Hyperlites - How to install them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase Hyperlites - Brake only for 2007 FJR. I have the Yamaha service manual, but it would help me if someone can tell me which wires go where.

I have looked on this forum and most of the posts talk about how good the lights are, but not how to install them.

I'm looking to purchase Hyperlites - Brake only for 2007 FJR. I have the Yamaha service manual, but it would help me if someone can tell me which wires go where.

I have looked on this forum and most of the posts talk about how good the lights are, but not how to install them.
I just installed a set of LED flashing brake lights on my 05 FJR last weekend. Not sure if they're what you have, or if the wires are the same color, but here's what I can tell you.

Red wire (hyperlight): brake light wire. On my FJR this is the yellow wire coming out of the tail light. Connect these two together, it doesn't matter if you use the left or the right, both are yellow on the FJR, and they're on the same circuit.

Black wire (hyperlight): ground source. You can tap into the ground coming off the tail light or a suitable screw... I used the screw that is right next to the key actuated clamping mechanism that holds the seat down.

Grey wire (hyperlight): 12v. power source. I hooked this to the wire that powers the running light.

Each brake light has 3 wires, brake, running, and ground. These are the wires I'm referring to. Brake is yellow, I forget the color of the running light wire. Looking at the tail lights, there are three wires coming out of each. As you know, each bulb has two contacts, and the shell of the bulb is the ground. The socket into which it fits is the ground as well. The outer shell is the ground, and you can see which wire connects to this outer shell buy just looking at it from under the seat. This is the ground.

Hope that helps... if indeed your wires for the hyper lights are the same color as mine.

Gary

darksider #44

They come with great directions. I just installed a set and it was easy-peasy.

I'd recommend that you install them with a quick-disconnect under your seat. That way, if you get pulled over for blinky lights (the police here in MN consider them illegal) then you can quickly turn them off. I also like to disconnect them when I am taking MC classes so as to not irritate/distract whomever is behind me.

But, I dont have the flashing kit, just the regular kit (on and off).

I'd recommend that you install them with a quick-disconnect under your seat. That way, if you get pulled over for blinky lights (the police here in MN consider them illegal) then you can quickly turn them off. I also like to disconnect them when I am taking MC classes so as to not irritate/distract whomever is behind me.

Well, I hope to get my kit on Saturday, but this is what it looks like under the seat.

c44a74ee.jpg

So, the plan is:

Red Wire (Hyperlight) to Yellow on FJR

Black Wire (Hyperlight) to Black Wire on FJR

Grey Wire (Hyperlight) to Blue on FJR

Well, I hope to get my kit on Saturday, but this is what it looks like under the seat.

c44a74ee.jpg

So, the plan is:

Red Wire (Hyperlight) to Yellow on FJR

Black Wire (Hyperlight) to Black Wire on FJR

Grey Wire (Hyperlight) to Blue on FJR
For what its worth, I pulled the bulb out, slit the black sheath on the right tail light about 3 inches, pulled the wires out a bit, tapped the blue and yellow one, ran the ground off to the frame, and it was done.

Gary

darksider #44

They come with great directions. I just installed a set and it was easy-peasy.
Gunny

And...

even if you've lost the directions, I believe their website has the generic wiring colors ea mfg uses. Once you've installed one set, it's pretty easy to do ea and every one you do afterwards, even years later.

This is a link to the page mentioned above

On the fjr, I connected them right at one of the rear bulb brake lights. It's not too bad to do, but you need to take the bulb out of the socket to give your fingers the room they need. I found it a lot easier to do on the Versys, more room is it basically.

On a side note, the "posi-taps" that come with the hyper lites was my first experience with them, they can be ordered from their website

https://www.posi-lock.com/posilock.html

while autozone sometimes has the posi-locks, the posi-taps can be hard to find anywhere but the site, and they really work awesome, no fuss, no muss.

I don't have experience with Hyperlights, but I have a similar product:

https://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml

High conspicuity -- brighter than the OEM brake lights.

One of the nice features of the P3 lights is their programability. You can change the flashing pattern without removing the seat! So if you go from one jurisdiction to another you can turn off the flasher and then turn it back on -- without even getting off the bike. They even have an "emergency flasher" mode which is really nice in a pinch.

The instructions are easy to follow, less than an hour from start to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

https://www.lights.sk..._Features.shtml

One of the nice features of the P3 lights is their programability. You can change the flashing pattern without removing the seat! So if you go from one jurisdiction to another you can turn off the flasher and then turn it back on -- without even getting off the bike. They even have an "emergency flasher" mode which is really nice in a pinch.

that's great info bg. thnx

but I have to ask... is anyone having a problem going from one jurisdiction to another? anyone?

This is important... we don't want to leave anyone with the impression that here it's okay and there it's not.

That would be incorrect. It's just like headlight modulators. It doesn't matter if your local cop doesn't realize it... but there is a FEDERAL law that SUPERSEDES all local laws... making them legal in every STATE IN THE UNION... get it?

carry a copy of the federal law with you (it's easily found with a google search) show it do the dim witted cop that stops you... be on you way...

The IQ-160 Controller looks interesting. Thanks for posting this.

The IQ-160 Controller looks interesting. Thanks for posting this.
I've been running them for about 5-6 years.

No, I've never had a problem with John Law, and I've never needed to change the flashing pattern or use the emergency flashers -- yet.

I've also never needed the uninsured motorist coverage on my vehicle insurance. And I've never had a run-flat tire lose air. But it's one less thing to think/worry/obsess about - and I can be really good at that!

That would be incorrect. It's just like headlight modulators. It doesn't matter if your local cop doesn't realize it... but there is a FEDERAL law that SUPERSEDES all local laws... making them legal in every STATE IN THE UNION... get it?

carry a copy of the federal law with you (it's easily found with a google search) show it do the dim witted cop that stops you... be on you way...
My googling abilities must be sub par as I couldn't find it.

I got the today, after lunch I will try to install it.

I will take pictures along the way and post them. I think I will post the 2X16 LED's under the existing rear brake lights.