FJR OEM Top Box Dimensions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nervous

Reaction score
Does anyone have the actual inside dimensions of the OEM Top Box? All I can find is that they are 1.38 cu/ft capacity (how's that compare to a Givi 37L case). Will an average sized laptop bag/soft briefcase fit inside of one? And, do they come with the lock assy?

I loved my Givi Maxia but I don't need anything that big. Too bad there are no lower profile top cases.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lock assembly comes with the bike. Bike comes with 3 locks, 2 are used for the side cases, and the third is supplied under the seat when delivered new to the original owner. That lock is intended for use in the top case, if ever purchased.

If you got a used bike and no third lock, as I did, then get a Givi top case. :) You might be able to get a lock from someone who doesn't want their third, or from a bike that's been wrecked, but you'll have to have a locksmith match it to your key. Easily done, and if he asks you for more than 10 or 15 bucks then he's a thief.

The problem with Yamaha's case is it's oddly shaped. Tall and not very wide. Also, the sides are very thick, so the interior volume is nothing like you'd expect on looking at the case from outside.

Thanks to you both for that info. I'll continue to see what's available but it does not sound like the OEM will be to my liking and all the pics I can find have not moved me to purchase. No hurry.

Thanks to you both for that info. I'll continue to see what's available but it does not sound like the OEM will be to my liking and all the pics I can find have not moved me to purchase. No hurry.
I would also point out they can take forever to get. I ordered mine as a package deal when negotiating the bike purchase last year. After 8 months, and two tries, I finally have one. The wrong model year color to boot. Still dealing with dealer and Yamaha to correct. A sagaill share with folks soon I expect.

Here are a few pics:

WP_001407.jpg

WP_001405.jpg

WP_001404.jpg

WP_001401.jpg

WP_001398.jpg

Hope that helps...

Yikes! Sorry about the pic size!

Here are a few pics:

Hope that helps...

Yikes! Sorry about the pic size!
Excellent and thanks so much! I am sure I am not the only person that will apreciate that info.

Tell me, how do you like it overall? Is it pretty secure on the bike? I read somewhere last night about an issue with them coming off at inopportune times...

how do you like it overall? Is it pretty secure on the bike?
I really like mine.

•  
  • As has been mentioned, the interior volume is smaller than it looks like form the outside, and it's sort of a weird shape, but it fits a full face helmet plus other stuff well. My briefcase fits in it, but not laying flat or completely vertical. Sort of angled toward the front of the bike, if that makes sense.
  • I like that it installs in a manner almost identical to the side bags (same flap to lock/unlock and handle to lock and unlock from bike) and uses the same key.
  • I like the look better than the alternatives, but that is COMPLETELY subjective.
  • Another positive is that the Yamaha FJR cover (if you have one) has a zippered pouch that pops out and perfectly fits around the top case if its on and folds away when you ride without it.

As far as security goes, I'm not sure how it could come off, although I've read that too. There is a large lip at the front that fits into an opening, and a tab that pushes out into a matching void on the back side. I do sometimes thing that is has more movement than I'd like when underway, but I think that is the mount rather than any attachment between mount and top case.

Also in terms of the security of the attachment, my SO feels completely confident leaning back against it when riding 2-up.;

All in all, although mine came with my bike form the PO, I'd buy another if I ever replaced the bike.

I really like mine.

•  
  • As has been mentioned, the interior volume is smaller than it looks like form the outside, and it's sort of a weird shape, but it fits a full face helmet plus other stuff well. My briefcase fits in it, but not laying flat or completely vertical. Sort of angled toward the front of the bike, if that makes sense.
  • I like that it installs in a manner almost identical to the side bags (same flap to lock/unlock and handle to lock and unlock from bike) and uses the same key.
  • I like the look better than the alternatives, but that is COMPLETELY subjective.
  • Another positive is that the Yamaha FJR cover (if you have one) has a zippered pouch that pops out and perfectly fits around the top case if its on and folds away when you ride without it.

As far as security goes, I'm not sure how it could come off, although I've read that too. There is a large lip at the front that fits into an opening, and a tab that pushes out into a matching void on the back side. I do sometimes thing that is has more movement than I'd like when underway, but I think that is the mount rather than any attachment between mount and top case.

Also in terms of the security of the attachment, my SO feels completely confident leaning back against it when riding 2-up.;

All in all, although mine came with my bike form the PO, I'd buy another if I ever replaced the bike.
+1 on all of the Above with just 1 addition. When installed, the Yamaha Truck's lines follow the lines of the rest of the Bike Beautifully. No other Manufacturer No where, No How Come even Close to how good this trunk looks on this Bike! My humble opinion, of coarse! :)

That's krazy JT..

What dealership is responsable for that kinda crap??
Heinen Motorsports

33 Central Ave

Osseo‎ Mn,‎ 55369

United States of America

Paul Heinen is the owner. He's dodging my calls now (and I'm really not calling that often). So I just stay on hold till he's ready to talk. I'm ready to be done with it. He said Yamaha will pay to have it painted locally. So why he's avoiding me I can't say.

One more call and then it's time to start writing letters.

Ugh.

I really like mine.

•  

Even though mine is wrong model year silver;), I like it as well. The design, same as side bags, should keep it dry even in toughest of rains. My kids appreciate it as well.

The only way I would imagine it coming off is by being I attentive when mounting it. The design is about as foolproof as you'll get. The lip on the front edge mates with he mount plate. Then, hinge-like, you lower the trunk to he plate. There's a tongue that protrudes into a hole in the plate. Close the latch and a finger extends to keep the tongue from popping back up.

If you were exceptionally careless it'd fall of pretty quickly. Otherwise, mine at least, is solid.

:)

I guess there was a safety recall on my 2006 trunk. Not sure what was done as I took it to the dealer. Like everyone never had an issue, riding 2UP or otherwise.

If anyone has the third lock and doesn't need it, I still am without lock :angry2:

Nice EZ Pass back there. I got one of those handbar brackets, never considered putting it back in the trunk. Any issues?

Personally, I find the Yamaha trunk useless, just because of its odd shape. My E52 holds two full face helmets, or a large laptop bag (flat,) or a case of soft drinks, and looks better than that ass pimple Yamaha sells. :p

Just my opinion, though. :)

DSC02439.jpg

Nice EZ Pass back there. I got one of those handbar brackets, never considered putting it back in the trunk. Any issues?
I used to have the pass on Velcro on the windshield when needed and on Velcro in the top case when not for security, but it seems to work just fine in the trunk so never mess with moving now...