Best Rain Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababang

Reaction score
All

Looking for opinions and thoughts about the best rain gear on the market. I live in NC so the weather tends to be on the warm side, I'm also 6,2" with a 32" inseam and find its always a pain to find rain pants with full length zippers. Any suggestions?

Aerostitch is the standard for motorcycles. Don't know how good it is in the heat. Some of the guys that live in the South can comment on that.

1333508613[/url]' post='950160']Aerostitch is the standard for motorcycles. Don't know how good it is in the heat. Some of the guys that live in the South can comment on that.
I'll second the Aerostitch. My wife and I both have been wearing the AD1 overpants for 4 years now without any leaks or issues. The pants have worked great in all conditions and temps from 26 to 100+ degrees. We generally wear them just over a thermal base layer with wicking abilities (polyester). Because they are lined with Goretex you don' t end up feeling like your wearing a Hefty trash bag and suffocating . Aerostitch has a good sizing chart that should aid in choosing the correct size and exchanges aren't an issue. Good luck with your search.

+1 on Aerostich

I've had RoadCrafter 2-piece since 2008 and it's all I wear on long trips, whatever the weather. It's been in pounding rain, with absolutely no leaks ever. I've never had a problem with the heat, I just zip down the front and get some air moving in.

I do have as well and my wife has a newer pair of FroggToggs, in HiViz. I wear them if I'm wearing my TourMaster gear for whatever reason. The older ones didn't breathe too well, but my wife says the new one isn't too bad.

Ian

I've had good luck with real Gortex brand stuff (don't know about alternative brand breathable material). It breaths yet doesn't leak. I've used non breathable material suits before and got pretty damp from sweating in it. If you search outside of MC specific sites (Cabala's for one), you can find a lot more options.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Olympia Phantom keeps most of it away - if I need extra protection, my Tourmaster stuff has never let me down.

Aerostitch is the standard for motorcycles. Don't know how good it is in the heat. Some of the guys that live in the South can comment on that.
There is no "perfect" gear but I think the Aerostich Roadcrafter is pretty close.

The Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece works great with the FJR when it is cold and wet. On unfaired bikes the 'crotch leak' is more common, but the FJR's fairing has eliminated that (at least in my experience it has). Since the Gore-tex is built in you will never have to go through the "will it rain" mental andguish. That's what when you are riding in non-waterproof-gear and you see some clouds, and you think "should I go put my gear on before it rains? But it might not rain. I don't want to get wet then have to put it on, but I don't want to put it on and then be hot and stuffy if it never rains. Maybe it will just sprinkle for a few minutes.". Nor will you have to do the "roadside raindance" when the skies open up and you're in the middle of Wyoming next to nowhere and the only place to stop is the side of the road and you're digging through your bags for your raingear or waterproof liners for under your mesh gear and traffic is zooming by and you're getting drenched hopping around trying to get your feet into the rain pants and by the time you're back on the bike you're soaked and cold. With the Aerostich you just ... close some vents.

That being said, the 'stich isn't perfect. We all have our own heat+humidity tolerance levels, mine is fortunately high and the convenience factor rates higher. Locally on hot humid days I will just wear mesh and perforated stuff, but on trips I won't pack a second set of duds so I put up with the 'stich as it handles wide temperature and moisture levels extremely well. I'll wear biker shorts and compression/heat-gear under the stich and I've survived 110F days in the deserts. I wasn't entirely comfortable, but at least the 1-pc stich can very quickly be taken on and off - wehn stopped, my buddies are sweating in their leather pants I'm running around in biker shorts (to the detriment of said friends).

Pick your poison and choose your favorite, but hopefully you can learn from us and not waste money on different "solutions" learning it yourself.

All

Looking for opinions and thoughts about the best rain gear on the market. I live in NC so the weather tends to be on the warm side, I'm also 6,2" with a 32" inseam and find its always a pain to find rain pants with full length zippers. Any suggestions?
Just to clarify. Are you looking for a waterproof riding suit or rainwear to go over a suit?

I just went down this road. Bought an Olympia Airglide 3 jacket with matching Airglide pants - both have waterproof liners. Then for summer rain I bought a Frogg Toggs Highway Toadz reflective jacket and Toadskinz pants to be worn over the Olympia suit with the liners removed.

Wore the whole 'ensemble' last weekend in rain, light snow and low temperatures - worked very well.

