Complete new bodywork for 2003 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireatr

Reaction score
I had a car in my lane in the Mtns here and they bumped me down the road a spell, into a Guard rail no less. I'm toying with the decision to either rebuild the bike or sell it as salvage. It seems to run okay, but the downside to dropping a lot of money into the full set of plastics, except one side bag is the mileage on the bike @ 138,000. It's no longer my main ride, but it's good for running to the store, trips, and cold weather riding.

Has anyone replaced the plastics with something less full faired or is there an after market set of cheaper plastics to be found? As it stands now, 2 side panels, the entire front cowl, and one bag require replacing. OEM is likely arond $1500 for all of this, close? Anyone jnow a good site for OEM parts?

TIA,

Ken

I had a car in my lane in the Mtns here and they bumped me down the road a spell, into a Guard rail no less. I'm toying with the decision to either rebuild the bike or sell it as salvage. It seems to run okay, but the downside to dropping a lot of money into the full set of plastics, except one side bag is the mileage on the bike @ 138,000. It's no longer my main ride, but it's good for running to the store, trips, and cold weather riding.

Has anyone replaced the plastics with something less full faired or is there an after market set of cheaper plastics to be found? As it stands now, 2 side panels, the entire front cowl, and one bag require replacing. OEM is likely arond $1500 for all of this, close? Anyone jnow a good site for OEM parts?

TIA,

Ken
If that were to happen to my bike, and I was in the same position as you (high mileage, not your primary bike); I'd go completely naked with it. Naked bike that is.

Couple of yrs back, Motorcyclist magazine had a picture of an ST1300 some guy picked up out of salvage. He converted it to completely void of any plastic and boy howdy did it ever look sharp.

Granted having all that plastic up front is great for breaking the wind, but perhaps your primary ride takes care of all that now. As I said, I think that is something I'd consider on my bike. The FJR is just too good of a bike to let go. Plastic or no plastic.

BTW....glad to see you survived the assualt by the less-than-perceptive cager. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If that were to happen to my bike, and I was in the same position as you (high mileage, not your primary bike); I'd go completely naked with it. Naked bike that is.

Uhhhh....... the FJR is not a particularly attractive bike naked. Kind like Beemerdons.

picture010aku1.jpg

picture037adu4.jpg

picture181avp3.jpg

I have seen complete replacement fairng "kit". Check e-bay. If I find it I'll post up. Good luck, gotta keep those 03's on the road. ;)

Canadian FJR
There are some options on ebay but I have not heard any reports about fit and finish. A few color choices but you would have to paint your tank to match. $342 + $228 shipping.

Ebay fairing kit

If you look closely at the auction description you'll see this:

"Paint Job: Same as listing picture's design, custom paint job accepted"

For the low price it might be worth it to ask them if they can just do the 2003 silver at their factory instead. Even if the parts were to require a little bit of help for fitment on the bike, it would still be a no-brainer IMHO if the choice is to either go cheap or toss the bike...

An alternative would be to have our forum paint expert quote you a repaint of these panels to the 2003 silver.

On the other hand the red and silver might look great with the stock tank and the stock bag color.

All you would have left at that point is to get a replacement for the bad side case, should not be impossible.

Good luck and glad you made it ok through this yourself!

Listen, everybody here has got a regular FJR. Well, not Patriot, but the rest of us do. This is your chance to break out of the box and turn your bike into something. . . different!

Rip off all the old plastic and start fresh. Make it into an Art Bike! You're limited only by your imagination. Plus you could take it to Burning Man next year and ride it around. Cool.

82_fishbike.jpg

Thanks for the well wishes. I have a nekkid bike (Tuono) so the no bodywork option doesn't appeal to me,PLUS the reason I keep a hold of her is cold weather riding, so I'd sure like that windshield back in working order. I did like the red/silver multi color scheme I saw on E bay, since Yamaha never did do the FJR in that beautiful R1 red from a few years ago. 4 weeks until I can ride again....waiting.

Listen, everybody here has got a regular FJR. Well, not Patriot, but the rest of us do. This is your chance to break out of the box and turn your bike into something. . . different!

Rip off all the old plastic and start fresh. Make it into an Art Bike! You're limited only by your imagination. Plus you could take it to Burning Man next year and ride it around. Cool.

82_fishbike.jpg
haha my wife and daughter have been to Burning man before. I heard " 110 degrees everyday and lots of naked people. 'nuff said to sway me against going :) Seriously, I would like to go someday. It does sound interesting, though I believe the original concept has become lost and it's become a big party zone. I think the year MTV showed up was the beginning of the end.

Naked with windshield: :p

DSC_4419.jpg

DSC_4418.jpg

(I rode it like that for a few days when I was having starter troubles, made the electrics more accessible. Quite unattractive.)

If there is concern about fitment you may try contacting LeeDavis. I'm pretty sure that awhile back I remember him mentioning buying the Ebay panels. He may be willing to offer advice about them.

"There are some options on ebay but I have not heard any reports about fit and finish. A few color choices but you would have to paint your tank to match. $342 + $228 shipping."

Thanks for finding the link Ross.

Tireatr, good luck with the repairs. Please post some pics once complete.

Canadian FJR

Latest posts