Fuse Blocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I need to find a better way to hook up stuff. I currently have a battery tender and heated gear hooked directly to my battery and am adding a permanent Zumo connection and probably a horn harness, extra power outlet(s) and auxillary lighting. Its already tough to get the battery connections hooked up and it will be near impossible once I add the other stuff. The obvious answer is an auxillary fuse panel.

I have done some reading (here and elsewhere) and have found three four possibilities that seem to be commonly used on motorcycles (in no particular order)...

Eastern Beaver

https://www.easternbe...-8.html#pc8only

Blue Sea

https://bluesea.com/c...productline/126

Centech

https://centechwire.c...anels/ap2.shtml

Fuzeblock

https://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Others??

What are most FJR folks running and why?

Install location? I have seen some under the passenger seat but it seems to me that you would have to run a lot of wires back to the front. I would like it to be as simple and convenient as possible without excessive amounts of extra wire. It obviously has to be in a reasonably accessible location and well protected from the elements.

Where do you get your power to activate the relay for switched power? Positap or other method of connection? Headlights which would only work after starting the bike or other location (i.e. marker lights) which would work with key on.

Wire routing?

Do you have "always live" circuits, "switched circuits" or both?

What version are you using of any of the above brands - there are some options?

Physical size, versatility, robustness, capacity, ease of mounting/installation and (to a lesser extent) price are all to be considered.

Got pictures??

Thanks

Ross

P.S. Suggested location for an additional cigarette lighter type of power socket?

Note: If this has been covered in detail before, just point me in the right direction. I did read the FJRTech article.

Edit - Added Fuzeblock to selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mounted my fuze block in the tail on a plate that is offered here by a member. Could not be happier!!!!!!

fuze%20block.jpg

I have the same setup as LAF. I ran the wiring down the outside of of the underseat pan and on to the handlebars for the power and stuff, and to the battery. I have the relay connected to the license plate light.

I use a Centech on the FJR, but have an Eastern Beaver for the VStrom.

Ian

I had a Centech under the passenger seat but am changing it for a Fuzeblock so that I can get some switched circuits.

I power my Zumo from the 12v outlet on my Starcomm Digital to reduce the possibilities of ground loop

I have a Powerlet outlet up near the battery and another Powerlet outlet down near the passenger foot peg on the left side that I use for heated gear.

We just did Big Paz's bike with a fuse block that he put under the drive's seat. The fuse block was from Twisted Throttle and seemed to be well done.

So, to power it, you want to run two wires from the battery: positive and negative. Then, under your left side panel, you will find a little blue wire that runs your tail lights. That wire is switched power that comes on when you turn the key on, instead of just when you hit the starter button. Splice into that wire with the fuse box, and now you have switched power for that relay.

The TT block was cool, becase depending on how you mounted the fuse for each particular accessory, it was either switched or unswitched. It's pretty easy, and if you have multiple wires running the same direction, you can use the wire tubing to keep them together ( I know it has a proper name, I just can't remember it right now). A radio shop guy I used to know would use a drill to spin the hot and ground wires of each accessory together. That made it easy to follow a wire's route, and we always knew which wires belonged together.

We just did Big Paz's bike with a fuse block that he put under the drive's seat. The fuse block was from Twisted Throttle and seemed to be well done.

So, to power it, you want to run two wires from the battery: positive and negative. Then, under your left side panel, you will find a little blue wire that runs your tail lights. That wire is switched power that comes on when you turn the key on, instead of just when you hit the starter button. Splice into that wire with the fuse box, and now you have switched power for that relay.

The TT block was cool, becase depending on how you mounted the fuse for each particular accessory, it was either switched or unswitched. It's pretty easy, and if you have multiple wires running the same direction, you can use the wire tubing to keep them together ( I know it has a proper name, I just can't remember it right now). A radio shop guy I used to know would use a drill to spin the hot and ground wires of each accessory together. That made it easy to follow a wire's route, and we always knew which wires belonged together.
This is exactly what I did with my Fuze Block, but I mounted it under the pillion seat. Could not be happier.

I really like the FuzeBlock brand combination terminal strip and switching relay, And have installed one on my Suzuki V-strom. But the FJR is a bit of a weird bike in that our battery is in the nose of the bike, not under the seat, as most others are. That makes it less convenient to locate the fuzeblock under the seat where it is most convenient to access. That is why I have two separate power terminal strips, one switched power strip up in the nose faring for the devices up front (heated grips and GPS power) and a second un-switched strip under the seat for the heavy load of heated gear.

