Shoei Qwest or Bell RS-1 ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aasland

Depleted
Reaction score
I am considering the following two helmets:

1. Shoei Qwest

2. Bell RS-1

They both fit, they are both about the same price. According to webbikeworld the RS-1 is quieter, flows more air, and includes a chin curtain, but the visor doesn't seal out rain completely and the Shoei has better ear pocket placement for my head.

Have any of you tried both, and can you comment on noise and ventilation between them?

I know a guy with the Shoei Quest here in MN and he said it fogs up like crazy in cooler weather, even when up to speed. I think he had to quit wearing it.

Check out an HJC FS-15.... if it fits, seriously consider it. Quiet smooth and light.

I am considering the following two helmets:

1. Shoei Qwest

2. Bell RS-1

They both fit, they are both about the same price. According to webbikeworld the RS-1 is quieter, flows more air, and includes a chin curtain, but the visor doesn't seal out rain completely and the Shoei has better ear pocket placement for my head.

Have any of you tried both, and can you comment on noise and ventilation between them?
Have not tried both but have the Qwest. To me, yer way ahead of the game if you've tried on both and know they both fit, cuz fit is the key, top priority.

The Qwest also has a chin guard, and is more quiet than the Arai QII it replaced, and fits better :)

good luck with your decision.

The Shoei fogging issue is easily fixed with the Pinlock shield. Yes, Shoei should come with this out of the box. The Qwest will be my next helmet.

I have the HJC and the Qwest, the HJC is now my in-town short trip helmet. The Qwest is more quiet and hands down more stabile on the highway, my neck no longer gets tired from the helmet motion. It will fog a little in colder temps, which is a credit to the seal of the face shield. I just crack the visor about an 1/8 inch which takes care of the fog issue. If you ride in the cold a lot just get the pin lock shield.

https://www.revzilla.com/product/shoei-shields-cw1-pinlock-shield

(not associated w/revzilla, just used as an example for the pin lock shield)

Never wore the Bell. Recently bought the Qwest for the wife and she really likes it. She commented on how quite the helmet is. It will be my next helmet.

Yesterday I spent some time goofing off and researching helmets and reading all your comments. The Qwest is certainly a nicely regarded helmet, although not without it's detractors. It is still hard to find opinions on the RS-1.

I was actually thinking "get both, sell one" but figured I would try one, and if happy, keep it and be done. I was still on the fence until I found an RS-1 for $199, compared to the $349 Shoei (plus $25 for chin curtain and breath guard). Thus I will try the RS-1 first - it is supposed to be quieter than the Shoei, and if it is quiet enough to replace my Vortex I'll see what I can do about the ear pockets and shield sealing.

I know a guy with the Shoei Quest here in MN and he said it fogs up like crazy in cooler weather, even when up to speed. I think he had to quit wearing it.
I think this will work in the Bell's favor. I've used the Bell Vortex and it's nutrafog and works fine at speed, but I have to crack it open when stopped. The various venting choices on the Vortex (and more on the RS-1) help managing it at speed.

I'm suprised the Shoei doesn't do well in this regard - it has the "city position" which opens the top and bottom a couple mm's. I had a Shuberth C1 years ago which did something similar and it was effective.

Check out an HJC FS-15.... if it fits, seriously consider it. Quiet smooth and light.
With all due respect, I am done with HJC's. I've had several, and in the past they were affordable alternatives to the "big boys". But now there are several more competitors at that price point which eclipse HJC's features, quality and comfort. Besides the retractable sun shield, the Bell's are more quiet, ventilate better, have better faceshields and mechanism, softer liners, and better customer service than HJC's - at similar prices.

The Shoei fogging issue is easily fixed with the Pinlock shield. Yes, Shoei should come with this out of the box. The Qwest will be my next helmet.
I have the HJC and the Qwest, the HJC is now my in-town short trip helmet. The Qwest is more quiet and hands down more stabile on the highway, my neck no longer gets tired from the helmet motion. It will fog a little in colder temps, which is a credit to the seal of the face shield. I just crack the visor about an 1/8 inch which takes care of the fog issue. If you ride in the cold a lot just get the pin lock shield.

https://www.revzilla.com/product/shoei-shields-cw1-pinlock-shield

(not associated w/revzilla, just used as an example for the pin lock shield)
The shield seal is definitely a selling point the Qwest has over the RS-1. The Vortex shield is near perfect and seals great, so I am surprised the RS-1 reputedly does not seal as well.

I've used various dual-layer anti-fogging shields in the past and didn't like the second layer, but I will agree that they are effective. Usually the issue for me is that my glasses fog up before the sheild, so ventilation is more important than shield-based solutions (at least in my opinion).

So now I wait for the RS-1 to arrive.

I don't know about the RS-1, but I really like the Bell Star. Full retail is pretty high, but if you're patient you can find some decent models on closeouts.

I had a Viper model that I picked up for $200 from motorcyclecloseouts.com - that one did the job (and gave its life) when I highsided on my FZ-1 last October and face-planted on the road. I picked up a replacement for $400 and its comfortable, flows a lot of air, has nice pockets for placing my Sena speakers, and looks great!