Seem to remember this was discussed a while back and not many people liked the Frogg Toggs, but I have been assured that their entire line has been improved. We'll see.

Al

The Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece works great with the FJR when it is cold and wet. On unfaired bikes the 'crotch leak' is more common, but the FJR's fairing has eliminated that (at least in my experience it has). Since the Gore-tex is built in you will never have to go through the "will it rain" mental andguish.
I love my 1pc Roadcrafter, but have experienced crotch leak on the FJR if I'm not careful about positioning the suit material near the crotch. My suit tends to create a trough for water to collect in (and then go through the zipper) unless I reposition the folds.

A big +1 on avoiding the "will it rain" anguish! I ride everyday regardless of weather and don't even bother checking the weather forecast before heading out because I know I'm prepared for anything (cold, rain, crashes, etc). Truth be told, I do check the weather in the winter when the possibility of snow exsists but that has nothing to do with the abilities of the gear. :p

All

I am the same height/inseam. The best solution I have found is a pair of Gortex Mountain Hardwear ski pants and Gortex Patagonia Rain Jacket. I seam sealed the crotch of the pants and the shoulders of the jacket and have had zero leakage. I road 8K in Sept through a hurricane and some crazy bad t-storms in Utah at 80mph without any leakage. Both zip on quickly over my leather gear (60 seconds for both). The is the best solution that I have found and I live in the southeast as well.

ok, since someone else cracked the lid, i will comment on my experience with frogg toggs...

purchased at cyclegear. bought the medium huge to go over my gear.

for the money i didn't expect a lot, but was up to the experiment.

these cannot compair to the quality of Motoport... or any of the above mentioned good stuff for that matter...

HOWEVER...

My only experiences so far (at least with rain)was a true test. (i've worn them in 30-40 deg. cold but dry conditions and they very effectively block the wind and add an extra layer of protection)

3+ hours in driving torential rain, the kind that people pull over in. held the throttle steady and rolled on. (the FJR is damn amazing in this kind of weather with the right tires by the way)

the toggs were amazing... had not a single leak. i found this to incredible and nearly unbelievable.

unlike the previous set of rubberized cheap crap from Cycle gear, i never overheated in them or became wet from moisture buildup.

there was standing water on the seat of the bike when i dismounted.

and while i don't expect them to last long, a few seasons tops, i was impressed...

They are not sexy but they packup small and worked well.

so... FWIW, at least one set of toggs seems to be fairly well made.

YMMV...

Back in the mid 90's when I rode an HD Ultra, I bought a HD rain suit. In 2001 I sold the HD and bought a new Gold Wing. In March, I bought a 2010 FJR. The HD rain pants and jacket have held up for 17 years without a rip, tear or leak. Once I get over the logo, I stay very comfortable and dry.

I vote Motoport. If you do any traveling or serious riding where rain could be an issue then the extra money for this gear is well worth it IMHO. The removable rain liners also make great wind blockers to keep the cold out when cool.

I also live where it gets warm in the summer, Nor-Cal, and having the mesh gear with excellent air-flow and armor protection is warranted. Even though you experience some discomfort when stopped in extreme heat because of the heavier fabric and armor but like I said, worth it.

Also Motoport will back up their fitment if there's an issue. Ride safe. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, since someone else cracked the lid, i will comment on my experience with frogg toggs...

My only experiences so far (at least with rain)was a true test. (i've worn them in 30-40 deg. cold but dry conditions and they very effectively block the wind and add an extra layer of protection)
I'll see your Frogg Toggs experience, and raise you a full day in a nuking rainstorm from Sacramento to Redding and return in one day. Water was heavy enough to cause some hydroplaning, especially during lane changes, and waterlogged GoreTex boots. My body stayed dry and warm. I have used the Frogg Toggs in incredibly intense rain between Indiana and Illinois where cars were pulled under overpasses because there was no visibility, and the road was flooded, and stayed dry (except my feet). Totally unfashionable. Completely uncool, but dammit they work!

I'll see your Frogg Toggs experience, and raise you a full day in a nuking rainstorm from Sacramento to Redding and return in one day. Water was heavy enough to cause some hydroplaning, especially during lane changes, and waterlogged GoreTex boots. My body stayed dry and warm. I have used the Frogg Toggs in incredibly intense rain between Indiana and Illinois where cars were pulled under overpasses because there was no visibility, and the road was flooded, and stayed dry (except my feet). Totally unfashionable. Completely uncool, but dammit they work!

that's awesome...