Throttle spring tension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou D

Reaction score
Hi all, I read the great posts on the throttle spring unwind so the throttle is easier on the right hand. Are there any negatives or should I just go ahead and do it. I`m, going on a long ried to Ohio and the 555. Thanks, Lou D

Hi all, I read the great posts on the throttle spring unwind so the throttle is easier on the right hand. Are there any negatives or should I just go ahead and do it. I`m, going on a long ried to Ohio and the 555. Thanks, Lou D
Hi Lou,

You'll find all kinds of opinions on this topic. Lots of people do the unwind thing and it seems to work well for them, while others aren't bothered by the tension or see it as the height of folly to mess with a critical safely item. I'm in the latter camp.

For myself, I think its crucial on any long trip to have some kind of throttle holding device to allow you to rest your right hand, whether it's a throttle rocker/cramp buster, a vista-cruise, or even a throttlemeister (a.k.a. "ergonomics aren't us" ;) ). Even if you have an installed and working electronic cruise control, a throttle holding device is handy to give you a couple of seconds respite in the twistys, or while riding in formation, or as a backup to the cruise control.

As far as some negatives or issues for the throttle spring unwind:

1. A rare, few folks have inadvertently found the spring didn't unwind only a single turn, leaving the throttle too slow in closing or not closing completely and automatically.
  2. The unwind had already been done by a prior owner (similar effect as 1)
  3. It seemed to work fine until some later addition to the throttle system uncovered an issue (for instance, on installation of an electronic cruise control).

Now all that said, this is a reversible operation, though rewinding might be a bit of a PITA. So experiment if you like, else what is Life for? But some of us really like boring in some areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the throttle spring unwind to my bike and don't regret it one bit. I was reasonably sure that it had not been done before as the original owner had the dealer do all maintenance (including farkle additions). The unwind process can be rather alarming as it unwinds very fast and you'll feel like it went too much. In the end, all was fine with mine. After the unwind, I then adjusted the throttle cable via the adjuster up by the grip, making sure there wasn't too much slack. The throttle snaps back as it should. The difference was noticeable to me, but I think this procedure is a relatively subjective one and may not apply to all who try it.

The triple nickle. Thats a nice ride. Been a couple years since I have been on it. Not sure why. It damn near in my backyard. Not sure how the pavemnet is now. The State has been using a chip seal coating on some of its highways. Not sure if this is one of them or not. If it is be carful. It is like riding on pea gravel. Be safe. .

Ummm... I unwound mine 30 or 40 thousand miles ago. I forget it was ever done until someone mentions it. No regrets here.

did the unwind on my '06 when I first got it..then I realized that it had been previously done as the throttle wouldn't close all the way.. As NightShine pointed out it was a bitch to undo..

Just don't do like I did, located the main throttle spring, got tools ready and proper lighting, had a few "barley pops" while doing so and then proceeded to un-wind the wrong spring. :huh: It was tough to put back on let me tell you :dribble: But did and then did the correct spring :yahoo: the best and cheapest mod I have done to the bike ever! :clapping: I can't belive it took me a while to do it.

The triple nickle. Thats a nice ride. Been a couple years since I have been on it. Not sure why. It damn near in my backyard. Not sure how the pavemnet is now. The State has been using a chip seal coating on some of its highways. Not sure if this is one of them or not. If it is be carful. It is like riding on pea gravel. Be safe. .
I was on the 555 about 3 weeks ago, pavement is broken up quite a bit and lots of gravel and debris. Scared the crap out of myself a couple of times and would not recommend it at this time, maybe later in the year when the winter stuff is washed away.

Hi all, I did the spring unwind and it came out great. At first, the throttle seemed to hang up a little but after spraying some WD40 between the grip and the bar, it now feels great. Thanks again. Lou D

Hi all, I did the spring unwind and it came out great. At first, the throttle seemed to hang up a little but after spraying some WD40 between the grip and the bar, it now feels great. Thanks again. Lou D
After my 500 miler this weekend, I am def going to do the unwind. Not sure if this is part of the abrupt throttle problem but I can see how it could contribute. My bike also has the G2 installed.

