Tried to convince the wife to get something sportier

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJet09

Nondescript FJR Hierarchy Displayed
Reaction score
She's been riding a 750 Shadow for a few years now and has been talking about getting a new bike for the last year or so, something with a little more power and comfort for weekend type trips together. I really thought this would be an opportunity to get another cool toy in the garage that we both could play with.

Well, this is what we ended up with...

img2635q.jpg

Not exactly what I had in mind, but it's what she decided she wanted and she's happy with it and if she's happy, I'm happy. Oh well, maybe after we sell her Shadow I'll go buy something for me.

https://xlforum.net/index.html Sportster's are great machines and here is a great resource for information on them. I have owned four: 1970 XLCH, 1978 XLCR Cafe Racer, 1986 XLH 1100 and 1998 XLH 1200 Twin Plugged Heads. Easy to maintain, no valve adjustments required on the Evolution motors and they keep their resale value well!

She's been riding a 750 Shadow for a few years now and has been talking about getting a new bike for the last year or so, something with a little more power and comfort for weekend type trips together. I really thought this would be an opportunity to get another cool toy in the garage that we both could play with.

Well, this is what we ended up with...

img2635q.jpg

Not exactly what I had in mind, but it's what she decided she wanted and she's happy with it and if she's happy, I'm happy. Oh well, maybe after we sell her Shadow I'll go buy something for me.
Um... I only see a single seat, where do you sit? :D

Oh well. At least she's riding and Ohio has a long history in iron and steel.

'Happy wife, happy life'.

Al

https://xlforum.net/index.html Sportster's are great machines and here is a great resource for information on them. I have owned four: 1970 XLCH, 1978 XLCR Cafe Racer, 1986 XLH 1100 and 1998 XLH 1200 Twin Plugged Heads. Easy to maintain, no valve adjustments required on the Evolution motors and they keep their resale value well!
A bit off topic, but I bet you wish you still had the 1978 XLCR Cafe Racer? They must be worth big bucks?

Our local HD dealer had two. One sat on the showroom floor forever and he tried to get me to buy the other one, in it's crate, for cost. No cash, didn't do it. They were cool!

Al

Thanks for the link.

I'm really amazed at all the accessories available for these bikes, you can spend a lot of money in a big hurry.

There is one of those sitting in my garage next to the FJR. The wife likes it and it got her riding again after an altercation with a pickup so it's a good thing. It handles much better than a big twin and has enough power to get you in trouble.

A bit off topic, but I bet you wish you still had the 1978 XLCR Cafe Racer? They must be worth big bucks?

Our local HD dealer had two. One sat on the showroom floor forever and he tried to get me to buy the other one, in it's crate, for cost. No cash, didn't do it. They were cool!

Al
Hi Al, I bought my XLCR for $1,500 when no one even wanted them, then rode it for 50K+ miles just doing routine maintenance on it; it was a trouble free machine and I sold it when it became a "Collectible Cult Bike", easiest 8 grand I have ever made because I sold it for $9,500! All running parts were H-D and if you could adjust valves on a Bug, you could do the Sporty's in half the time!

1978-HD-XLCR-Cafe-Racer-B.jpg

1978-HD-XLCR-Cafe-Racer-A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: