aerostich guy;s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
finely sold enought hot dogs off the old, Weiner Wagon to afford an Aerostich suit .Now the big question...one piece or two?? here's the thing, I 'am ,for lack of a better term , "Portly " 199.lbs @ 5'7 and have a 28" inseam so Iam worried about fit . what do you think?? Larry.

I am 205 and 5'10". I have a one-piece Roadcrafter. I have to admint, it's a bit snug for me, but Aerostich can add gussets and such where needed to make the fit a bit more comfortable. They replaced the main zipper for me without charge when one of the ends came off of it, so on that one experience, I rate their customer service top notch. I got it years ago before I had my own bike, so it doesn't have a ton of miles on it, but I don't think you can beat it for protection. My confession is that I don't wear it much these days, since I got new Olympia two-piece gear. If I had it to do over again, I'd go for the two-piece 'Stich for the sheer convenience of being able to take the jacket off at stops without having to wrestle out of the thing.

I have the 1-pc and would recommend it merely because it is easier to get out of than a 2-pc. I have friends with 1 and 2 peice suits and us one-piecer's are consistently in/out of our suits before the two-piecer's can get their pants off. Or they are stuck waddling around in their pants while I'm traipsing around unencumbered.

You will, however, have more flexibility with a 2-pc than a 1-pc, if that works better for your body shape.

One piece. ATGATT. I can't count how many guys I see with the upper jacket on and then just jeans. What good is that? The one piece is a no-brainer to put on. No real drawbacks, and yes, they can put inserts in to allow the right fit. And their customer service is excellent

Have owned my two-piece since '96 and overall have been very happy with it. Being able to add the ellipse is a nice option should you find yourself on a more forward-leaning ride. However, while I can't speak about the one-piece, I would have to imagine that has to be easier to get in and out of than the two due to the design of the zippers on the bottom half. I was able to make things easier in that regard though by recently adding the bib option to the pants, allowing me to slip only the jacket off whenever I want. Gives a little more ease of movement too although I've wondered if I'd be compromising anything in a get-off. (That said, I guess I should also admit to riding with just the jacket on more than one occassion.)

An Aerostich of either kind is on my wish list, & because it's a major investment (and you're within a relatively short distance from Duluth, MN ;) ), I recommend taking a road trip up to get custom fitted. That way you eliminate any problems, plus you'll see some beautiful country.

I've had a 2 piece Roadcrafter for 7 years and have only ridden without the pants one time. Having said that, if I were to purchase one again, I'd lean heavily toward the 1 piece, simply for ease of donning and removing. With any *ahem* body shape concerns, the 2 piece might be a bit better as the jacket overlaps the pants and would be less form fitting than the 1 piece. With either version, you'll be getting a quality and long lasting riding suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
An Aerostich of either kind is on my wish list, & because it's a major investment (and you're within a relatively short distance from Duluth, MN ;) ), I recommend taking a road trip up to get custom fitted. That way you eliminate any problems, plus you'll see some beautiful country.

Got to agree with Gramps, ride there.

The Aerostich warehouse has racks full of suits for you to try for sizing plus if you ride in they give you a 10% discount on any thing you buy.

I've had two Roadcrafters (different sizes with different modifications) and I didn't ride more than 100 miles in either one. I just couldn't get a good fit, mostly in the shoulders where the shoulder armor/material dug into the outside of my upper arms. Removing the armor did not help; it was actually the material that was the probablem. And in my opinion, Aerostitch is not the best protection, Motoport is. However, the one piece of the Roadcrafter is very easy to put on and take off. That is the only advantage I can think of to the Roadcrafter. If you go two piece, buy the best equipment and purchase a Motoport jacket and pants.

I've had a 1-pce since 98, and wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe another 1-pce). I'm with BwanaDik on this, too easy to leave the pants in the garage if you're just going for a short trip - that's not an option with a 1-pce.

