My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoxr124

Reaction score
So first off, shipping was via UPS Express and arrived as promised. Ordered Wendesday and received on Monday. I looked over the parts and finish was as expected. Everything looked pretty straight forward for the install. Good thing since most of the paperwork was in German. Switching from the GenMar riser to this system required more hardware so a trip to Jerry's was in order. After install (which was not difficult even by myself. Well, I can't say that. I did enlist the help of my 4 year old to hold each side in place while I wrenched), I sat on the bike to adjust the sweep. Immediately I noticed that 40 mm rearward was fairly significant. I am 5'7" with average length arms. So if one were to have the same sweep angle as stock then it would be a fairly cramped cockpit. So I adjusted them to roughly the same sweep as on my '07 YZ250 motocross bike. Those bars are the ProTaper 1C3-90 Yamaha. I have it on the +1 setting. I know that may not mean much to anybody but it gives a slight frame of reference if you looked at a set at the shop. That set sweep still gave me about the same amount of inclination of my upper body that the GenMar risers provided. Which was what I was looking for. Oh, and you can still lift up the tank to retrieve the washer that you flung through the hole in the frame where the clutch cable goes in and inadvertantly lands on top of the heat shield during install. :angry2: The tank just barely clears the aluminum.

Sorry no pics to display. The manufacturer's website pretty much sums it up with their pics.

I've put on several hundred miles since the install. It does exactly as it promises. My wrists don't bother me anymore. :yahoo: I believe it is a great investment if you want to sit more straight up and/or believe that the stock sweep is too extreme for touring. I have gotten three of my friends to buy an FJR since I've owned mine. And all complained about the sweep on their rides. The FJR is a good platform for most. But farkling to make it your own is priceless. I enjoy it even more now that all these small but expensive farkles have made it work better for me.

Enjoy the ride. Summer's finally coming on around here. :clapping:

Great news!! :)

In next week i will buy and for my 04/ the model with the thermometer on..

On waiting and the finaly review from 'willabbott'.....the first MV buyer....

So first off, shipping was via UPS Express and arrived as promised. Ordered Wendesday and received on Monday. I looked over the parts and finish was as expected. Everything looked pretty straight forward for the install. Good thing since most of the paperwork was in German. Switching from the GenMar riser to this system required more hardware so a trip to Jerry's was in order. After install (which was not difficult even by myself. Well, I can't say that. I did enlist the help of my 4 year old to hold each side in place while I wrenched), I sat on the bike to adjust the sweep. Immediately I noticed that 40 mm rearward was fairly significant. I am 5'7" with average length arms. So if one were to have the same sweep angle as stock then it would be a fairly cramped cockpit. So I adjusted them to roughly the same sweep as on my '07 YZ250 motocross bike. Those bars are the ProTaper 1C3-90 Yamaha. I have it on the +1 setting. I know that may not mean much to anybody but it gives a slight frame of reference if you looked at a set at the shop. That set sweep still gave me about the same amount of inclination of my upper body that the GenMar risers provided. Which was what I was looking for. Oh, and you can still lift up the tank to retrieve the washer that you flung through the hole in the frame where the clutch cable goes in and inadvertantly lands on top of the heat shield during install. :angry2: The tank just barely clears the aluminum.

Sorry no pics to display. The manufacturer's website pretty much sums it up with their pics.

I've put on several hundred miles since the install. It does exactly as it promises. My wrists don't bother me anymore. :yahoo: I believe it is a great investment if you want to sit more straight up and/or believe that the stock sweep is too extreme for touring. I have gotten three of my friends to buy an FJR since I've owned mine. And all complained about the sweep on their rides. The FJR is a good platform for most. But farkling to make it your own is priceless. I enjoy it even more now that all these small but expensive farkles have made it work better for me.

Did you buy the riser straight from Germany, or did you find a North American distributor. If so what are his co-ordinates, I want a set.

Did you buy the riser straight from Germany, or did you find a North American distributor. If so what are his co-ordinates, I want a set.
I did a fair amount of searching but was unable to locate a US distributer. So needless to say, straight from the shop.

What about solutions for securing a Zumo GPS other than the customary top triple clamp nut replacement mount?

I mount my GPS using a RAM-bone mounted at the tank bolts.But I don't have a riser plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about solutions for securing a Zumo GPS other than the customary top triple clamp nut replacement mount?
Yes..this is a problem...I find three solutions..1)on the left handlebar with a ram mount on the clutch master cylinder:

https://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,showdetail,31469,e,1340130984-8965,1254303433.1331054885,10317,,Tshowrub--1254303433.1331054885,.htm

https://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,showdetail,31469,e,1340130984-8965,1254303433.1331054885,10318,,Tshowrub--1254303433.1331054885,.htm

2)Behind the emblem is a hole there and with a flat screw you can hold a ram ball there.3)With a replacement bolt on the adapter...

I've got my nuvi mounted via Ram holder and Techmount mount in the unused left mirror hole in the clutch master cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the optimum location for any GPS, up over the instruments.

My concerns are that the plastic faring is pretty thin and flimsy, so it might not support my (heavy) zumo 550 GPS, and I don't believe that I would have enough clearance behind the windshield. I will play around with it some and see, as I'd really like to get it mounted up there. Maybe just require a reinforcement plate of some sort?

Thanks for the link. ;)

2012-06-19_13-33-29_781.jpg

2012-06-19_13-33-20_748.jpg

Yeah! This rookie's first time at posting pics. It actually freakin' worked for me! :yahoo:

That is the optimum location for any GPS, up over the instruments.

My concerns are that the plastic faring is pretty thin and flimsy, so it might not support my (heavy) zumo 550 GPS, and I don't believe that I would have enough clearance behind the windshield. I will play around with it some and see, as I'd really like to get it mounted up there. Maybe just require a reinforcement plate of some sort?

Thanks for the link. ;)
I think there is a realy good place for mounting a GPS..I try to mount it there..I like it too..! :)

2012-06-19_13-33-29_781.jpg

2012-06-19_13-33-20_748.jpg

Yeah! This rookie's first time at posting pics. It actually freakin' worked for me! :yahoo:
It looks GREAT!!!on the bike!!!It is Realy Beautifoul!!!In the MV's website photos it dosn't looks nice like yours!!Maybe The MV must ask your photos for their Website..!! :lol:

Realy great pictures..!!! ;) :)

Just ordered my own MV Bar Riser right from Germany. Supposed to get it within a week. It was easy to order and used paypal to pay for it. Ok , now my "new for me" machine is getting to be really rideable. So far, OES sliders, audiovox cruise control, Go Cruise throttle lock, and a Shuberth C3 helmet to keep the noggin safe.

Thanks to all on this forum that gave me all the info I needed to make my '07 AE a joy to ride. :rolleyes:

I have to ask. What do you gain with this, that one of the aftermarket triple clamps don't provide, other than the ability to rotate the bars a little more?