Ross Nanotechnology's NeverWet superhydrophobic spray-on coating

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I'm gonna put some of that stuff on the kitchen table. Tired of washing the dumb thing every time I eat. I'm such a slob.

Gary

darksider #44

My thoughts are that if this stuff doesn't change a textile material too much (i.e. allowing it to breathe, etc.) then who needs rain gear? The entire Goretex industry would be obsolete. I could just buy a can and spry it over my AGV jacket and pants and I'm good to go in any summer weather. Also, as pointed out, if applied to windshields or as a wax this would keep the bike clear and dry at all times.

I just hope it's not too good to be true or that military applications (i.e. Warship hull applications, torpedo coatings, etc. i.e. allowing no surface tension drag with water) would keep this product out to the public's hands.

Cool stuff...wonder what the price of admission will be??

--G

Looks like it can be used on almost any surface.

Stated on their website "Please note that our NeverWet products are NOT available for Consumers as a Retail product at this time. We expect to have retail spray can products available by mid 2012."

Wouldn't mind trying it on some riding gear once available.

This looks promising. I'm not a materials scientist by any means (but have some chemistry education), but here's what I'm thinking:

Water molecules are of a certain size and Goretex (et. al) works by using pores which are smaller than those molecules.

Cell membranes are a little different - they use hydrophilic (water-hating) molecules such as phosphate to repel water.

I wonder if the NeverWet stuff:

A) bridges the gaps in the substrate (i.e. clothing etc) to the extent that water molecules cannot pass through, or

B) if it coats the substrate with repellent nanoparticles

If A) I would hope that there are still gaps large enough for air to flow through, but I would be concerned about durability, i.e. bending flexing and exposure to high wind may erode it in places.

As for applying it to the bike, I would guess dry dirt and dust and cratered bugs would sit on top of the NeverWet. This could make it very hard to clean if the water can't actually be applied for the cleaning duties, or it could be very easy, if the water can carry away the dirt particles with little or no surface adhesion to fight.

This looks promising. I'm not a materials scientist by any means (but have some chemistry education), but here's what I'm thinking:

Water molecules are of a certain size and Goretex (et. al) works by using pores which are smaller than those molecules.

Cell membranes are a little different - they use hydrophilic (water-hating) molecules such as phosphate to repel water.

I wonder if the NeverWet stuff:

A) bridges the gaps in the substrate (i.e. clothing etc) to the extent that water molecules cannot pass through, or

B) if it coats the substrate with repellent nanoparticles

If A) I would hope that there are still gaps large enough for air to flow through, but I would be concerned about durability, i.e. bending flexing and exposure to high wind may erode it in places.

As for applying it to the bike, I would guess dry dirt and dust and cratered bugs would sit on top of the NeverWet. This could make it very hard to clean if the water can't actually be applied for the cleaning duties, or it could be very easy, if the water can carry away the dirt particles with little or no surface adhesion to fight.