My Own Bugs!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WitlessEvil

Reaction score
Today I got to put my own bugs on my new to me 04A. A total of 44 miles since I rolled it onto the trailer two weeks ago. The bike now has 2200 miles and some change. :yahoo:

Up until yesterday I had more miles pushing it than I did riding it.

This is my bike:

FJRsm.jpg

My first impressions are that it wasn't a plush ride like I was expecting. Expansion heaves are every bit as harsh as my pregen ninja before the suspension upgrade. Probably going to have to do something about that. It definitely doesn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. Handling seems to be smoother and not quite as quick as the ninja. I originally intended to just go to Cessna parking lot to do some PLP and go straight back home, but wound up doing a lot less PLP than I thought I would need and headed out to some of the back roads. Hung a right out of the parking lot 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear and look at the speedo and I'm doing 75 in a 45. :eek: Power is definitely something you can get used to.

My other touring bike, shown here in front of the FJR:

MyOtherSm.jpg

The ninja is probably closest to the bike I always wanted. People look at me like I am so strange, but I remember when I was a lot younger riding a few very heavy ponderous bikes, then a friend of mine let me ride his 250 enduro. That bike was fun. You could toss that thing around like it was nothing. So easy to ride. I've been enamoured with small bikes since. But, spending more than an hour or so on a 250 is just tiring. Everything is just too hectic if that makes sense. I'll keep the 250 as my grocery getter since it can hold 2 cases of sodas, 3 bags of chips, one big jar of salsa, a block of velveeta, a gallon of chocolate milk, and two boxes of cereal plus all of my regular gear including a rain suit, two pair of gloves, a half a roll of paper towels, a sheet of bubble wrap, a pair of moto goggles, a neck warmer, and an extra pair of safety glasses.

If you see this guy on the road give me a wave and I will give you the best live long and prosper I can muster in my riding gloves.

MeSm.jpg

STeve

An 04 with 2200 miles? I sometimes don't understand how someone can buy a bike like that and let it sit. Sell it or ride it!!! Glad they sold it to you. Nice score!

No kidding nice score. That bike is purty.

On another note, you may want to look up Haulinashe's suspension thread. The bike shouldn't feel harsh. Maybe some adjustment will smooth things out for you.

Watch that throttle hand. It's not hard to get into trouble on these bikes. They're deceptively fast.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
2200 miles!!! :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

I hope you can't shit 'til I say so!

(damn, I need another 04.....grrrr..... :angry2: )

What'll ya take for it???

. . . it can hold 2 cases of sodas, 3 bags of chips, one big jar of salsa, a block of velveeta, a gallon of chocolate milk, and two boxes of cereal , , ,
Please see My link.

And enjoy your new bike too, of course. Care to share your purchase price? Some of the folks like to eat themselves up over other people's good deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
On another note, you may want to look up Haulinashe's suspension thread. The bike shouldn't feel harsh. Maybe some adjustment will smooth things out for you.
Agreed, though not plush with factory pieces these things are pretty smooth.. I bet rear shock spring is wound tighter than 'Howies nutsak .. :eek:

To SacramentoMike: Thanks for the love brother! I know you just want me to live a long healthy life :) I do have a tendency to eat rather poorly. I am actually looking at the link you sent.

I paid $4500 and drove an hour to get it with the trailer. So far I am into it for 4500 for the bike $45 for two gallons of Evapo Rust, $450 for tags, title, and sales tax, and $100 for insurance.

Awesome score!

I just sold a 250 Ninja last fall. How could you possibly tour on the stock seat?!! 45 minutes on that bike and I wanted to ride directly to a hospital.

Replaced it with a CBR250R-ABS. Just for around town use, they're way fun. But I have been entertaining ideas of doing some minimalist touring with it this summer. The seat on it is light years better than the Ninja seat!

Today I got to put my own bugs on my new to me 04A. A total of 44 miles since I rolled it onto the trailer two weeks ago. The bike now has 2200 miles and some change. :yahoo:

Up until yesterday I had more miles pushing it than I did riding it.

This is my bike:

FJRsm.jpg

My first impressions are that it wasn't a plush ride like I was expecting. Expansion heaves are every bit as harsh as my pregen ninja before the suspension upgrade. Probably going to have to do something about that. It definitely doesn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. Handling seems to be smoother and not quite as quick as the ninja. I originally intended to just go to Cessna parking lot to do some PLP and go straight back home, but wound up doing a lot less PLP than I thought I would need and headed out to some of the back roads. Hung a right out of the parking lot 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear and look at the speedo and I'm doing 75 in a 45. :eek: Power is definitely something you can get used to.

My other touring bike, shown here in front of the FJR:

MyOtherSm.jpg

The ninja is probably closest to the bike I always wanted. People look at me like I am so strange, but I remember when I was a lot younger riding a few very heavy ponderous bikes, then a friend of mine let me ride his 250 enduro. That bike was fun. You could toss that thing around like it was nothing. So easy to ride. I've been enamoured with small bikes since. But, spending more than an hour or so on a 250 is just tiring. Everything is just too hectic if that makes sense. I'll keep the 250 as my grocery getter since it can hold 2 cases of sodas, 3 bags of chips, one big jar of salsa, a block of velveeta, a gallon of chocolate milk, and two boxes of cereal plus all of my regular gear including a rain suit, two pair of gloves, a half a roll of paper towels, a sheet of bubble wrap, a pair of moto goggles, a neck warmer, and an extra pair of safety glasses.

If you see this guy on the road give me a wave and I will give you the best live long and prosper I can muster in my riding gloves.

MeSm.jpg

STeve

By far the best deal I've seen on here.......$4.5K is a steal for that low mileage rocket...enjoy (like the Tuff-Shed on the back of the Ninja too... :eek: )