I have an RS-1, never tried the Qwest. Shoei's never seem to fit me well enough to justify the price.

The RS-1 is the best fitting helmet I've ever owned (30+ years of riding). This naturally is highly personal thing though.

The helmet is eerily quiet, you can still here everthing around you clearly, but it's subdued. I live in Northern Ontario where fogging (cold temps) is an issue. Not one complaint there with the RS-1. Ventilation is very good and I've never experienced the visor leaking even in a torrential downpour (makes me wonder about reviewers.. these things ARE adjustable!). The ear pockets accommodated both my Collette speakers and now my Sena speakers with ease.

I've said it before, it's like putting my entire head in a pussy :D It fits that good.

Build quality is great as is expected. Visors are a tad on the pricey side and they do make a photo-chromatic one thats WAY pricey.

I think the helmet fit on the RS-1 is skewed toward a more narrow profile head instead of round.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about as you can see. The only thing I wish it had that I miss was the flip down visor in my old IS-16. But I sure don't miss the IS-16 one little bit!

Hope this helps you out some. Knowing Shoei quality you can't go wrong with either helmet beyond fit.

Quest is the best lid I have ever had..quiet,fits great,good vents and with the pinlock shield I never have to crack the shield even at stops..which is great when it is cold [seems like most of the time around here]. The large size is large overall and it took awhile to find the one position that it will fit in the saddlebag which is a pain-my RF1000 and Arai Signet fit easily.

Ok I got the Bell RS-1 and am unsure whether I'll keep it.

Compared to my Vortex:

1. It is quiet. Probably the quietest helmet I have ever owned.

2. The face shield seals just as well - as Bungie mentioned, it is adjustable.

3. It flows more air at the chin but less at the fore- and top-of-head.

4. It is noticeably lighter - even if I didn't know it was lighter I would have noticed it.

5. Tighter than my Vortex, although both are labeled 58-59 cm.

Overall the quality of the helmet is excellent and for $200 it is hard to beat.

The problem is the fit.

I tried it on in the store and it fit great. I'm all for supporting my local merchants and will pay a bit extra to do so, but when they charge $349 for a $200 helmet that's a different story. My point is that the one I tried in the store fits great.

The one I got is too tight. It is tigher than my Vortex, to the point where I can feel the pressure start to build in my face.

I have read the reviews that say Bell had a run of Large's which measured 58-59 cm so I asked motorcyclecloseouts.com which one they will be sending me, and they said "use the charts". I did, which showed 59-60. I received a 58-59 and is noticeably tighter than the one at the store, so I called the store and asked what the tag said and they said "58-59". Then I look at my Vortex, a Large, and it was also 58-59. I acknowledge that padding will break down over time but I doubt the one in the store has had that happen.

At this point I am sort of on the fence what to do.

Here are my choices:

•  
  • Keep it and hope it breaks in. If it does, this will be an awesome lid.
  • Go to the store and try on the XL's, if they fit, exchange for an XL. Will cost me another $30 in shipping.
  • Return it and get the Qwest. $349. Recent reviews I've read comparing it the Vortex say it is just as loud, and vents less.
  • Return it and get a refund. Will cost $15 shipping + $40 restocking fee (think I'll buy from motorcyclecloseouts.com again?)

I hate it when there isn't a clear and obvious choice. Maybe if I just sit on it a day the choice will be clear.

I have a new helmet that feels very tight so I deflated a basketball last night and then I pumped it up inside the helmet until it was nice and tight - should speed up the break in process.... we'll see how it fits tonight.

If a helmet doesn't fit to your satisfaction it isn't worth the money.

You seem to like everything about the helmet except the fit. You already got a good deal (I paid $350 for mine!), take some of that savings and get the XL. Be happy.

I've got a full season on mine, and I've only noticed a slight 'break in' of the fit. I would expect the current helmet won't alter itself enough to make you happy.

Kind of a dumb screw up on the sizing on Bell's part on the initial production run.

BTW, a similar thing happened to me when I bought my RS-1. I actually had gone to try on the Revolver (flip front) and finding the designers really dropped the ball on that one (that's why their clearing them out and have brought out a new one). While I was there, the dealer brought out an RS-1 that he had ordered for somebody else. I tried it on and OMFG! Nirvana. The Bell Star fits very similar to the RS-1 but I just couldn't justify the price. The Vortex wasn't so good. Seemed to be a more neutral profile similar to the Shoei's.

If a helmet doesn't fit to your satisfaction it isn't worth the money.

You seem to like everything about the helmet except the fit. You already got a good deal (I paid $350 for mine!), take some of that savings and get the XL. Be happy.

I've got a full season on mine, and I've only noticed a slight 'break in' of the fit. I would expect the current helmet won't alter itself enough to make you happy.

Kind of a dumb screw up on the sizing on Bell's part on the initial production run.

