joint & Drive shaft

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdolma

Master chef for Kebobs & Hummus extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi all, took the liberty to clean the U joint today. The U joint is in a good shape given I lubed with Poly during the last tire change.

I took the pictures of the assembly and the shaft for reference. Cleaning is necessary...

P1050048.jpg

I would like to remove the yellow bolts below to further clean the area. Any recommendations?

P1050049a.jpg

The red arrows show some leaks, is that normal?

Thanks for your help

Armand

Hi all, took the liberty to clean the U joint today. The U joint is in a good shape given I lubed with Poly during the last tire change.<SNIP>

Armand
I would let the "sleeping dog lie on futhur dissassssembly for cleaning. The little seepage on the side cover is normal & the rest is covered up. Mine looked just like yours & I cleaned what I could & relubed & put it back togather. Nobody knows the difference. My experience is that taking stuff apart when not really necessary is not good....Later,,, De :)

It's still there. points to the same place. There were a lot of people who seemed to have a problem remembering that link. This seems to have addressed that.

Well, after riding the bike as is, and noticing that the oil leak comin out of these nuts was dripping on the muffler and smoking. Decided to take it to the dealer for a check up.

Just as I suspected, dealer retorqued and sure enough continued to leak.

It turns out the gasket's bad and YOC took the initiative to replace an O ring and the gasket. However, the number 3 bolt which they could not get to needed to be removed. The only way to remove it was to remove the engine or at least, move it "forward" enough so they can get to it.

I was shocked to find out they had to remove the tank, engine etc...just to get to that third bolt.

Just want to say YOC did a fantastic job, not a dime spent, all under warranty! Thank you YES and thanks YOC for a fantastic service!

1.jpg

Yello arrows

2.jpg

Coolant and oil were also replaced due to this process.

Well, after riding the bike as is, and noticing that the oil leak comin out of these nuts was dripping on the muffler and smoking. Decided to take it to the dealer for a check up.
Just as I suspected, dealer retorqued and sure enough continued to leak.

It turns out the gasket's bad and YOC took the initiative to replace an O ring and the gasket. However, the number 3 bolt which they could not get to needed to be removed. The only way to remove it was to remove the engine or at least, move it "forward" enough so they can get to it.

I was shocked to find out they had to remove the tank, engine etc...just to get to that third bolt.

Just want to say YOC did a fantastic job, not a dime spent, all under warranty! Thank you YES and thanks YOC for a fantastic service!

Coolant and oil were also replaced due to this process.
Ouch!!!

Just traced a puddle of oil under my bike to this very spot. No warranty.

Wonder how much they charge to pull the engine? This will be the third major service. Is it major service if it's just an o-ring? Guess it is if you have to pull the friggen engine out ot the bike. Piss poor engineering Yamaha!

I'm not pleased.

You do not have warranty? Or the dealer refuses to do it under warranty?

They said something around 7+ hours of labor. Parts were not that expensive.

BigD.

You do not have warranty? Or the dealer refuses to do it under warranty?
They said something around 7+ hours of labor. Parts were not that expensive.

BigD.
My warranty ran out a long time ago. This dealer went to bat for me with Yamaha to fix the ticking head a second time, and a year out of warranty. I have no issues with these guys. Woody's Topsham, ME.

It's going in next Thursday. They said the last two they did took two hours.

I didn't know there were that many FJR's in the area. Funny this issue hasn't gotten more ink on this forum. It might be related to the condition of the roads around here 7 month's of the year. Sand and salt.

The reason it only takes them two hours is because they notch the flange. Don't know how, but I asked if I could take a swing with the hammer. They said they have been able to get that third bolt out in the past.

Good news is they have a loaner HD Sportster for me. A nice reliable American bike. :glare:

Are those black covers always messed up/designed like that? When I lubed mine it looked almost exactly like the one in the pic...half broken off and whatnot.