Rider down at SW-FOG (relatively minor injuries)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phroenips

Pronounced "Free-nips"...it's just a
Reaction score
Well, we had our first incident at SW-FOG yesterday. Joe and Cec were with a group in Aspen, and Joe stopped by the side of the road because HotRodZilla was trying to lead the group the wrong way ;)

In the process, Joe pinned his ankle between his Goldwing and the curb and fractured his right ankle on one side, and chipped the bone on the other side!

Joe is now in crutches and hopped up on Vicodin, and both Joe and Cec are in fairly high spirits. We already have a plan to help them get home. We reserved a uhaul truck and we'll load the Hondapotomous in there, strap it down and Cec will drive them home to Tuscon, AZ. 

But we need your help!

The uhaul rental fee was not inexpensive. I'd like to see if we can get the forum to pull together and see if we can help offset this ~$700 extra expense (plus any medical bills coming their way, and not to mention the fuel cost for a big uhaul) and make this experience a little less painful. I've setup a PayPal account using the [email protected] address. If you'd like to donate some money (send as a personal payment/gift to avoid excess fees), please send money to that address, and I'll be sure it gets to Joe and Cec (I can also provide proof that it's actually getting to them)

Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

$50.00 sent. Hope everything works out OK.
+1, Gunny; Great Work by you Scott for starting this Help Fund for Joe and Cec, Bravo to Pegsparks for being the first contributor. I got in a pissing match with PayPal over my contribution to RadioHowie's Frankenbike Fund and told them to go feck themselves, I have directly sent $50.00 to Joe and Cec at their Tucson home.

By the way Cec, if Tucson Joe starts bitching about your driving (like he usually does, that old goat would not let me drive to El Paso for our Mexico Ride!) you have my express personal permission to "bastard slap" him for me. jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Well, we had our first incident at SW-FOG yesterday. Joe and Cec were with a group in Aspen, and Joe stopped by the side of the road because HotRodZilla was trying to lead the group the wrong way ;)
What in the Holy Hell was Tucson Joe thinking to allow HotRodZilla to lead him anywhere, that makes just as much fecking sense as letting Canuck Bungie guide you somewhere! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

We got the fat pig of a Goldwing loaded into the U-Haul Budget truck, and they are on their way just before noon MDT! There are pictures/video of the ordeal, which I'll post up once I get them loaded onto a computer, processed, uploaded, etc :)

$25 sent to benefit a brother with a broken ankle.

Boy that felt good. You guys should try that!

Last edited by a moderator:
We got the fat pig of a Goldwing loaded into the U-Haul Budget truck, and they are on their way just before noon MDT! There are pictures/video of the ordeal, which I'll post up once I get them loaded onto a computer, processed, uploaded, etc :)
I can't wait to see what it actually looked like, I had my eyes closed the whole time :yahoo: :yahoo:

Money sent. This is a great idea. Good job Scott. Thanks for blaming that on me too. The only reason I got nominated to be the leader was because Don bailed out early and left us all hanging. So, officially, it's all Don's fault. Haha..

I'm glad Joe's ok, and I'm glad he went with us on the truck idea. I think their ride home on that bike would have been really painful.

Kudos to Jeff for just manning the F@*k up and riding the bike up the ramp. Buncha gurls wanted to push it.

According to paypal, I have made a donation, hope joe gets better soon. I personally had no problem with Zilla's leadership of the ride...it's fun practicing U-turns(he led a lot of them).

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What you can't see in the video are Scott's dinner plate sized eyes as I come flying into the back of the van with the expectation that he'll catch me! :yahoo: :yahoo:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What you can't see in the video are Scott's dinner plate sized eyes as I come flying into the back of the van with the expectation that he'll catch me! :yahoo: :yahoo:
How would you know, your eyes were closed, right??? :lol:

Wait, is the wing still rideable?
Oh yeah, the wing stayed upright. Joe "protected" it with his ankle ;)
I was kind of getting to the point that there's a lot of other options here. Seems to me that the UHaul option is the one where you are stranded and the bike isn't rideable.

Coulda stored it, someone else coulda ridden it. At the rates listed, plane tickets are cheaper than this option. Plus, he'd already budgeted for gas to ride the bike home so that doesn't count.

As I watched the loading video, I was thinking of the same question voiced by the person shooting the video: "How are they going to get it out?"

Awesome response by all those involved to help get the bike and it's owners back home safely!! Once again, this forum absolutely rocks! :clapping:

Wait, is the wing still rideable?
Oh yeah, the wing stayed upright. Joe "protected" it with his ankle ;)
I was kind of getting to the point that there's a lot of other options here. Seems to me that the UHaul option is the one where you are stranded and the bike isn't rideable.

Coulda stored it, someone else coulda ridden it. At the rates listed, plane tickets are cheaper than this option. Plus, he'd already budgeted for gas to ride the bike home so that doesn't count.
Two plane tickets to get both Joe and Cec home, and a potential third ticket for someone* to do a fly and ride would've quickly exceeded the $700 mark. We were scheming a plan B which involved shipping the bike and they get a rental car to go home, storing the bike in our garage in Colorado Springs until the shipper could pick it up, but the shipping alone would've been around $600, plus the rental car. These alternatives also ignore Joe's attachment to his baby and having to leave it in a different state in the hands of others would have been difficult.

For the gas, he would have budgeted for a vehicle that gets 40mpg, not 10mpg

*finding that "someone" able to take the not insubstantial time away to do this may be difficult as well

I had no idea this had happened, and I was in that U-Turn training session in Aspen. Sorry to hear about that ankle Joe.

I haven't had much luck with paypal, so I'll just send a check Scott. Tomorrow, after I recuperate from my ride home.

Mike