BTW, a similar thing happened to me when I bought my RS-1. I actually had gone to try on the Revolver (flip front) and finding the designers really dropped the ball on that one (that's why their clearing them out and have brought out a new one). While I was there, the dealer brought out an RS-1 that he had ordered for somebody else. I tried it on and OMFG! Nirvana. The Bell Star fits very similar to the RS-1 but I just couldn't justify the price. The Vortex wasn't so good. Seemed to be a more neutral profile similar to the Shoei's.
+1 big time

There's nothing more important than the helmet fitting. Any of our gear, that will be our excuse not to wear it, if it doesn't fit (uncomfortable).

I always recommend wearing a helmet in a store for at least 20 mins so any potential "hot spots" can develop. Just putting it on for a minute won't tell the whole story. Some 'hot spots' can be 'spooned out' (rub the spot with the back of a large spoon and it will compress the foam just slightly enough to make it comfortable).

Anyway Aasland, it sounds like your biggest issue is the size you tried on vs what they sent? that's just really buggered imho. Rather than spend money returning etc, give Bell a call and explain them changing the sizes like that, without you knowing, is something they need to make right. Who knows, maybe they will let you exchange it with them?

All I can say is My Shoei Qwest fits me like a glove. It's perfect for my head shape (please no jokes wize guyz!). I don't really care how loud it may or may not be, I wear earplugs and no helmet is perfectly quiet.

IMHO, nothing else matters but the fit.

Lots of good advice here (quote of the week by Bungie regarding fit in post #9) :lol: , but one thing I screwed up when selecting my helmet was not taking into account ear pocket size. I love the fit/performance of my Shoei X-Eleven, but since acquiring an Autocom system, the in-helmet speakers no worky so good. I ended up using my older Scorpion EXO-400 which has large ear pockets and works well in that application. Alas, I'll probably have to sell my newer Shoei as I don't see riding much without the Autocom and the Shoei will now be a dust collector. Something else to consider if you're likely to get a comm system in the time frame you have the new helmet.

Lots of good advice here (quote of the week by Bungie regarding fit in post #9) :lol: , but one thing I screwed up when selecting my helmet was not taking into account ear pocket size. I love the fit/performance of my Shoei X-Eleven, but since acquiring an Autocom system, the in-helmet speakers no worky so good. I ended up using my older Scorpion EXO-400 which has large ear pockets and works well in that application. Alas, I'll probably have to sell my newer Shoei as I don't see riding much without the Autocom and the Shoei will now be a dust collector. Something else to consider if you're likely to get a comm system in the time frame you have the new helmet.
John - the Bell Star is great regarding the speaker pockets. There's a nice recessed pocket, grooves to accomodate the wires, and covers to help keep the speakers in place. I'm on my second (unfortunately destroyed one in a crash) but I think its great.

John - the Bell Star is great regarding the speaker pockets. There's a nice recessed pocket, grooves to accomodate the wires, and covers to help keep the speakers in place. I'm on my second (unfortunately destroyed one in a crash) but I think its great.
Thanks Russ for the feedback on the Bell Star. I'd used their helmets 30 years ago, but hadn't considered them until lately when I saw the new Star and read the very favorable reviews. I was going to suggest the Star to Aasland as a very cost effective upgrade, but if the RS-1 doesn't fit him well, then the Star may not be any better. Hopefully it'll fit a "pointy, narrow' head like mine, but will need a test fitting to see for sure. Good luck to you Aasland, helmet shopping normally sucks until you hit on just the right combination.

Thanks Russ for the feedback on the Bell Star. I'd used their helmets 30 years ago, but hadn't considered them until lately when I saw the new Star and read the very favorable reviews. I was going to suggest the Star to Aasland as a very cost effective upgrade, but if the RS-1 doesn't fit him well, then the Star may not be any better. Hopefully it'll fit a "pointy, narrow' head like mine, but will need a test fitting to see for sure. Good luck to you Aasland, helmet shopping normally sucks until you hit on just the right combination.
I have considered the Star, but it didn't fit as well. There is less padding and is less comfortable than the RS-1, and has gotten a lot of mixed reviews regarding noise control. There are some available for not a whole lot of cash, but I understand they changed head shape models about two years ago, so be careful if you try on a new one and compare to a discounted leftover 2009'ish model. But the key factor, as everyone is stating, is fit.

I agree that fit is #1, and that's why I'm so frustrated that I try it on in the store and wear for 10-15 minutes and it's great, then get one in the mail and it's too tight. Same model, same size label in the helmet. Makes me wonder if they have random head shapes, and also makes me worry about buying the Shoei online just to experience the same time. :( I'd be happy to buy it in the store if I didn't lose 20% to motorcyclecloseouts.com for a refund. :angry2:

Went back to the store again today, tried on the RS-1 in large. Yep, it is larger than the one I received from motorcyclecloseouts.com, even though the labels on both say "Large 58-59". I tried on an XL and it was too loose. But the Shoei Qwest continues to fit well, so I'll be returning the RS-1 for a Qwest.

The saga continues ...