Leaky fork seal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
Left fork seal has a small leak. YES in force through Feb. of 2013. Anyone else had this fix done under the extended warrenty?

Probably should mention that any thin piece of plastic cut into a shape similar to the Seal Mate works just as well (similar to film thickness).

To answer the OP's question- yes. Twice. 2 different dealerships repaired my leaking fork seals for free. But it was made clear that it wouldn't be done again for free. I'm good with that.

If you have a good dealer and more importantly Service Manager, then you might be successful. My local dealer wouldn't step up...

YMMV

--G

My local dealer repaired by '07 with 65,000 miles under YES. In fact only the left one was leaking and he repaired both forks. Service was so good I traded for an '11.

Thanks for all the responses. Kind of on the fence yet about the seal mate. It might work long enough to put me out of the YES warranty and the I would be out of luck. Dealer is ggod to work with, so I prolly will go have a talk with him first.

When I had my kawasaki I had a leaky seal and they wouldnt cover it. That being said both of my seals started leaking on the fjr about 3 weeks ago. I ordered the seal mate and used it, no more leaks.

Ordered the Seal mates today. $7.00 for two.....why would I ever need more than one?? A wide range of colors too :yahoo: Anyhoo, seems like the reviews are really favorable, and I had about $14 laying around in my Paypal account, so I will give it a try and let youse guys know the results.

Ordered the Seal mates today. $7.00 for two.....why would I ever need more than one?? A wide range of colors too :yahoo: Anyhoo, seems like the reviews are really favorable, and I had about $14 laying around in my Paypal account, so I will give it a try and let youse guys know the results.
Hope it fixes your Seal..!! ;) :)

I carry my sealmate on trips in case a leak pops up. I rebuilt my forks with new seals and bushings, approximately 1000 miles later a leak started after going down a dirt road in Idaho. Used the sealmate and the leak magically disappeared and now 10K miles later still rock solid. It only take a microscopic grain of dirt to be become embedded between your chrome slider and seal to create a leak. Sealmate works! best 7 bucks ever spent

Thanks for all the responses. Kind of on the fence yet about the seal mate. It might work long enough to put me out of the YES warranty and the I would be out of luck. Dealer is ggod to work with, so I prolly will go have a talk with him first.
It would be really good to get a fresh set of fork seals under warranty. If the dealership won't do it the seal mate is sure worth a try. If it works the problem is a piece of gunk between the fork tube and the seal and not a blown seal per se. The seal may then be just as good after using the seal mate as one that never leaked.

I have replaced fork seals on about 1/2 of the many bikes I have owned. Bet I could have used this product or something similar and saved a bunch of time/money/effort.

I carry my sealmate on trips in case a leak pops up. I rebuilt my forks with new seals and bushings, approximately 1000 miles later a leak started after going down a dirt road in Idaho. Used the sealmate and the leak magically disappeared and now 10K miles later still rock solid. It only take a microscopic grain of dirt to be become embedded between your chrome slider and seal to create a leak. Sealmate works! best 7 bucks ever spent
+1 ;) :)

I had my fork seals and bushings replaced at...I don't remember...15 or 18 k. Dealer wouldn't cover it under YES. I was kinda pissed about it, and just now I got the letter asking if I want to renew the YES warranty...

I used the sealmate successfully, several times on my 2006 forks starting about 18k miles, but when the frequency of leaking increased, I just replaced the bushings, seals, dust covers, fork oil, etc. at about 24K miles. Worked good!! 2k miles on that job and no leak! I followed the advice offered on this forum to complete the task.

Works well!! It's worth it to buy the parts and fabricate or buy the tools to do the job. You'll save hundreds of dollars, and know the job was done right.