Like Steve McQueen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
I ring Fairlaner a few days ago.

“How r’ye mate?”

“Good Richard. Hey, I need a favor. I’ve got to fly down to Long Beach this weekend, pick up a new bike, and get it to a show for filming. Then we can flog the piss out of it on Mulholland. You game?”

“Hell yeah.”

And that’s how Richard found himself sitting astride a 2013 Triumph Bonneville Steve McQueen edition this weekend.

P1040508.jpg

Number 2 of 1100.

P1040511.jpg

Number 0000 sat nearby. It goes to McQueen’s son Chad.

P1040509.jpg

The bike has all of 5 miles on it when I head out in heavy traffic. I’ve got 45 minutes to get from Long Beach to Chino. I’m really getting to like this lane splitting concept.

The Triumph instantly feels comfortable. The twin purrs down the road, and a twist of the wrist brings a nice surge of torque. It’s not the “rocket burners” of an FJR, but it’s got a little scoot to it, and it is infinitely cooler looking. I get why people like the Bonneville’s and Scramblers. I only wish the first few miles were spent buzzing along Pacific Coast Highway. That’s where this Bonnie is right at home.

That will change on Sunday. Tonight I got to get the bike to Chino.

Steve McQueen went into the Boys Republic at age 14, the result of some petty crimes and the lack of strong family support. He emerged three years later wearing a tshirt and jeans, and would say publicly that the Boy’s Republic saved his life. Years later, when he was at the height of his movie stardom, he went to the tailor and bought a nice custom fitting suit to wear to his return trip the Boys Republic.

When Neile, his wife, asked why he needed to dress up, he said: “I want these boys to see that they can come out of this place and be anything they can dream of being.”

P1040534.jpg

When Steve died, he left a considerable sum to the Boy’s Republic, and his son Chad has continued to work tirelessly on fundraisers. This weekend is the Steve McQueen Car show, and it is their biggest fundraiser of the year.

This year’s theme: Bullitt.

P1040513.jpg

P1040514.jpg

Chad, his wife Jeannie, and Neile joined 500 guests for a great evening and auction.

P1040515.jpg

Master of Ceremonies for the evening was the classic car guru Matt Stone, former editor of Motor Trend and the voice you hear on Barrett Jackson auctions discussing all the classics for sale.

P1040517.jpg

Nicolas Hunziker, a well-known artist, donated this oil and canvas painting. It sold for $10k!

P1040527.jpg

All told, the event was super successful, raising money to help renovate the cottages and classrooms where these boys live and study. They need it. The Boy’s Republic is doing God’s work with these youths, turning them from a life of crime into responsible and hard-working young men.

The next day, I ride the bike back to the car show, where the field is already filled with some incredible exotics.

P1040535.jpg

But no time to gawk, as I’ve got work to do. We’ve got a film crew out to do a short documentary on the Triumph. Chad and his son Steven come over to check the bike out. It’s quite a cool moment.

P1040543.jpg

I later park the bike next to some nice older Triumphs.

P1040559.jpg

While I am setting up the bike, this older gentleman comes over and we start to talk about it. He likes the lines of it. His name is Dave Ekins, the former editor of Motorcyclist, brother of legendary Triumph builder and stuntman Bud Ekins (who jumped the bike in The Great Escape), and along with Cliff Coleman, Bud, and Steve, competed in the famous 1964 International Six Day Trials.

P1040558.jpg

We talk for a while, and he gives me some tips on how to fire my ’56 Matchless on the first kick. How cool is that!

Steven comes by later and rides the bike into the show. He’s already got his own on order. He’s clearly got the family gene for speed.

P1040570.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The next day, I meet Fairlaner early. We head up Coast Highway, where the Bonnie is right at home, and snap some pix on the top of Stunt Road. Damn this bike looks cool.

