Cleaning Radiator Fins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
While washing and waxing the bike I looked through my plastic and spied the radiator.

Well I suds up the front a bunch and then go to the holes in the plastic with the hose and start spraying what I could see and direct water too.

I almost lost my lunch!

I could not believe the dirt that came out! I mean it was yellow and darker in some areas! Now I have 12k on the bike and the first time I did this. Still cannot believe the sediment that settled under the front of the bike!

I will add this to any time I have plastic off as it will give me clear access, and it is worth the effort in my opinion.

Check for yourselves next time you have a hose out to wash the bike. Don't eat first though.

I was blaming my dealer for screwing up my coolant flush as I was seeing different temp bars at running temp. I most always ran 4 steady except stop and go of course. I was seeing mostly 5, but some 4 bar temps after the change, and even after a trip back for a burp.

After the cleaning I am running a solid 4 bars again.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunny!

Definitely well worth the time to clean the radiator fins. After encountering similar issues with my prior '06, a good radiator cleaning and T-Stat change brought things back to normal.

--G

Damn, LAF, if you ain't the worry'n'est (?) poster on this forum.

Just think how dirty the underside of your fenders are!!

RIDE MORE...STRESS LESS!!!

I beg your pardon, my fenders are spotless underneath!

I was just surprised at the heavy sediment that came out. Of course I ride year round here in PA so the cinders, salt, and the anti ice spray on the roads must be hell on collecting in the fins.

Each their own, but for the time it takes, and you see what I did, it will make you a believer.

I mean these bikes are just pure bug magnets on the front end and shield, stands to reason the radiator is catching hell too.

I do stress less, because I know my bike is in good running shape. I got 4500 on in the last 7 weeks so I am riding too!

While washing and waxing the bike I looked through my plastic and spied the radiator.

Well I suds up the front a bunch and then go to the holes in the plastic with the hose and start spraying what I could see and direct water too.

I will add this to any time I have plastic off as it will give me clear access, and it is worth the effort in my opinion.

Check for yourselves next time you have a hose out to wash the bike. Don't eat first though.

I was blaming my dealer for screwing up my coolant flush as I was seeing different temp bars at running temp. I most always ran 4 steady except stop and go of course. I was seeing mostly 5, but some 4 bar temps after the change, and even after a trip back for a burp.

YMMV
I'm having this issue too, I was suspecting the radiator being dirty but didn't seem to be able to clean it completely.

What part of the fairing did you have off? Were you spraying from the inside out or the outside in?

YMMV
I'm having this issue too, I was suspecting the radiator being dirty but didn't seem to be able to clean it completely.

What part of the fairing did you have off? Were you spraying from the inside out or the outside in?
I rarely have the plastic off so, I soak the crap out of it from the front. That's where all the bugs go in. I have a 90 degree water and air nozzle so, I rinse from the back forward. Works Well. :)

I suggest a Fenda Extenda

(Click on image for larger view)

It won't stop crud build-up altogether, but it reduces it considerably.

Gotta go with my Florida Flat-land Freak of a moto-brother on this one.

Let's see.........

226,000 miles on one FJR - never cleaned the radiator.

98,000 on the current FJR - have never cleaned the radiator.

I guess I am missing out all kinds of maintenance I could be stressing out about. Poor me. I mean, I have no freaking clue how much the temperature or pressure of my tires rise once I start riding......

Oh, the horror!

:)

But Wheatie does have a point. I've got lots of forum peeps on my 'Do NOT buy from' list. LAF is now on my 'Definitely DO buy from' list. ;)

Let's see.........

I guess I am missing out all kinds of maintenance I could be stressing out about. Poor me.

But Wheatie does have a point. I've got lots of forum peeps on my 'Do NOT buy from' list. LAF is now on my 'Definitely DO buy from' list. ;)
You are DEFINITELY on the Do Not Buy From list. "Dirty ol' whore" is probably correct. I guess that's what the advantage is of never riding in the rain, always on a nice day, on smooth paved asphalt roads, in a bug free enviroment like AZ. :p

Let's see.........

I guess I am missing out all kinds of maintenance I could be stressing out about. Poor me.

You are DEFINITELY on the Do Not Buy From list. "Dirty ol' whore" is probably correct
Hey! Why do think I rode that poor girl into the ground? What sane person with a just a few working brain cells would have bought that FJR from me?

Sure do miss her though. The current one is just not the same...... :(

...The current one is just not the same...... :(
I'm sorry you're not liking your Gen 1.

I did like my first better, although she was fairly stock...and non-ABS.

I did go on a ride this weekend out to Galena that reminded me of why I like this bike so much. On those lonely curvy roads far from home is where she shines.

Dude, you ain't buyin' a Gen II from NO ONE, no matter how clean it is! :p :p
Good point! Sacrilege! *shudder*

The thought of owning a Gen II gives me chills....... and diarrhea. :p

If I'm buying a used bike... I'm buying from LAF before Radio's.

It will be clean.
You'd be making an excellent choice Wheaton. I have No further comment on the issue of unwashed bikes. Don't wanna start a Food Fight! :unsure: