Sport Touring Motorcycle Magazines?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something (please fill me in) I've yet to come across a specific ST motorcycle magazine. Roadrunner is probably the closet I'm aware of but it only hightlights 3 or 4 routes per issue and many of the rides are not on specific ST style bikes.

I'm tired of going to Barnes & Noble wanting to read some specific ST style magazines and seeing 23 issues of Ironhorse HD style bike mags or custom chopper bike mags or a dozen sport bike magazines and virtually nothing for the style of bikes we all ride.

Does such an animal even exist? If not, then why not? We might be a much smaller segment of the overall motorcycle market but I got to believe there's enough of us for there to be at least 1 freaking magazine dedicated to our type of riding and our type of bikes.

Down here we have Ride Texas in both electronic and paper versions. although it seems to feature Harley's, it always has great routes with both ride reports and maps. Really good reading and planning help.

Of the national mags, Rider seems to come closest...

Like this?

SportTourMagTimKreitz.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably because they're out riding. ;)
Or on internet forums... ;)
Touche! :lol:
:p ....... :D

Down here we have Ride Texas in both electronic and paper versions. although it seems to feature Harley's, it always has great routes with both ride reports and maps. Really good reading and planning help.

Of the national mags, Rider seems to come closest...
Yeah "Riders" will have a write up on a new ST bike model...but that's about it. Still not a really what I'm looking for. The ride Texas mag. might be pretty cool for you guys though. More like a local "Roadrunner" mag is sounds like.

Like this?
Well I'm not "old", my glasses are thin not "thick" and I always keep my beard trimmed...so no this is not the mag I was looking for. :blink: ..... :lol:

I can see this thread is going to be a fail. sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see this thread is going to be a fail. sigh.
Bottom line is, motorcycling is a niche market and Sport Touring is far too much of a niche of a niche for publishers to be interested in spending the money to target that group. Sorry.

But if you ever get the money together to start your own Sport Touring magazine, I'll test bikes for you... :)

Atleast you got your answer to your question. Probably market share is the determining factor as this is still a free market system...not worth the publication costs with the likely small advertising revenues.

...But if you ever get the money together to start your own Sport Touring magazine, I'll test bikes for you... :)
Doggoneit, I was gonna offer that first. That HAS to be the best job on the planet....and from I've read, you don't even have to put much thought into what you write.

So my conclusion is that yes we're a niche market but it's plenty big enough for someone in the magazine industry to do at least a bi-monthly magazine dedicated specifically to the ST crowd.

Have you seen all the magazines available for other "niche" markets?

- Vegetarian mag.

- Herb mag.

- Ferrets mag...WTF!!!...I mean seriously!!!

So my conclusion is that yes we're a niche market but it's plenty big enough for someone in the magazine industry to do at least a bi-monthly magazine dedicated specifically to the ST crowd.

Have you seen all the magazines available for other "niche" markets?

- Vegetarian mag.

- Herb mag.

- Ferrets mag...WTF!!!...I mean seriously!!!
+1

As for ST bike tester... That would be a great job, but I am still holding out to be one of the guys who gets paid to paint bikini's on models :dribble:

I agree with those who noted that you have to have a large enough target audience to sustain your business model. S-Touring is a hybrid/tweener market that straddles 2 genres and is served by magazines targeting to those audiences (enough) while the larger (primary) audience keeps the cash flowing.

MCNews is the closest IMO.