Unlocked the sport without saddlebags, really? Top case better?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrsochs

Reaction score
Okay is it my imagination or does the bike make the twisties better without the side cases?

Even though empty side cases don't weigh much at all? I am guilty of having one side more loaded than the other most days, but I didn't expect to feel differently about the riding experience.

Perhaps it has something to do with my spatial awareness, my knowing that the bike is thinner-maybe that helps me feel freer. Is this why some of you choose to ride the bike with only the top case as opposed to no top case and just side cases? Previously I thought that the bike may have been aerodynamically designed best for riding with the side cases- after all how many times do you See naked FJRs out and about?

really didn't expect to feel any difference, but I did. At least I think I did. I rode my favorite twisties 5 to 10 miles an hour faster than I normally do. I know, I know the FJR is not about faster and faster and faster. I'm just thinking that perhaps my next long-distance ride could be very different with no side cases. I assume the Yamaha top case is more aerodynamically sound then all the third-party options. Just wondering if you guys had that same experience thanks.

I assume the Yamaha top case is more aerodynamically sound then all the third-party options.
I would not assume anything like that from Yamaha. I've noticed different ride characteristics with the top case (feels like the back end is wagging back and forth - even when empty). I don't think the airflow over and around the topcase is optimal at all.

Don't think the bags would make any difference, except possibly a bit of wind resistance which would easily be overcome by a bit more throttle. I think the biggest difference is adjustment of the big nut behind the handlebars. :D

I ride most local/day rides with just a seat pack to carry water, cell phone, spare glasses, tire repair kit and compressor, and other essentials. I find I can pack one up using only the top case for a month or longer ride if I stay in Motels. If I camp or ride 2 up, then I need the side cases. So I rarely have the side cases mounted. I actually feel the side cases are fairly heavy, but the weight is better distributed. I use a Givi top case.

Personally I never take the sidecases off, and I ride with a top case most of the time. This mounting plate for Givi along with a V46 box came with the bike when I purchase it used:

Top Box Mount

I really like it because it rides very low and air does not get under it. I don't even notice the box is there, which is a lot more than I can say for the last Givi I had that sat much higher.

I agree with RR. Having the empty bags on or off cannot possible make a big enough difference to be felt. Of course the placebo effect of knowing your bike looks sportier is enough to cause the brain to twist the right wrist more.

And, if you actually intend on carrying a few things it is far preferable to put that weight as low as possible, so the side bags are much better than a top box.

Don't think the bags would make any difference, except possibly a bit of wind resistance which would easily be overcome by a bit more throttle. I think the biggest difference is adjustment of the big nut behind the handlebars. :D
Correctly adjusting the nut behind the wheel appears to be the biggest problem we all have.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Okay is it my imagination or does the bike make the twisties better without the side cases?

Even though empty side cases don't weigh much at all? I am guilty of having one side more loaded than the other most days, but I didn't expect to feel differently about the riding experience.

Perhaps it has something to do with my spatial awareness, my knowing that the bike is thinner-maybe that helps me feel freer. Is this why some of you choose to ride the bike with only the top case as opposed to no top case and just side cases? Previously I thought that the bike may have been aerodynamically designed best for riding with the side cases- after all how many times do you See naked FJRs out and about?

really didn't expect to feel any difference, but I did. At least I think I did. I rode my favorite twisties 5 to 10 miles an hour faster than I normally do. I know, I know the FJR is not about faster and faster and faster. I'm just thinking that perhaps my next long-distance ride could be very different with no side cases. I assume the Yamaha top case is more aerodynamically sound then all the third-party options. Just wondering if you guys had that same experience thanks.
I ride my 2006 FJR without the system-cases almost exclusively. A riding buddy of mine weighed the system cases empty, and they are about 13 lbs. each. A top case is never a good dynamic when it comes to handling, not just for the weight and wind resistance, but also the weight sits high and far back. Since the front tire does 75%+ of the braking and 100% of the turning, lots of extra weight over the rear end does change overall chassis balance. Weight is the single most important dynamic in all-around performance, so anytime you can lighten the load you will increase performance, marginal to quite noticable depending on just how much load you eliminate.

marginal to quite noticable depending on just how much load you eliminate.

