Wiring Auxiliary lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve'o'

Reaction score
I just purchased a set of the 1500 Lm LED lights for a fender mount. I would like to wire them up with a single pole double throw switch. I am told this switch works in 3 different positions. (1) the lights are completely off, (2) you can wire them come on with your high beam or low beam headlights, (3) manually turn the lights on to stay on at all times. I have very limited wiring capabilities and just wondering if anyone has aux lights wired this way or has a better solution. If so a diagram or simple explanation would be greatly appreciated.

I just purchased a set of the 1500 Lm LED lights for a fender mount. I would like to wire them up with a single pole double throw switch. I am told this switch works in 3 different positions. (1) the lights are completely off, (2) you can wire them come on with your high beam or low beam headlights, (3) manually turn the lights on to stay on at all times. I have very limited wiring capabilities and just wondering if anyone has aux lights wired this way or has a better solution. If so a diagram or simple explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Here's a good write up. Wiring Tutorial Try Google "FJR Forum + wiring aux lights", works better than the board search feature. A big +1 on the Fuzeblock even if you aren't planning any other farkles (that'll change), as you'll be way ahead of the game by installing that from the get go.

Here's how you want to wire your relay and SPDT switch:

12VRelayAuxLightswiring.jpg

Thanks Fred, for posting up what I couldn't put my finger on right away. Despite selling your VFR, you're still a good dude! :p

I would just wire them with the relay independent of the headlights. I run them in the daytime for vis, but if I am on a road with lots of cars at night, the lights really piss off oncoming cars.

Fred, off the SPDT switch, the yellow lead to "12V switched", where am I going to get this power from? Taillight? or somewhere else? Would I also be able to get my other side off the low beam instead of the high beam?

Steve

Steve,

I picked the switched 12V off the disconnected windshield auto retract cable. But yes, you could pick it up off any of the running lights or anything else that is handy to wherever you place your relay. The relay draws very little current and will not upset any existing switched power circuits.

And yes, you could pick the 2nd trigger from one of the the low beam power wires if that suits your needs better. Generally speaking folks switch their Aux lights with their high beams, but it all depends on how you have them aimed, I suppose.

Have fun!

But, aren't the low beams always on when the bike is running? Using the low beams would really add no value over a simple SPST switch and leave the light circuit out of it.

I do have my aux. lights switched to go on with the high beams and I find no advantage to use them without high beams. I use a SPST switch so I can use the high beams without the aux. lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, aren't the low beams always on when the bike is running?
No. The low beams go out when you switch on the high beams.

Why anyone would want that configuration, I have no idea. But it could be done. ;)
I just find that my highbeams are fairly bright. I don't do a lot of night driving, and I am adding the aux lights for conspicuity during the day time, so I don't have to run my highbeams. I just figured with the SPDT switch that would still give me the option to run the aux lights at night with the high beams if I needed too. I understand the reasoning running the aux lights with the highbeams. I guess for me, the ultimate would be, 2 sets of aux lights, like some of the guys are running on the forum.

Latest posts