As a wise person once told me: "Ya gotta save yer ass man - that's where the skin grafts come from!" ;)

Griff

I have been using a 1 piece roadcrafter for about 5 years now and I wouldn't trade it for any other riding gear made. Before I bought the RC suit I used two piece leather riding gear and tried two piece textile stuff and it was ok, but I love just wearing shorts and tee shirt under my stich in the summer then you get to a stopping place and just take the stich off and your nice and comfy. Or layer up with heated gear under it in the colder times of the year. I keep mine laundered and spray it with water proofing every season and it keeps my nice and dry if it starts to rain. It has pretty decent ventilation if it gets really warm. I will be riding with a stich for as long as I can ride a motorcycle.

When I purchased my first Roadcrafter in 1996, I rode up to Duluth to try them on first. Ultimately, I purchased a 48S One-Piece suit because it just felt more comfortable than a Two-Piece... AT THAT TIME.

However, two years ago, I replaced the old One-Piece with a Two-Piece because........ I wanted a Hi-Viz Yellow jacket with Black pants. Also, I now needed a 46S jacket and 42 pants.

I have never ridden with the jacket and not the pants but... it is nice to be able to completely remove the jacket when I'm in a restaurant and it's nice to just wear the jacket with jeans when I'm not riding the bike.

The convenience of mixing or matching colors, mixing or matching sizes, removing the jacket or pants separately will always keep me wearing a Two-Piece Roadcrafter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went the other direction. I had a one-piece Stich and got rid of it for two-piece leathers. I also like to wear shorts and a t-shirt under it but then when you're out on a ride and want to stop for lunch you remove the Stich and your wearing boots and shorts. I'm not the best looking guy to start with and that combination didn't help. I will say that on the bike, nothing beat it. I rode sportier machines at the time and went with the forward rotated sleeves and ellipse which really help make it more comfortable to reach the bars.

It was just too much of a hassle off the bike to suit me. Two piece Dainese and carry a rain suit.

I have a two-piece RC and like a few others have said, it's a great suit. I have to admit that I got the 2-piece because at the time, I felt that it looked less dorky than the one piece. But over the years I have appreciated the ability to take off the jacket and leave the pants on so as not to freak out people at restaurants or gas stations with the LD Comfort Shorts I usually wear under the RC! At least that's what my wife tells me!

6863976890_3f97af7c1b_d.jpg

Now that is a classy looking outfit, am I right?

I can see where the the one-piece is marginally easier to put on and take off with the single zipper from ankle to neck. But the 2-piece has to be the second fastest suit to get on and off.

Spent some time with Wayne Boyer of Motoport at WeSTOC in Nelson last summer where he went off on Aerostich, and how it's merely the best of a bad lot and nothing, but nothing compares to the mighty Kevlar Motoport gear. Nearly turned me off of the whole Motoport story, because for every testimonial for Motoport there is one for Aerostich too. They have good gear no doubt, but I still like and prefer the look and feel of the Aerostich.

I did buy a pair of Motoport kevlar summer gloves and they are excellent gloves!

All this being said, though, just like with tires, oil, bikes, Gen I vs Gen II, and a whole bunch of other stuff - to each their own, and YMMV.

Just my opinion!

Ian

I went through same debate in 1996. Went for two piece and very happy. Bought jacket one size bigger than regular suit size so I could easily layer and add back protector.Pants were my regular size.

Can be zipped together to use as a one piece and I bought ellipse for when I do that. In colder weather, I use the overall converter. After 12 years of usage had them add gussets in jacket to deal with a slight(?) weight gain. I sometimes use the jacket with leather riding pants, instead of Aerostich RC pants. Aerostich is not the most stylish, perhaps, but the workmanship is great (not a stitch out of place). Customer service is the best.

Two piece gives you many options. YMMV.

I wear a Revit 2 piece suit when I'm riding for fun. I wear a one piece Aerostitch over street clothes when I'm commuting to work. I bought the Stitch' in 1994 and it's still taking care of me.