Just to add - I have troublesome wrists and find the stock throttle far too stiff. I haven't unwound the spring but bought a cramp buster for a few pennies. It gives far greater leverage on the throttle in normal riding and means you can rest your wrist on longer ones too.

So my advice would be get one of those and try it first. Cheap, no messing with the bike, and unclips if you dont like it.

The throttle tension was killing me wrist, too, when I got my 2008 a year ago April. I read all the threads about unwinding the throttle spring and figured I'd give it a try. I decided to completely ignore the advice about anchoring a wire onto the spring just in case you don't like the results of the unwind. Boy, did I regret that!

I started with a single-turn unwind, which helped some but not enough. Next, I did a complete unwind and that really helped. I was dumb, fat, and happy.

This season I decided to add an MC cruise control. The install went pretty well but the test drive was not good. Even with the cruise off, the throttle would not return to idle when I let off the gas. In fact, at higher rpms I was getting a 1k rpm surge when I pulled in the clutch. I tweaked, re-tweaked, lubed, re-lubed, TBS'd and re-TBS'd, adjusted the idle and re-adjusted the idle. Nothing helped.

Finally, I accepted the fact that I had to reconnect that damn throttle spring. Major pain in the ass. Major. I tried coaxing it around with a couple of forceps. Not happening. Then I tried a tie wrap with a hole drilled into it. No dice. After hours of trying, I managed to get a one-turn rewind using a heavy guage wire with a fishing lure snap on the end. Just about cried when the spring hook cinched onto the pully tab just pretty as you please.

Now the bike returns to idle like it should, no rpm surge, and the cruise control works just fine. I did also add a G2, which in combination with the BMW grips seems to be OK with my wrist. But I gotta tell ya, that unwound throttle spring turned the cruise control install into a frickin' nightmare!

BigChunk

I had the same problem. As was installing my new Audiovox CCS100 for the third time this weekend (that is a whole different story) I did the throttle unwind thing as suggested in one of the threads. The unwind seems to be nice while not using the cruise as the deceleration is a little slower and you can coast a bit more like in a car. The issue arises when you are using the cruise is, and you turn it off manually or with the brake the bike continues at the set speed for quite a while. It could actually be dangerous. The cruise itself could cause a person to get a little complacent, but then with the bike still throttling forward...well I will just say it is not for me.

I aslo tried a few different techniques to rewind the throttle. Wires and/or twine would actually bind up on me and I couldn't pull them back through. My best method was using a piece of plastic almost the width of the opening (aprox1/4") with a small hole in the end of it. I painstakingly threaded it through from the bootom and aound the back then out the top, hooked the spring on and pulled it back through. It came around so easy and I was so happy!!! The throttle "slams" shut once again and I will not do the unwind again...unless I go without the cruise control.

Its kinda funny that sometimes I think I am the only guyt that struggles with some of these DIY modifications. While my blood pressure was rising and I was struggling to rewind the throttle, I decided to check the forum to seek some help. I had never seen the "throttle rewind" header for a thread but I thougth I'd give it a shot. I was so glad to see that I am not the lone ranger. I am so grateful for this forum. I do not chat much, mostly just read all you guys carrying on. With my cruise installation problems and then the throttle "rewind" I have chatted more than ever the last few days. Thanks again and please do not be afraid to post something no matter how simple or silly it may be. I would bet there is someone else out there that will read it and get some help from it, or give you the help needed!

Dale.

I have the same set-up as you have. Cruise and unwind. Mine works like a charm. There are always slight differences between bikes, so it's too bad it didn't work for you perfectly. All in all, the cruise will certainly help you a tremendoes amount. I used a micro toggle switch as the only input source, with the information from Smitty's. God luck this riding season.

Latest posts