How to disable auto windsreen return

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Atkinson

Reaction score
Would someone direct me to information on how to disable the auto return on my windscreen ? I did a search with no luck.

Thanks

Bob

I did want to do this but just recently I pulled up to a Bar (smokers outside in front) and a real hott chick saw me pull in and shut the bike off. Of course the windshield retracts as I get off, she comes over after noticing and loves the windshield in motion and says she's never seen that before. Can you say "foot in the door".

Well, it's all for the chicks I guess ;) so I will have to keep it active.

I did want to do this but just recently I pulled up to a Bar (smokers outside in front) and a real hott chick saw me pull in and shut the bike off. Of course the windshield retracts as I get off, she comes over after noticing and loves the windshield in motion and says she's never seen that before. Can you say "foot in the door".

Well, it's all for the chicks I guess ;) so I will have to keep it active.
My wife doesn't think too highly of me attracting chicks, but I reactivated my auto-retract for basically the same reason. People think it's cool that the bike will do that! :yahoo:

Plus I think the bike looks like $hit with the windshield extended when it's parked. So when I had auto-retract disabled, I found myself retracting the windshield whenever I parked anyway.

And for those that live in hot and sunny climates (not applicable to us Western WA folks), there's a theory that having the shield extended when parked in the sun leads to melting of the dash.

having the shield extended when parked in the sun leads to melting of the dash.
Park in the shade.

My thought was, why have the shield go up and back down 18 million times over the life of the bike, instead of the 450 or so times I did it because I wanted it up or down? Figger it'll last longer this way. (Chicks find my common sense appealing.) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
having the shield extended when parked in the sun leads to melting of the dash.
Park in the shade.
You obviously don't know where Bonney Lake is located. Us Seattle area riders ALWAYS park in the shade because that's all we have (not counting the rain that goes with the shade). :lol:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he can provide for his family.

Enjoy the meal.

I prefer: Light a fire for a man and he is warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life! :D

And for those that live in hot and sunny climates (not applicable to us Western WA folks), there's a theory that having the shield extended when parked in the sun leads to melting of the dash.
Old wive's tale. If that were true, my dash would have been a pile of molten goo a long time ago.

I just did this on my 07, very easy. My upper corner fairing (where headlight adjuster is) mount bolt is stuck and just spins with lots of friction (like a nut is spinning), so I reached my hand in there and disconnected it without removing anything, but it was tight.

Thought about doing this when I first bought the bike. Four years later, it is just something you do before heading down the road. Not so much an annoyance anymore. And you are right, bike looks odd with it extended while parked.

It's not always cold in Western Washington. I've seen the thermometer reach 90F on a few occasions. Very few. I'm still waiting for it to break 70f and June is about a third gone already. 5th of July isn't far off though and that is when our summer can realistically be expected. Sometimes.

Park in the shade.

My thought was, why have the shield go up and back down 18 million times over the life of the bike, instead of the 450 or so times I did it because I wanted it up or down? Figger it'll last longer this way. (Chicks find my common sense appealing.) ;)
SacMike, while your common sense my be beyond reproach, your math skills suck large, green ones....lemme explain --

If you put the screen up 450 or so times in your FJR's life, the auto-retract would only have functioned 450 or so times. Right?

It's not like the auto-retract is going to function when you haven't put the shield up.

I think your "18 million times" is just a touch hyperbolic, don't you??? :p

The ONLY way the auto-retract is going to shorten the life of the windshield motor is if you put the shield up and NEVER want to lower it.

Last edited by a moderator:
your assumption doesn't address the times you no longer have to move the shield once you have it set. you have to set it every time if it auto-retracts. with it disabled, i tend to set it once and not bother with it for quite a few rides.

This did not work on my 2004 FJR. I followed the instructions but after disabling the wire plug (do not know correct name) I lost control of the windscreen motor completely. No up nor down..........nothing.

Anyone know what is wrong here? I would like to disable the auto return but still need to position the windscreen to suit the riding conditions.