Voltage drop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
I am measuring the voltage drop between the output of the voltage rectifier/regulator, and the positive battery post. I'm doing this because my digital voltmeter reads only 13.6volts when cruising.

I stick a needle into the back of the connector (red wire) that connects to the voltage r/r, and put my positive lead there, and then put my negative lead on the positive battery terminal. What kind of voltage drop should I get between these two points?

As best I can tell, the wire from the r/r goes to the main fuse holder, through that 50 amp fuse, then out and travels rearward along the bottom of the battery cable, where it joins the battery cable immediately before the starter relay. So there should be nothing in the way of connections between the two points that I'm measuring.

So...what should be the voltage drop between these two points?

Howard

I am measuring the voltage drop between the output of the voltage rectifier/regulator, and the positive battery post. I'm doing this because my digital voltmeter reads only 13.6volts when cruising.

I stick a needle into the back of the connector (red wire) that connects to the voltage r/r, and put my positive lead there, and then put my negative lead on the positive battery terminal. What kind of voltage drop should I get between these two points?

As best I can tell, the wire from the r/r goes to the main fuse holder, through that 50 amp fuse, then out and travels rearward along the bottom of the battery cable, where it joins the battery cable immediately before the starter relay. So there should be nothing in the way of connections between the two points that I'm measuring.

Howard
In a perfect world, 0v. If all your connections are clean and solid, you should have no resistance and there fore, no voltage drop.

Owen

The voltage drop will vary with the load. A battery that is drawing current recharging will show a lower post voltage while it at a high amp rate. Most vehicles in the Army and many civilian have a feedback wire that will cause the alternator voltage to rise to cover the voltage drop. With the relatively low currents that flow in the FJR that is probably not the case.

Check your connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the battery is not dead u should have a voltage drop around .1 to.3. If the bat was dead the amps would go up and so would the v drop. Also there is no voltage sense wire on the FJR.

Howard
I'm curious, what voltage drop did you measure?

I am getting a 0.5 volt drop between the output positive pin of the regulator and the battery cable. Isn't this too much of a drop?

anybody else with experience like this?

Waiting to see how this turns out for you, and what you find.

My '10 will not show over 14.01 with all off. I would run 13.90-13.96 regular running.

My RR output was 15.7 I think.

I even put a brand new, freshly charged Moto Batt in it and now it runs 13.86 by the Datel!

So looking to see what you find out on the reverse check, and you next steps.

I think I never needed to install a Datel :)