New to me FJR - going in for recalls

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERS

Reaction score
Just bought a 2006 FJR1300A with factory trunk with 30,000km. It is scheduled for the ground spider recall and I also convinced Yamaha to do the ECU upgrade. Apparently they will add a sub-lead to the wiring harness. The dealer admits to not having much experience with FJR's as the majority of rides here are cruisers. My question is "Is there anything I should watch out for or do ahead of time to make this a good experience for me and the dealer?"

Just bought a 2006 FJR1300A with factory trunk with 30,000km. It is scheduled for the ground spider recall and I also convinced Yamaha to do the ECU upgrade. Apparently they will add a sub-lead to the wiring harness. The dealer admits to not having much experience with FJR's as the majority of rides here are cruisers. My question is "Is there anything I should watch out for or do ahead of time to make this a good experience for me and the dealer?"
Hi and welcome to the forum from a fellow Maritimer. Has the ignition switch recall been done? Clicky Also, I think there was a recall on the factory trunk for the '06. Make sure you get it all done. Lots of good folks on this forum who will help you out. Other than for recall items, I have managed to stay out of dealer shops for the 80,000 km I've put on my '07 in the last two years. Help from the forum has been invaluable.

I think you will love the bike. I will probably see you on the road.

Hi and welcome to the forum from a fellow Maritimer. Has the ignition switch recall been done? Clicky Also, I think there was a recall on the factory trunk for the '06. Make sure you get it all done. Lots of good folks on this forum who will help you out. Other than for recall items, I have managed to stay out of dealer shops for the 80,000 km I've put on my '07 in the last two years. Help from the forum has been invaluable.

I think you will love the bike. I will probably see you on the road.

The trunk recall and ignition have been done. I actually bought the bike from your area. It came from Hoyt NB and was owned by a female who took good care of it. She had records of every service and recall. She had lowered the bike with adjustable lowering links but had the factory links which I have reinstalled. The height suits me better now and I have added 1" bar risers which take some weight off my wrists.

I also prefer to do my own service as I have been riding a 1984 Yamaha Venture for the last 6 years and that bike was a basket case when I got it. This forum has been a great sourse of information so far.

Thanks

I also had a Venture (2002, 2nd gen) which I rode for about a year and a half. I originally bought it to see if I could get my wife interested in touring but that never happened. Two seasons ago, I bought the FJR (used with less than 20,000 km on it) and haven't looked back. Much to my surprise, I can do a much longer day on the FJR than I ever could on the Venture. Ergos are much better for extended riding times although the initial "road-sofa" comfort of the Venture was pretty good.

Here's some good ideas of things to watch for https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=116913&hl. Mine is post #40 on page 2.

Good thread, my '09 is also getting dropped off today for the ground issue recall. Also a dealership with possible limited FJR experience... looking forward to your experience.

Here's some good ideas of things to watch for https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=116913&hl. Mine is post #40 on page 2.
That is a frigtening array of issues. What is that had been returned to a less mechanically inclined owner (which is why many use dealer service in the first place)? It seems as though the triple clamp bolts alone could have had eventual disasterous results and leave anything else that was touched very suspect. This stuff makes me insane and has me holding my breath on the upcoming service with a dealer/mechanic I know nothing about.

My experience with my dealer... & something to watch for... they put the majority of the plastic that they took off, back on wrong... using fasteners that I can only imagine came from somewhere around the shop.

My experience with my dealer... & something to watch for... they put the majority of the plastic that they took off, back on wrong... using fasteners that I can only imagine came from somewhere around the shop.
That is just one reason why I pull the plastic off before taking my motor into the shop for any work.

The others are:

•  
  • it allows me to easily inspect the job they did and check for loose fasteners
  • reduces the labor charge by them not having to spend time to remove and install the plastic
  • improves my relations with the Mech and Service Manager because they are happy to not to have to lose time dealing with the plastic and worry about it getting damaged while in their shop.

Interesting that the dealers we trust these machines with can be so shoddy. The dealer doing my recalls is under new ownership, They also have a shop in another city here and have a relatively good rep. My bike will probably get in next week when the new ECU arrives.

Thanks for the replies. I hope my experience is better than some of yours have been. This is the first time I have ever had a bike to the dealer except for MVI's.

Rick

I highly advise NOT doing the CPU upgrade. It turned my throttle into an on and off switch. There is no inbetween.

Checked with dealer yesterday and the grounding kit and new ECU were in, I asked if it was OK for me to put them on the bike and they said yes. Put the additional ground harness on, My existing harness didn;t show any damage. The new sub harness connects between the ground connector below the battery and runs to a spider connector on the left front side of the engine. ECU was plug and play except I had to reprogram the keys since we have the coded keys (Immobilizer) in Canada. Good exersise to get familiar with removing panels on the bike etc. Bike runs good with the new ECU seems a bit more controllable at low throttle but that may be just a first impression.

Rick

Interesting that the dealers we trust these machines with can be so shoddy. The dealer doing my recalls is under new ownership, They also have a shop in another city here and have a relatively good rep. My bike will probably get in next week when the new ECU arrives.

Thanks for the replies. I hope my experience is better than some of yours have been. This is the first time I have ever had a bike to the dealer except for MVI's.

Rick
I love my dealer. The do great work, and I trust them to do whatever needs done. Since I started doing my own service, I don't see them as much, but they still take really good care of me. Remember that some people here are very whiny and will complain about anything.