Where to stay?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowAndSilent

Reaction score
I will be making my way through the Sacramento area later this week and plans to stay with relatives seem to have fallen through.

Are there places any of you would recommend staying? Locations to stay away from? Others that may be better for someone on the road? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sacramento is a big city with lodging options to suit any price range and level of luxury desired. What I will tell you is to avoid the Red Roof Inn on Northgate Blvd. So that's one down, 500 to choose from.

Sacramento is a big city with lodging options to suit any price range and level of luxury desired. What I will tell you is to avoid the Red Roof Inn on Northgate Blvd. So that's one down, 500 to choose from.
Well, that is helpful. It has been crossed off my list. Thanks!

L&S, what part of town are the relatives in? Do you want to do some riding in the area while you're here? What's the budget?

The Radison Woodlake is a great hotel if you like a full service hotel with bars, restaurants and first-floor rooms where you can park the bike outside the door. On the other hand, there are great places to stay at all budget points in and outside of town and up in the foothill communities. Just depends what you're looking for. It would almost be easier if you found a place then asked if it's okay.

Avoid Del Paso Hts, Northgate, Rio LInda, Meadow View, Oak Park, South Sacramento (Florin to Freeport). Rumor has it that MadMike2 is in Elk Grove, and Old Michael is in Citrus Heights. Judge for yourself. There are a lot of FJR riders here and it wouldn't be too hard to hook up depending when you're here and what your agenda is.

Rumor has it that MadMike2 is in Elk Grove, and Old Michael is in Citrus Heights. Judge for yourself. There are a lot of FJR riders here and it wouldn't be too hard to hook up depending when you're here and what your agenda is.
Speaking of Elk Grove, we stay there every Thanksgiving, have tried quite a sampling of places. Best bet is the hotels on the I-5 side of town, not the CA-99 side of town.

L&S, what part of town are the relatives in? Do you want to do some riding in the area while you're here? What's the budget?

The Radison Woodlake is a great hotel if you like a full service hotel with bars, restaurants and first-floor rooms where you can park the bike outside the door. On the other hand, there are great places to stay at all budget points in and outside of town and up in the foothill communities. Just depends what you're looking for. It would almost be easier if you found a place then asked if it's okay.

Avoid Del Paso Hts, Northgate, Rio LInda, Meadow View, Oak Park, South Sacramento (Florin to Freeport). Rumor has it that MadMike2 is in Elk Grove, and Old Michael is in Citrus Heights. Judge for yourself. There are a lot of FJR riders here and it wouldn't be too hard to hook up depending when you're here and what your agenda is.
Thanks Tom. That's more of what. Was going for, in terms of what areas of the city or surrounding area to avoid. I'd warn people off of staying around Everett or South Seattle, even Lynnwood, when traveling through up here. So that was helpful.

I'm trying to keep my budget as low as possible. Unemployed grad student and all. So that's the one issue.

Relatives are near Citrus Heights I believe. I'd be leaving out that way the next morning, passing through Reno and then east on 50.

Sadly, I don't think I'll have all that much free time when I am down there. Just passing through as I make my way eastward. Though, I will be trying to leave from Portland early enough that I will get to the Sacramento area around 3-5 PM...plenty of time to putter around the area. I'd be up to cruise area the area if anyone knows some good riding area that's not too far away.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the plan is to head East on 50, don't go up I-80 to Reno. Just drop down to Folsom and split east from there. Hwy 50 is a much nicer drive than I-80.

Hotels near I-80 and Madison Avenue include Motel 6, Crown Plaza and others. See what fits your budget. The largest Cycle Gear shop is at that intersection and Capital Yamaha is nearby if you need anything FJR specific.

Down by Hwy 50 you could affordably stay in either the Fairfield or Hampton Inn near Zinfandel and US50, or La Quinta at Sunrise and US50 in Rancho Cordova. Just seconds away from Clearwater Lights, restaurants, brew-pubs etc. Rancho Cordova is a decent place and convenient. Folsom will be more expensive but lots of places along Bidwell Street. All of these places have easy access to Citrus Heights and will let you scoot out of town.

If staying in Rancho Cordova, if you have time to ride, take White Rock Road east to Scott Road south and continue to Stonehouse Road. That will take you through some pretty countryside and amazing whoop-T-doos and drop you on Hwy 16 . If you have more time, continue east on 16 to Latrobe Rode and ride back north on some of our best foothill twisties to White Rock or Hwy 50, then return to Rancho Cordova. Or if time is getting short, take Hwy 16 back west to Sunrise and ride back north into Rancho Cordova the quick way. Map Link for a quick ride

If the plan is to head East on 50, don't go up I-80 to Reno. Just drop down to Folsom and split east from there. Hwy 50 is a much nicer drive than I-80.

Hotels near I-80 and Madison Avenue include Motel 6, Crown Plaza and others. See what fits your budget. The largest Cycle Gear shop is at that intersection and Capital Yamaha is nearby if you need anything FJR specific.

Down by Hwy 50 you could affordably stay in either the Fairfield or Hampton Inn near Zinfandel and US50, or La Quinta at Sunrise and US50 in Rancho Cordova. Just seconds away from Clearwater Lights, restaurants, brew-pubs etc. Rancho Cordova is a decent place and convenient. Folsom will be more expensive but lots of places along Bidwell Street. All of these places have easy access to Citrus Heights and will let you scoot out of town.

If staying in Rancho Cordova, if you have time to ride, take White Rock Road east to Scott Road south and continue to Stonehouse Road. That will take you through some pretty countryside and amazing whoop-T-doos and drop you on Hwy 16 . If you have more time, continue east on 16 to Latrobe Rode and ride back north on some of our best foothill twisties to White Rock or Hwy 50, then return to Rancho Cordova. Or if time is getting short, take Hwy 16 back west to Sunrise and ride back north into Rancho Cordova the quick way. Map Link for a quick ride
Thanks again, Tom! Lots of great info. I'll play round with my routing tonight and see what is do-able. It'd be nice to see a little more of the area, at least more than I got to see last August when I was around there. I'll be sure to research the areas you mentioned.