Homemade Camping Bag Straps for the Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
This is not re-inventing the wheel, but I thought it might be worth sharing. I recently bought camping gear for my bike trips. I got a large waterproof compression sack to hold everything. On my first trip recently, I used bungee cords to secure it to the bike, which produced results that were less than desirable. I looked online and found a company called Rok Straps – for $25.00 plus shipping, I could have a pair. Or….for about 1/3 of that, I could make my own.

Actually, I got mine for free because my friend Loki purchased all of the materials for me and refused to allow me to re-pay him (many thanks brother). However, a quick search on the web shows that you can get the materials below for about $8.00 shipped.

You will need about 15-20 feet of 1” strap webbing and 4 male/female plastic clips.

mystraps.jpg

Of course the FJR has a 2-piece saddle.

mystraps1.jpg

mystraps2.jpg

The first step is to make four (4) of these.

mystraps3.jpg

I cut a 24” piece of webbing and burned each end with a lighter to prevent unraveling. Then on one end I made a loop with a 2” hole.

mystraps4.jpg

My daughter is an excellent seamstress, so she bought some heavy duty thread and double stitched (thread from top and bottom on the machine) in a “box and X” pattern as shown. With all my might, I could not rip apart the tester.

mystraps5.jpg

Same pattern on the female clip end, with the loop here being tight.

mystraps6.jpg

These assemblies will be used to secure to the bike. Just loop the strap onto itself.

mystraps7.jpg

Here they are with the seat installed and ready to accept the bag.

mystraps9.jpg

Then, with the remaining webbing, I made two (2) male longer straps. Total web length is about 6 feet for each strap, which is way more than you will likely need, but it doesn’t hurt to have extra.

mystraps10.jpg

Then all that is left is to secure the bag. When I pull down on these babies, the bag now becomes part of the bike. I have an extra male/female clip stowed in my bike bag just in case one clip breaks.

mystraps11.jpg

This is extremely timely!! Just today I was organizing my gear, and packing it into my waterproof bag. I ordered some expensive ROK straps and really am not that impressed. I have the 1" nylon strap webbing "in stock", and I'll just go get the clips tomorrow. My wife is an excellent seamstress who used to have a business repairing outdoor equipment. I'm thinking she can "fix me up". ( I'll just take her to dinner or something.)

Thanks!

Nice looking set-up and secure too!

I've done something similar with Rok Straps and it's easy on / off and handy for unpacking after a long day.

--G

Those straps look exactly like the ones that come with the mooring cover for my boat. I bet you could get them from a boat supplier online like Barts Waterski or West Marine. They're great, I use them for lots of things. Your idea of running them down to the frame cross member is a great improvement, thanks.

nice set up.

you can ad the slide on cam buckles and have a 'no sew' option (for those of us challenged)

hppants, i like the dry bag... please share info about it??

Last edited by a moderator:
you can ad the slide on cam buckles and have a 'no sew' option (for those of us challenged)
Cam buckles while a good idea, are one of those things that don't work so great in real life. But I'm not bitter :D

Thank you for the replies.

hppants, i like the dry bag... please share info about it??
Here is the bag I have:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-XPG8482-Waterproof-Compression-Bags/716075.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcompression%2Bsack%2Bwaterproof%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=compression+sack+waterproof&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

(sorry for the long link)

This is a fine piece of equipment. I'm convinced I could throw it in the lake and my stuff would stay dry. The bag can be rolled down and it holds its shape well. If you notice, I arranged my gear in it to make the cross section more narrow - this is to give me more seat room to wiggle on the bike. The compression straps pull down my camping gear to nothing. My bag in the photograph has my 2-man tent, 0-degree sleeping bag, Big Agness inflatable matress, my pillow, a 8x10 plastic tarp, and a gallon sized ziploc bag of "camp goodies". As you can see, it pulls down to a very manageable size. I can still get to my saddle bags easily.

Anyway, YMMV

Just a note... You mentioned you had extra male and female clips on the bike in case one breaks. You probably need a spare looped strap with female clip attached. Spare clip won't do you any good if you can't sew it on. I like the idea but would be happier with something a little more robust than the clips.

+1 on the seamstress option, if you don't have one on retainer you'll pay for it. I found Rok Straps at "aviciouscycle.ca" 12"-42" adjustable for $11.99 a pair. Not affiliated with this company, i just found it while scouring on the net. I thought that was a good deal, some on order.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you didn't try... flat bungees (instead of the round kind) work really well.

I always like these home-made options. But for those of us without a seamstress on retainer, there's $20 delivered Rok Strap options.
Sweet...I mostly use flat bungees. Never had a problem with them, but there have been times when I wanted straps to just cinch something down. I like the OP's homemade option, but by the time I pay a seamstress to do what I need, I might as well just buy the straps.

That link to those RokStraps was perfect. I have two on the way.

Thanks!