Tiny Screws Popped Out of my Side Bag Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majicmaker

Reaction score
After 5 Years, 7 Months and 19 Days, All of a Sudden my Key kept spinning and nothing happened. Come to find out the two little screws where gone! The Locktite must have stopped working. :unsure:

Anybody know the Part Numbers for those things? Or is this something I can get at Home Depot for $.25 instead of $25 at Yamaha? :lol:

Go get some drywall screws and drive 'em in with some power tools. Make sure everything's nice and clean and shiny first. :p

Actually, I have no idea what the thread size is on those, but anything that fits will do. They're not, um, majic.

After 5 Years, 7 Months and 19 Days, All of a Sudden my Key kept spinning and nothing happened. Come to find out the two little screws where gone! The Locktite must have stopped working. :unsure:

Anybody know the Part Numbers for those things? Or is this something I can get at Home Depot for $.25 instead of $25 at Yamaha? :lol:
Take a screw out of the other bag and go to a hardware store. I would get phillips head screws for replacments and be sure to use locktite.

Tsk, tsk! How long have you been on this forum? How many times have you read about the warnings to loc-tite those little boogers?

All I can say is better you than me!

:jester:

I don't think there is a part # for those. Remove another and head to you nearst hardware store, or specialty nut/bolt store.

And use loc-tite when you put them back in!

Go get some drywall screws and drive 'em in with some power tools. Make sure everything's nice and clean and shiny first. :p

Actually, I have no idea what the thread size is on those, but anything that fits will do. They're not, um, majic.
That is what I figured. Just wanted to check with the Gurus of all things Miscellaneous! I thought about just taking one off of the other side and go Hunting in Loews or Home Depot. Thanks! :)

I'll go ahead and ignore the thinly vailed attempt to mock my wanting to keep my bike showroom ready all the time. ;)

Remember, it's not a Vile and Disgusting Act when you are Actually trying to REMOVE the Dirt! You should try it sometime. It's Called SOAP!!!

It WILL NOT harm your skin! Your bike is going to snap one day and take off on its own and show up in someone's front door that WILL wash it! :p

Take a screw out of the other bag and go to a hardware store. I would get phillips head screws for replacments and be sure to use locktite.
My thoughts Exactly!! Thanks :)

Tsk, tsk! How long have you been on this forum? How many times have you read about the warnings to loc-tite those little boogers?

I don't think there is a part # for those. Remove another and head to you nearst hardware store, or specialty nut/bolt store.

The Locktite must have died! I put plenty of it on when I got her home. I'm a former airplane mechanic, NOTHING got installed without Locktite! Thanks for the info on the No P/N. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

The Locktite must have died! I put plenty of it on when I got her home. I'm a former airplane mechanic, NOTHING got installed without Locktite! Thanks for the info on the No P/N. :p
Well shit, remind me never to fly on a plane you have worked on! You didn't work on that F-18 that had 'issues' in Virginia yesterday, did you? :eek:

:p

Well shit, remind me never to fly on a plane you have worked on! You didn't work on that F-18 that had 'issues' in Virginia yesterday, did you? :eek:

:p
No I didn't. They were just coming into service when I left the Navy. I was in the world of the A7E. You had to reenlist for 6 years to get into the F-18's. I said the Hell with that! I took my NDT training and said: GOOD BYE!! Best decision I ever made! :) Oh! By the way! Haven't lost one yet! :p

I went with phillips head stainless for the replacements, IIRC the size is M3 X 7. They'll be easier to find at your local hardware store, [Do It Best, Ace?] rather than the big box stores.

--G

If you strike out at the hardware store, go to your local hobby shop. RC cars use screws that size and they often have stainless steel hardware.

If you strike out at the hardware store, go to your local hobby shop. RC cars use screws that size and they often have stainless steel hardware.
Damn good idea! There's an RC Hobby Shop next door to the place I eat lunch in every day by the airport. I'll hit that first. :D

The Locktite must have died! I put plenty of it on when I got her home
ya not supposed to spray the threads first with wd40 for easy insert, Mr Air Farce equipment mechanic (or was it Navy tic tich)
Oh! That's been my problem. I thought you were supposed to WD40 them first!....... NOT!!!! :lol: We in the Navy knew better!! Not that there's anything wrong with the Air Force! I'm OK with every bodies chosen Lifestyles! :rolleyes:

Loc-tite is a solvent and solvents attack polycarbonate plastic and causes cracking. Bad stuff.

"The stress-cracking of polycarbonate by a gaseous or liquid agent results from the diffusion of this agent into the polymer. The low molecular weight polymer fractions and the chain ends within the bulk of the polymer become more ordered during the diffusion and swelling process by their partial solubility in the crazing agent, causing crystallization. The creation of interfaces at areas of order-disorder causes high shearing forces at this boundary and voids within the bulk of the polymer. These voids are then propagated as crazes or cracks at stresses much lower than the tensile strength of the polymer. Therefore, a stress-cracking agent need not diffuse rapidly, but must be an effective environment for swelling and/or crystallization. Data from diffusion, density, thermal and molecular analyses are presented to support this mechanism."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pen.760110202/abstract

So, I'm standing in my garage, drinking a beer, reading this thread, turn around, pop open the latch and find the latch loose, I had checked these screws a while back, so, redoped them with loctite and finished my beer, total time, 5 minutes, another stressful chore completed, my wife fails to recognize all the hard work puttering around involves. Gotta get another cold beer.

FWFE