Two somewhat comical instances

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebike

Reaction score
I was out for a ride on the FJR yesterday am about mid morning; I was headed north of town to get a lemonade in a little town called Micanopy. I was nearly there when I ran into smoke from an apparent grass fire----and it was getting heavy so I hung a u-turn and headed south on 441 where I had just come from. About a mile or so later--- I see a set of pretty bright headlights gaining quickly on me and I was cruising about 70mph. I t was a car and it pulls along side me and slows down. Hmmmmm

It was a pretty 300Z Nissan but it had an induction system, tuned exhaust , big gauges presumably for the boost and whatever. I was not baited so I just held it at 70 and he accelerated and then would drop back towards me......... at the light at 318 we caught it red and were side by side. Lesson number one --- your car is no match for the FJR. light changes ---Whooooosh..... I obviously bury him ... I level out at about 75 sit up one hand on hip and he finally catches up and blows on by.

Then to my surprise about a mile later -- he slows down apparently looking for lesson number 2 --- you do not have more acceleration from 70 on up either. I pull along side -- ready -- in second gear at about 70.... he gets on it and I flick the wrist -- tach it up and hit 3rd as I smoke him a second time.

Hopefully he learned to go back to playing with cages and not bikes ---especially not an FJR
yahoo.gif

Second story-- I also have an Electraglide - an '03 with about 30,000 miles on it (meaning I am not new to it) -- I have not ridden it since buying the FJR on April 26th ... I ride it last evening for a short ride and as I pulled to the first red light not too far from my home..... I thought something was drastically wrong with the motor..... then realized it was just the normal shaking at idle .... guess I am used to the silky smooth FJR....
smile.gif

IIRC, Toecutter played cat and mouse with a Lambo on Hwy 99 near the grapevine years ago, same outcome. Boys and their high priced toys are often just noise!

I've never been challenged on the FJR, I think most drives assume it is a large touring bike and not worth the effort. But on the VFR it has happened a couple times, usually from little boys in Honda's with broken mufflers. But once it was a 2000'ish Mustang that managed to hang with me up to 90 or so, I was beating him by a couple carlengths - unless I missed 2nd gear or hit the rev limiter, then we would be pretty even. Did this at four lights, at the fifth we had a chance to talk, turns out he had a supercharged 32-valve Cobra engine, and thought I had a liter-bike.

But that's just acceleration. I'd be leery about any challenges on a twisty road ... not because I live in Flatlandistan, but it seems like cars go around racetracks faster than the bikes.

Ah, someone else knows what's in Micanopy! :blink:
Lived in Gainesville and my family was in Tampa. You can't not drive that route and NOT know what's in Micanopy. There's also a gas station. It's the last stop before you hit the county where the gas tax goes up and then the city where the gas tax goes up. Always stop there if you are running low or going into G'ville.

In addition to the
dribble.gif
"Cafe"
unsure.gif
there is a quaint little main street with an old ice cream / sandwich shop motif that makes really good fresh squeezed lemonade. It is where the movie Doc Hollywood with Michael J Fox was filmed. You go past the
dribble.gif
"Cafe"
unsure.gif
heading east about 1/3 mile hang a right and viola a real little town.
smile.gif

I think I have driven through that town. I was living in Troy Alabama and had shipped the bike down for my extended stay and traveling to see my father on weekends in Silver Springs Fla. Never stopped because I was not paying for gas and really did not care about the cost. Besides only a little of 1 tank to make the trip. As for cars are faster then bikes. One of the rags did a things years ago with a Z?? Corvette and a GXR-1000 I think and the bike kicked ass on the track and they were driven by race drivers . Even the car driver beat his times in the vet when he was on the bike. It was a stock of the shelf bike also.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the
dribble.gif
"Cafe"
unsure.gif
there is a quaint little main street with an old ice cream / sandwich shop motif that makes really good fresh squeezed lemonade. It is where the movie Doc Hollywood with Michael J Fox was filmed. You go past the
dribble.gif
"Cafe"
unsure.gif
heading east about 1/3 mile hang a right and viola a real little town.
smile.gif
Yeah, who cares?

Duplicate. I hit the Add Reply button, nothing happened for 2 or 3 minutes, I hit it again and there's two copies of my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duplicate. I hit the Add Reply button, nothing happened for 2 or 3 minutes, I hit it again and there's two copies of my post.
And it was such a nice and caring post. You're almost as grumpy as the sheep humper.
That was mean 'Zilla, I was going to say he was as Grumpy as the Manatee Fornicator!

And it was such a nice and caring post. You're almost as grumpy as the sheep humper.

Oh yeah, yer in a position to talk. :dribble:

Care to tell us who got smoked by a moped? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find myself looking for passing opportunities based on it being safer to travel separate from the pack (Hah! I bet half you guys were thinking I only wanted another excuse to rev-chase!)

I wasn't saying I didn't care about his post, I just meant who cares what else is in Micanopy? It's a nice place for college girls from U-of-F to get an extra buck or 500.

Although the gas station is handy for north-bound travellers on the edge of range. You want gas before Alachua County or after, but not during!

That was mean 'Zilla, I was going to say he was as Grumpy as the Manatee Fornicator!

Oh yeah, yer in a position to talk.
dribble.gif

Care to tell us who got smoked by a moped?
laugh.gif
laugh.png
laugh.gif
Guess you three troublemakers haven't had yer peepees spanked in a while and decided to come out all at once and tempt fate?

CheezeePete....it's like turning off the lights...all the roaches come out to play. :finger:

Um jackass...I donno if you've been paying attention, but you revived this thread from 2012. Those posts are from when it was still ok to have fun here. Lol!!!