Still, if I was wiring a bike from scratch today, I would spend the extra coin on the FuzeBlock and put it under the seat somewhere. I'll actually be doing that some day very soon when we wire up bbdig's electrically virgin 2004 for his trip cross country in June.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm going to install a 6ish circuit fuse block of some kind. My question is:

Has anyone mounted one of these somewhere OTHER THAN under one of the seats, and if so, do you have any pictures of your install? Likes? Dislikes?

I use the under seat area for a lot of other stuff that comes with me on every ride, so space is currently at a premium.

I have a FuzeBlock FZ1 mounted on the plastic fender under the passenger seat. It really doesn't compete with all the things I have under the main seat or back in the tail section. BTW, the Curt Gran who made and sold these died in a motorcycle accident in June, and there is a very limited supply. Get it while you can.

I believe Cindy is keeping the Fuzeblocks going, so should continue to be available.

Alex at RealtimeIndustries has them with forum discount as does Cyclenutz, where we did the group Buy.

Good quality product and I have no complaints. Under driver's seat for me, tight squeeze in an AE, so not too bad. It's less than 30 minute job to route a wire from heated group (for the switched side) and a good quality battery plus and minus, I had them routed over the heat shield for many rallies and tucked them under when I did valves.

I like to be able to switch certain circuits from switched to I Unswitched in a couple minutes time.

Another option that is available is the FarkleBar https://www.farklebar.com/

I saw this in Denver at the IBA meet. Great option for multi-bike owners. He makes a

FJR specific mount also. Secure all your farkles inside a motel room with the turn of 2 knobs

and a quick disconnect. I have a Fuzeblock under the seat on the '05 FJR, But I might be changing

directions with the Dakar and '08 FJR. I think it might save some cost in the long run.

Also USB ports are a + feature.

I did a 6 circuit fuse block in the glove box of my '04. Really cut down on the runs of wire to the back of the bike and back to the front. Link to the write up here, unfortunately, I can't find the pictures right now.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm going to install a 6ish circuit fuse block of some kind. My question is:

Has anyone mounted one of these somewhere OTHER THAN under one of the seats, and if so, do you have any pictures of your install? Likes? Dislikes?

I use the under seat area for a lot of other stuff that comes with me on every ride, so space is currently at a premium.

I went with the Eastern Beaver PC8 and put it under the seat. It is very well made and has 6 switched and 2 un-switched circuits. The main reason for the choice was that I needed wiring harnesses and switches to go with it and Jim provided one stop shopping for top quality stuff. Shipping from Japan was quick and he also responded to personal emails quickly when I had some technical questions, so good customer service too.

As far as switched power, I may be the only one to have used this source; I removed the PAIR system and discovered that the wire that powered the servo/valve gizmo that was part of the system was switched, so the relay is powered from there. Other options up front are to tap the windshield retract or the side marker/turn signal wires.

So far I'm running 2 sets of aux. lights, heated grips (Hot Grips) and a heated clothing/battery tender connection off of it.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

I like the idea of a replaceable relay. The Eastern Beaver looks good. I have used Electrical Connection's "Universal Power Plate" on my last four bikes. It is a bit smaller, a bit naked, comes with the relay kit, hooks up with 10 gauge wire. Not the most sophisticated, does not have any unswitched circuits. I ran a pos & neg from the battery under the tank to the rear of the bike, in a cloth type sheathing that can be flattened, installed the relay there under the rear seat latch area, the fuse panel resides at the rear of the tank on the little shelf where the front seat tab goes in. Note, the plastic adapter on a Gen II puts a little pressure on the top due to a smidge not enough vertical room for it, not the ideal situation, but functional. Why there, I keep a tool bag in the tail section, have my Audiovox cruise, vac reservoir (a little too big gonna downsize), and PowerCommander in the under seat tray plus kept the OEM tool kit in place... Planning to clean all this up this winter.

https://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/pplate-02202.htm

Another option that is available is the FarkleBar https://www.farklebar.com/
Dude, that thing is just plain FUGLY. But I guess if it works........

Am looking forward to seeing mounting photos on your FJR..........

I REALLY wanted to get my Fuzeblock in the front fairing on my new POS Gen II like I have them on my Gen Is, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM up front for one. :angry:

I don't want to put it under the seat. Fortunately Fairlaner turned me on to another location where I plan on putting mine. Dual lock velcro'd to the right side of the airbox behind the ABS lines:

IMG_8861.jpg