Tbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I should have added the smiley face!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Carbs?!!

Is that better? I guess I was in "Friday mode" and needed another cup of coffee.

Yes I have everything you need to resync the throttle bodies on the fuel injection system. Send me a PM and we can get together on Saturday morning if you like here in East Hartford.

You guys r brutal when I wrote carb tune I meant the brand Carbtune.
Haha...No, you said:

Anybody in ct with a carb tune that can help me to sync carbs?
Either way, it's funny, and I'm glad someone is stepping up to help you out.

What I don't get is why we have to do TB syncs at all. I have two Ford V8s that make 300+ horses each. I don't have to do TB syncs on either of those, so why do I have to do it on a modern, fuel injected, in-line 4?

What I don't get is why we have to do TB syncs at all. I have two Ford V8s that make 300+ horses each. I don't have to do TB syncs on either of those, so why do I have to do it on a modern, fuel injected, in-line 4?
My answer is that inline-4's are inherently unbalanced (first-order harmonics and other physics things which they don't teach software engineers like me). I'm guessing that this engine configuration is much more sensitive to small variations in levels of power which would cause minor vibrations unless compensated for via the TB air adjust screws. I've never to had to adjust the TB's on my other FI bikes (SV/DL/VF/VFR/VT) - none of which produce the fine hand-numbing vibrations.

Does you Ford have one TB per cylinder? If not, you can't really adjust for individual cylinder variations by adjusting the TB's.

Add to it that in cars we are more isolated from the engines and perhaps don't notice the vibes to the point where we should care about TB sync's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read my post your right I deserve it all don't know what I was thinking.
In all fairness you never mentioned which bike needed syncing.

In addition to the FJR I own four bikes with carbs.

( And they are all in need of a good "carb sync". )

Dork. I'm betting both the V-8s on have ONE throttlebody for all 8 cylinders. Kinda hard to sync throttlebodies when there is only one.

Dork. I'm betting both the V-8s on have ONE throttlebody for all 8 cylinders. Kinda hard to sync throttlebodies when there is only one.
Then why not have one throttle body for all four cylinders in the FJR? What's the difference? Performance, vibes, what? I really don't know, so I'm asking. I still think it's dumb that we have to do all this bullshit to a modern motorcycle but don't have to do the same thing to our cars when some have the same power/weight ratio.

How many of us would buy a car/truck if we had to take it in for a $600+ valve inspection/adjustment every 26k? People don't even like having to change a timing belt every 100k, so know a valve adjustment inverval would go over like a fart in church. I understand that there is some power loss by going to hydraulic valves, but it is that significant, or we aren't smart enought to have a self adjusting system? Same with the TBS...Why can't they be built to self adjust??

Honestly, some of these guys are nearly disassembling their frigging bikes almost yearly to perform all the bullshit bearing checks, torque checks, greasing, inspecting, whatever. If I had do to all that crap to my truck, I wouldn't have bought it. I just don't get why these things are so goddammed delicate. It's bullshit.

Crabs?!! :)

christmas-crabs.jpg

Yes I have everything you need to resync the throttle bodies on the fuel injection system. Send me a PM and we can get together on Saturday morning if you like here in East Hartford.

Way to take the high road Dean!

I read my post your right I deserve it all don't know what I was thinking.
Pat - Whenever you want to post anything here type it, walk away for a while and then come back and re-read it before you post it. There are a whole lot of asshats here that just lurk waiting to pounce on someone for an even slightly "off" statement". Especially on friday!(where is that popcorn icon?....)