DSC_5968.jpg

DSC_5971.jpg

DSC_5973.jpg

Fairlaner’s got his hot Audi wired up with several Go Pro’s, and we head out towards the Rock Store and the Snake. The Bonnie does just great, but I can’t keep up with Fairlaner’s quick driving. Even in a car, the guy's too fast.

DSC_5976.jpg

We find some cool Porsches, a Ferrari Cal 330 GT, and a cool Talbot, hanging out at the Snake.

At the Rock Store, there’s already a ton of cool bikes.

SAM_1976.jpg

Lots to look at, but these catch my eye. A custom Vmax Café racer with a Supertrap exhaust that sounds badass.

P1040585.jpg

This Honda café is right at home.

SAM_1977.jpg

I’ll post up the videos later. It was a great day, and a testament to the Bonnie that I put 38 miles on the rental car, but nearly 400 on the Bonnie.

We’ve got some work to do turning the Bonnie into a Mulholland-worthy machine, but I’ll tell you about that a bit later…

This is one of the coolest reports I've seen. :yahoo:

Very nice stuff...you really got some cool meet ups and conversations!!

That Triumph does look pretty cool. :)

Matte green, you mean, right Monty?

The color of this bike is really cool. I like how they combined some brushed engine bits with some black bits. The bike has some fun touches too: the ignition key is mounted on the left fork, the fuel injector body is housed in what looks like a carb, and there's an old school choke on the left side next to the carb. The spoked rims run tubeless tires.

I also really enjoyed riding the Bonnie on Mulholland. It's nowhere near the canyon carver that a Tuono or a supermoto might be, and it could use some gofaster and handling upgrades (again, more on this part later), but there is a really great old-school feel, and the twin is just a honey of an engine. Gear shifts are slick, and the bike pulls about 4000RPM around 75 mph. The lack of a windshield is noticeable on the highway over 75mph, and you feel really suceptible to cross winds. Doing 55-60 on Pacific Coast Highway, with some CSNY playing on the IPOD, and it takes you back in time.

The pipes look cool, but they need some work, as the sound is very muted and crisp (think the sound of a boxer engine breathing through stock pipes). Getting something old school, like a fluted trumpet style, might open up the sound a bit. Arrow makes an OEM pipe for the Bonnie that sounds nice. Suspension was much better than I was expecting, and the brakes were better than the Scrambler that I rode a year ago.

It also has no fuel gauge, so you have to spend a few hundred miles after break-in understanding the range.

The other thing I'll need to change out is the riding gear. A bike like this cries out for wearing a Lewis Leather jacket.

after you have done all that we will have to do it again, maybe next time will be able to ride........

R

HooBoy! What a cool report.

Hanging with the McQueen family and other motorcyclista at the fund raiser event would be cool enough, but you got to ride a limited edition McQueen Triumph? I am (olive drab) green with envy.

I was especially intrigued to learn of McQueen's "Boys Republic" connection and experience. I never knew that about him. I always thought that he was the real deal, but that just cements it. It increases my esteem of him even more to know he came from such humble emotional beginnings.

Thanks for sharing the report. It sure sounds like you have quite a nice gig going on out there. ;)

Hanging with the McQueen family and other motorcyclista at the fund raiser event would be cool enough, but you got to ride a limited edition McQueen Triumph? I am (olive drab) green with envy.

I was especially intrigued to learn of McQueen's "Boys Republic" connection and experience. I never knew that about him. I always thought that he was the real deal, but that just cements it. It increases my esteem of him even more to know he came from such humble emotional beginnings.

Thanks for sharing the report. It sure sounds like you have quite a nice gig going on out there. ;)
Fred, He not only get's to ride the Steve Mc Queen limited edition bike, he owns it! :yahoo:

Fred, He not only get's to ride the Steve Mc Queen limited edition bike, he owns it! :yahoo:
Thanks Marcus for giving us "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would always say, I didn't pick up on that fact (I thought is was related to his work!). Now I am fully with Niehart, Bastard!!