Somwinewhisperer,

What your saying is my riding has increased to a particular level of sensitivity! Wow! Thanks!

Greetings,

Similar to a couple others, I ride with all three cases almost all the time. I'm at 6K miles for the season so far. A lot of that is due to using the bike to commute to meetings and events. With all three trunks, I've got enough space to put stuff in the bike and walk off sans any riding gear.

The bags altogether weigh around 45 lbs. When I take 'em all off I do notice a mild difference. The top box (yami) doesn't bother me. When I first put it on, I did notice it was there, because the wind...particularly side winds...tugged at it a bit. But, once you adjust after the first :15, you never think about it again. Until you take it off<g>.

My own experience is I can have a more noticeable impact on the bike by doing a single-click suspension adjustement, than by playing with the bags.

Cheers

I assume the Yamaha top case is more aerodynamically sound then all the third-party options.
I would not assume anything like that from Yamaha. I've noticed different ride characteristics with the top case (feels like the back end is wagging back and forth - even when empty). I don't think the airflow over and around the topcase is optimal at all.
+1 on the top box wagging in my case as well. I bought a Givi E55 with the intent on using it instead of the side bags for daily use as I find a top box more convenient. Went back to using the side bags after one commute to work. Very hard to notice the side bags are even there. I'm curious as to how all the different windshields peeps use on the FJR may add to or reduce the "top box wag" or if it matters at all. BTW, I run a CEE Baily +4x2 flip.

I'm curious as to how all the different windshields peeps use on the FJR may add to or reduce the "top box wag" or if it matters at all. BTW, I run a CEE Baily +4x2 flip.
As a general rule: Larger windshield = More effect on top box at speed.

If you somehow fill the space between yourself and the top box (like with a passenger) you won't feel the effect anymore.

Since it's Friday, I'll offer up this as a passenger friend for you: Judy

Perhaps it has something to do with my spatial awareness, my knowing that the bike is thinner-maybe that helps me feel freer. Is this why some of you choose to ride the bike with only the top case as opposed to no top case and just side cases?
Yes I understand...but I think it's all in our heads though. LOL

Here's a good example of this with me & TwoWhldTerror (Tom) riding the Dragon earlier this year. I rode with no saddlebags and just the top case only.

US129-NATE2.jpg

Tom rode with his saddlebags and was following me.

US129-1.jpg

I am like you and I just "feel" like bike is sportier, lighter, faster, thinner with the saddlebags off. Having said that riding with the saddlebags on shouldn't really make any tangible difference in your riding/cornering speed. As you can see in the above picture Tom has a great lean angle entering the curve and is right on my tail. It's not like the saddlebags are gonna hit the ground. You'll be draggin pegs & center stands before the bags slow you down.

So I think it's more of a mental thing really...but I do know where your coming from. The bike just looks more like a sportbike with the saddlebags off and I think that translates and has an effect on how you feel about riding the bike in this setup.

Note: With regards to my riding at times with no saddlebags and the Shad topcase only...I don't even know it's back there. I don't have any of the wind drag or wobble that others complain about with their topcases. I have a Cee Baileys +2/+2 windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree here too. The bags empty put an extra 20-30 lbs on the tail plus some wind resistance. How can you not feel that?

I'm curious as to how all the different windshields peeps use on the FJR may add to or reduce the "top box wag" or if it matters at all. BTW, I run a CEE Baily +4x2 flip.
As a general rule: Larger windshield = More effect on top box at speed.

If you somehow fill the space between yourself and the top box (like with a passenger) you won't feel the effect anymore.

Since it's Friday, I'll offer up this as a passenger friend for you: Judy
Anyone up to a group buy for Judy ??

I have to agree here too. The bags empty put an extra 20-30 lbs on the tail plus some wind resistance. How can you not feel that?
I just weighed an empty saddlebag on my postal scale. It is 12lbs, so 24 lbs total and is located below the center of gravity of the bike.

24 pounds on a 640+ pound bike plus a ~180 lb rider represents less than a 3% difference in weight.

It would be a much bigger effect by not filling the gas tank more than half way. The two empty bags weigh less than 4 gallons of fuel, and the fuel is way up high and forward in the chassis.

Last edited by a moderator: