In praise of FZ1 mirrors on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rheal

Reaction score
I did an 11 day trip from Montreal in early June, down through many of the eastern states to Front Royal Va. Most of you will now guess correctly that we then rode Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. You are correct of course. We then did the Tail of the Dragon as well as the Cherohala Skyway before heading North East back home to Montreal. I / We had a great time with the usual mix of weather. Even on the trip down to Front Royal and back up from Knoxville, I was doing my best to keep off the highways so as to better enjoy the ride and the scenery. Success all around. But ... on my first day back, I immediately ordered a set of FZ1 mirrors. Well, the results are spectacular as far as I am concerned. Ever since purchasing the FJR in April 2011, the limited visibility available from the stock mirrors really surprised and bugged me. My previous bike, a Yamaha cruiser, had much better visibility. But since adding the FZ1 mirrors, life is good again.

• the size of the visible field on both sides is greatly enhanced;
  • and the mirror adjustment possibilities are not restricted as they are with the stock mirrors. I can adjust them in the "defensive" manner I have trained myself to use with the right hand side mirror allowing me to see behind me and to my right, and with the left hand side mirror looking to my left side lane only and not behind.
My conclusion: these FZ1 mirrors on the FJR are a pretty well a "must have" addition.

I did an 11 day trip from Montreal in early June, down through many of the eastern states to Front Royal Va. Most of you will now guess correctly that we then rode Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. You are correct of course. We then did the Tail of the Dragon as well as the Cherohala Skyway before heading North East back home to Montreal. I / We had a great time with the usual mix of weather. Even on the trip down to Front Royal and back up from Knoxville, I was doing my best to keep off the highways so as to better enjoy the ride and the scenery. Success all around. But ... on my first day back, I immediately ordered a set of FZ1 mirrors. Well, the results are spectacular as far as I am concerned. Ever since purchasing the FJR in April 2011, the limited visibility available from the stock mirrors really surprised and bugged me. My previous bike, a Yamaha cruiser, had much better visibility. But since adding the FZ1 mirrors, life is good again.

• and the mirror adjustment possibilities are not restricted as they are with the stock mirrors. I can adjust them in the "defensive" manner I have trained myself to use with the right hand side mirror allowing me to see behind me and to my right, and with the left hand side mirror looking to my left side lane only and not behind.
My conclusion: these FZ1 mirrors on the FJR are a pretty well a "must have" addition.
Amen brother.

You could also order these https://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/catalog/mirror-extensions-sw-motech-yamaha-fjr-1300-2006-2011-p-407781.html for the same price, get the same result and keep the factory look, if you are into it. I can attest to their effectiveness and their looks as I have them on my '06.

"You could also order these https://www.motorcycl...1-p-407781.html for the same price, get the same result and keep the factory look, if you are into it. I can attest to their effectiveness and their looks as I have them on my '06. "

I have been running FZ1 mirrors for aobut 5 years now and the thought of using any other mirror nevers occurs to me. The improvement is too great.

On the extenders, do they hold the stock mirrors out as far as the FZ1s and what about the lower position RE: the FZ1s.

Buy the OEM FZ1 mirrors: I tried 2 no-name brands and they are worthless. The mirrors have distortions in them, they are difficult to adjust to the correct position. The OEMs are worth the price.