Slow Speed Stutter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincautious

Reaction score
I have a 2010 I recently purchased new. It has approx. 3000miles. I have noticed recently a pronounced stutter when starting ride in 1st gear for a few seconds. It seems to happen when I initially warm bike up or when bike was shut off for a short duration like 30 minutes. It resembles a two-stroke when you first take-off and clear it out. Other than that, it runs fine. Any suggestions?

I have a 2010 I recently purchased new. It has approx. 3000miles. I have noticed recently a pronounced stutter when starting ride in 1st gear for a few seconds. It seems to happen when I initially warm bike up or when bike was shut off for a short duration like 30 minutes. It resembles a two-stroke when you first take-off and clear it out. Other than that, it runs fine. Any suggestions?
Do you have an AE?

I had the same thing with my 04 recently. Didn't do this every start but a couple times a day when riding all day. A can of seafoam seems to have cleared up the trouble so I suspect it was a dirty injector. However your bike has such low miles I doubt that's the trouble but how long has this been going on? Bad gas perhaps? Can't hurt to run some seafoam or other type of injector cleaner in your next tank of gas.

Bike is standard shift. I would guess it has been happening for about a month. I thought at first I was imagining it. I think it is probably a little more obvious now. I did add a little seafoam but haven't tried it out yet. Will probably later on today.

Cold speed is around 1100rpm and drops to about 850-900 when warm. Counter clockwise on the slow speed idle adjustment knob?
Clockwise to increase idle speed. Adjustment to be made when engine is warmed up

Mine was set too low out of the box, and it stalled two or three times on the initial ride

Made a huge difference when I bumped up the idle to the recommended 1100 RPM

Cold speed is around 1100rpm and drops to about 850-900 when warm. Counter clockwise on the slow speed idle adjustment knob?
Clockwise to increase idle speed. Adjustment to be made when engine is warmed up

Mine was set too low out of the box, and it stalled two or three times on the initial ride

Made a huge difference when I bumped up the idle to the recommended 1100 RPM
You may find when increasing the rpm (clockwise) it is easier if you twist the throttle a bit. (give it some gas)