Bob

I will echo Gramps comment and tell you to go to Aerostich. C'mon, when is the last time you rode to an international shipping port? Take a run up the shore while you are there. If not, you will still find great customer service and they are very used to taking a suit back because you need a different size. One time I was there, a couple of German riders came in on thier cross country trip. They were dressed in full custom leathers and couldn't take it anymore.; They both left in new Roadcrafters and Aerostich shipped their leathers back to Germany for them.

If you do go, you will be able to get just what you want, and 10% off also. Even if they have to make a suit just for you, and ship it later, you will get that 10% off. Their "showroom" is not fancy, but down to earth, just like the rest of the company.

I have been riding in an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants for many years. It has always worked great for me and I can say with experience now, that I can't imagine owning anything else. There are many nice, textile outfits out there. Many are quite worthy. But my 'stich stuff has worked so incredibly well for me, I am a believer. Dry through many full day trips in the rain. Able to trancend any weather and condition. And if I only had a nickle for everytiime I heard "mommy! A fireman!"

I battled with the Roadcrafter/Darien question quite a bit when I initially got into it. I ended up with the Darien because I didn't want a lined jacket and I liked the added length. I also wanted the option to ride with just the jacket. That is funny to me now, as I never ride with just the jacket (ATTGAT guy hardcore) I have owned 2 pairs of the Darien pants and 2 Darien jackets. None are worn out. I only got an additional jacket because I wanted my Hiviz yellow to be brighter again. There is over 100k miles on the first jacket with nothing really wrong but a bit of fade to the color.

Enjoy the decision making.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

I've been riding with a Darien suit for 6 years. Over the past couple years I've lost about 20 pounds so last year I thought about replacing the suit with new Darien, or RC, gear. The one-piece Roadcrafter will not fit my body. At 6' tall, I've only got a 29" inseam, and even with in-store fitting (I'm only a couple hours ride time away) we determined that for me, I'd need a 2-piece Roadcrafter or substantial "remodeling" of a one-piece. I was able to be fitted for a 2-piece RC, but the more tailored fit of the RC vs. the "loose" fit of the Darien was a bit too much for me. So I passed on the RC entirely. My current Darien still works, but is a bit baggier than when new. But I cinch up the velcro straps on the jacket and snug up the belt of the pants and it still works. And the now slightly over-sized jacket allows for plenty of cold weather layers.

So, if you are taller in the upper body and shorter in the legs, you might have an issue with the one-piece RC, but you'll have success with the 2-piece RC or a Darien suit. Aerostich customer service is wonderful, a phone call to them will help a lot. Or take a ride in to Duluth and get in-person service. The 10% in-store savings (and no clothing sales tax in MN) will help pay for a good part of your trip gas. Heck, you could even incorporate a near full-circle trip of Lake Superior if you plan it right.

I've had several two-piece Roadcrafters and also have a Darien set.

I have never worn just the Roadcrafter jacket without the pants - the notion that you're better off with a one-piece because you "won't be tempted" to wear just the jacket seems silly to me. You're either an ATGATT type or not. The two-piece gives you the option to wear the bib converter, which makes for a warmer winter package than the suit alone. There is also anecdotal evidence that the two-piece is less likely to leak than the one-piece.

BUT - the one thing that no one has mentioned is that if you go with the two-piece, you can have different colors for the jacket and pants! Yes, fashionistas, it's true (or at least it was when I bought my last Roadcrafter). My jacket is hi-viz with gray ballistics and the pants are gray/gray. You could go with a red jacket with black ballistics and black/black pants.

So ponder that additional bit of Aerostich complexity and whether it might fit your style or not.

I would add that I actually find myself wearing the Darien jacket and pants more than I wear the Roadcrafter these days. You can mix and match the Darien jacket with Darien pants or other pants (I have a couple pairs of BMW pants that see a lot of use). The Darien outfit has proven to be more waterproof than the Roadcrafter, is cooler in the summer and can be layered up to be warmer in the winter. Take a ride up to Duluth and try on some different stuff. I love the Roadcrafter, but more and more find myself reaching for the Darien when I go riding.